- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 329839, 8 pages
Stage-Stratified Analysis of Prognostic Significance of Bax-Interacting Factor-1 Expression in Resected Colorectal Cancer
1Department of Internal Medicine, Uijeongbu St. Mary’s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Uijeongbu 480-717, Republic of Korea
2Department of Pathology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul 138-736, Republic of Korea
3Department of Biomedical Science, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul 137-701, Republic of Korea
4Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul 137-701, Republic of Korea
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editor: Raymond L. Konger
Copyright © 2013 Yoon Ho Ko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Pisani, D. M. Parkin, F. Bray, and J. Ferlay, “Estimates of the worldwide mortality from 25 cancers in 1990,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 18–29, 1999.
- J. J. Y. Sung, J. Y. W. Lau, K. L. Goh et al., “Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in Asia: implications for screening,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 871–876, 2005.
- J. Weitz, M. Koch, J. Debus, T. Höhler, P. R. Galle, and M. W. Büchler, “Colorectal cancer,” Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9454, pp. 153–165, 2005.
- S. Hector and J. H. M. Prehn, “Apoptosis signaling proteins as prognostic biomarkers in colorectal cancer: a review,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1795, no. 2, pp. 117–129, 2009.
- S. M. Cuddeback, H. Yamaguchi, K. Komatsu et al., “Molecular cloning and characterization of Bif-1. A novel Src homology 3 domain-containing protein that associates with Bax,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 23, pp. 20559–20565, 2001.
- B. Pierrat, M. Simonen, M. Cueto, J. Mestan, P. Ferrigno, and J. Heim, “SH3GLB, a new endophilin-related protein family featuring an SH3 domain,” Genomics, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 222–234, 2001.
- Y. Takahashi, M. Karbowski, H. Yamaguchi et al., “Loss of Bif-1 suppresses Bax/Bak conformational change and mitochondrial apoptosis,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 9369–9382, 2005.
- Y. Takahashi, D. Coppola, N. Matsushita et al., “Bif-1 interacts with Beclin 1 through UVRAG and regulates autophagy and tumorigenesis,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1142–1151, 2007.
- Y. Takahashi, T. Hori, T. K. Cooper et al., “Bif-1 haploinsufficiency promotes chromosomal instability and accelerates Myc-driven lymphomagenesis via suppression of mitophagy,” Blood, vol. 121, no. 9, pp. 1622–1632, 2013.
- N. Mizushima, B. Levine, A. M. Cuervo, and D. J. Klionsky, “Autophagy fights disease through cellular self-digestion,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7182, pp. 1069–1075, 2008.
- S. Knuutila, Y. Aalto, K. Autio et al., “DNA copy number losses in human neoplasms,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 683–694, 1999.
- J. W. Lee, E. G. Jeong, Y. H. Soung et al., “Decreased expression of tumour suppressor Bax-interacting factor-1 (Bif-1), a Bax activator, in gastric carcinomas,” Pathology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 312–315, 2006.
- D. Coppola, C. Oliveri, Z. Sayegh et al., “Bax-interacting factor-1 expression in prostate cancer,” Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 117–121, 2008.
- S. Y. Kim, Y. L. Oh, K. M. Kim et al., “Decreased expression of Bax-interacting factor-1 (Bif-1) in invasive urinary bladder and gallbladder cancers,” Pathology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 553–557, 2008.
- D. Coppola, J. Helm, M. Ghayouri, M. P. Malafa, and H.-G. Wang, “Down-regulation of bax-interacting factor 1 in human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 433–437, 2011.
- D. Coppola, F. Khalil, S. A. Eschrich, D. Boulware, T. Yeatman, and H.-G. Wang, “Down-regulation of bax-interacting factor-1 in colorectal adenocarcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2665–2670, 2008.
- R. Fan, Y. Miao, X. Shan et al., “Bif-1 is overexpressed in hepatocellular carcinoma and correlates with shortened patient survival,” Oncology Letters, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 851–854, 2012.
- M. S. Kim, N. J. Yoo, and S. H. Lee, “Somatic mutation of pro-cell death Bif-1 gene is rare in common human cancers,” APMIS, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 939–940, 2008.
- T. Knösel, S. Petersen, H. Schwabe et al., “Incidence of chromosomal imbalances in advanced colorectal carcinomas and their metastases,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 440, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 2002.
- J. Camps, G. Armengol, J. del Rey et al., “Genome-wide differences between microsatellite stable and unstable colorectal tumors,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 419–428, 2006.
- A. Jansson and X.-F. Sun, “Bax expression decreases significantly from primary tumor to metastasis in colorectal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 811–816, 2002.
- V. R. Katkoori, C. Suarez-Cuervo, C. Shanmugam et al., “Bax expression is a candidate prognostic and predictive marker of colorectal cancer,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 76–89, 2010.
- I. Sturm, C.-H. Köhne, G. Wolff et al., “Analysis of the p53/BAX pathway in colorectal cancer: low BAX is a negative prognostic factor in patients with resected liver metastases,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1364–1374, 1999.
- J. Ho, J.-W. Kong, L.-Y. Choong et al., “Novel breast cancer metastasis-associated proteins,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 583–594, 2009.
- J. Marx, “Autophagy: is it cancer's friend or foe?” Science, vol. 312, no. 5777, pp. 1160–1161, 2006.
- X. H. Liang, S. Jackson, M. Seaman et al., “Induction of autophagy and inhibition of tumorigenesis by beclin 1,” Nature, vol. 402, no. 6762, pp. 672–676, 1999.
- Y. Takahashi, C. L. Meyerkord, T. Hori et al., “Bif-1 regulates Atg9 trafficking by mediating the fission of Golgi membranes during autophagy,” Autophagy, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 61–73, 2011.
- R. Mathew, V. Karantza-Wadsworth, and E. White, “Assessing metabolic stress and autophagy status in epithelial tumors,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 453, pp. 53–81, 2009.