- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 385604, 8 pages
CD133 Expression in Normal Skin and in Epithelial Cutaneous Tumors
1Department of Pathology, University General Hospital, 03003 Albacete, Spain
2AECC Translational Oncologic Research Unit, University General Hospital, 03003 Albacete, Spain
3Department of Dermatology, University General Hospital, 03003 Albacete, Spain
4Regulation of Cell Growth Laboratory, Inbiomed Foundation, 20009 San Sebastian, Spain
5Department of Pathology, University General Hospital and Murcia University, 30003 Murcia, Spain
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 14 July 2013; Accepted 24 July 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Del Galdo
Copyright © 2013 S. H. Nam-Cha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Sellheyer, “Basal cell carcinoma: cell of origin, cancer stem cell hypothesis and stem cell markers,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 696–711, 2011.
- K. Sellheyer, P. Nelson, and D. Krahl, “Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a tumour of nestin-positive cutaneous mesenchymal stem cells?” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 161, no. 6, pp. 1317–1322, 2009.
- N. Bauer, A.-V. Fonseca, M. Florek et al., “New insights into the cell biology of hematopoietic progenitors by studying prominin-1 (CD133),” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 188, no. 1-2, pp. 127–138, 2008.
- S. Miraglia, W. Godfrey, A. H. Yin et al., “A novel five-transmembrane hematopoietic stem cell antigen: isolation, characterization, and molecular cloning,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 5013–5021, 1997.
- A. H. Yin, S. Miraglia, E. D. Zanjani et al., “AC133, a novel marker for human hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 5002–5012, 1997.
- C. Sagrinati, G. S. Netti, B. Mazzinghi et al., “Isolation and characterization of multipotent progenitor cells from the Bowman's capsule of adult human kidneys,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2443–2456, 2006.
- G. D. Richardson, C. N. Robson, S. H. Lang, D. E. Neal, N. J. Maitland, and A. T. Collins, “CD133, a novel marker for human prostatic epithelial stem cells,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 16, pp. 3539–3545, 2004.
- A. Weigmann, D. Corbeil, A. Hellwig, and W. B. Huttner, “Prominin, a novel microvilli-specific polytopic membrane protein of the apical surface of epithelial cells, is targeted to plasmalemmal protrusions of non-epithelial cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 23, pp. 12425–12430, 1997.
- H. Immervoll, D. Hoem, P. Sakariassen, O. J. Steffensen, and A. Molven, “Expression of the “stem cell marker” CD133 in pancreas and pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas,” BMC Cancer, vol. 8, article 48, 2008.
- S. Wang, Z. Y. Xu, L. F. Wang, and W. Su, “CD133+ cancer stem cells in lung cancer,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 18, pp. 447–453, 2013.
- M. Florek, M. Haase, A.-M. Marzesco et al., “Prominin-1/CD133, a neural and hematopoietic stem cell marker, is expressed in adult human differentiated cells and certain types of kidney cancer,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 319, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2005.
- W. M. Klein, B. P. Wu, S. Zhao, H. Wu, A. J. P. Klein-Szanto, and S. R. Tahan, “Increased expression of stem cell markers in malignant melanoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 102–107, 2007.
- A. Suetsugu, M. Nagaki, H. Aoki, T. Motohashi, T. Kunisada, and H. Moriwaki, “Characterization of CD133+ hepatocellular carcinoma cells as cancer stem/progenitor cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 351, no. 4, pp. 820–824, 2006.
- J. Karbanová, E. Missol-Kolka, A.-V. Fonseca et al., “The stem cell marker CD133 (Prominin-1) is expressed in various human glandular epithelia,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 977–993, 2008.
- D. Mizrak, M. Brittan, and M. R. Alison, “CD133: molecule of the moment,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2008.
- P. E. LeBoit, D. Weedon, and A. Sarasin, Eds., Pathology and Genetics of Skin Tumours, World Heatlh Organization, Lyon, France, 2005.
- S. Chen, M. Takahara, M. Kido et al., “Increased expression of an epidermal stem cell marker, cytokeratin 19, in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 952–955, 2008.
- R. Bieniek, A. J. F. Lazar, C. Photopoulos, and S. Lyle, “Sebaceous tumours contain a subpopulation of cells expressing the keratin 15 stem cell marker,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 378–380, 2007.
- A. Fusi, S. Ochsenreither, A. Busse, A. Rietz, and U. Keilholz, “Expression of the stem cell marker nestin in peripheral blood of patients with melanoma,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2010.
- K. Okudela, T. Woo, H. Mitsui, M. Tajiri, M. Masuda, and K. Ohashi, “Expression of the potential cancer stem cell markers, CD133, CD44, ALDH1, and β-catenin, in primary lung adenocarcinoma—their prognostic significance,” Pathology International, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 792–801, 2012.
- F. Zeppernick, R. Ahmadi, B. Campos et al., “Stem cell marker CD133 affects clinical outcome in glioma patients,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 123–129, 2008.
- M. A. Maw, D. Corbeil, J. Koch et al., “A frameshift mutation in prominin (mouse)-like 1 causes human retinal degeneration,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 2000.
- C. V. Pfenninger, T. Roschupkina, F. Hertwig et al., “CD133 is not present on neurogenic astrocytes in the adult subventricular zone, but on embryonic neural stem cells, ependymal cells, and glioblastoma cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 5727–5736, 2007.
- D. Corbeil, K. Röper, A. Hellwig et al., “The human AC133 hematopoietic stem cell antigen is also expressed in epithelial cells and targeted to plasma membrane protrusions,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 8, pp. 5512–5520, 2000.
- J. Wang, P. Ø. Sakariassen, O. Tsinkalovsky et al., “CD133 negative glioma cells form tumors in nude rats and give rise to CD133 positive cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 761–768, 2008.
- G. Ferrandina, E. Martinelli, M. Petrillo et al., “CD133 antigen expression in ovarian cancer,” BMC Cancer, vol. 9, article 221, 2009.
- K. Kemper, M. R. Sprick, M. de Bree et al., “The AC133 epitope, but not the CD133 protein, is lost upon cancer stem cell differentiation,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 719–729, 2010.