- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 397934, 13 pages
Lovastatin-Enriched Rice Straw Enhances Biomass Quality and Suppresses Ruminal Methanogenesis
1Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
4Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 18 October 2012; Revised 22 December 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ayman El-Kadi
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Faseleh Jahromi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IPCC, “Intergovernmental panel on climate change,” in Summary for Policymaker of Synthesis Report, R. K. Pachauri and A. Reisinger, Eds., Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- P. J. Crutzen, I. Aselmann, and W. Seiler, “Methane production by domestic animals, wild ruminants, other herbivorous fauna, and humans,” Tellus B, vol. 38, no. 3-4, pp. 271–284, 1986.
- A. R. Moss, “Measuring methane production from ruminants,” in Methane: Global Warming and Production by Animals, H. P. S. Makkar and P. E. Vercoe, Eds., p. 105, Chalcombe, Canterbury, UK, 1993.
- F. X. Wildenauer, K. H. Blotevogel, and J. Winter, “Effect of monensin and 2-bromoethanesulfonic acid on fatty acid metabolism and methane production from cattle manure,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 1984.
- S. A. Martin, “Manipulation of ruminal fermentation with organic acids: a review,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 3123–3132, 1998.
- F. Dohme, A. Machmüller, A. Wasserfallen, and M. Kreuzer, “Ruminal methanogenesis as influenced by individual fatty acids supplemented to complete ruminant diets,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2001.
- S. Y. Lee, S. H. Yang, W. S. Lee, H. S. Kim, D. E. Shin, and J. K. Ha, “Effect of 2-bromoethanesulfonic acid on in vitro fermentation characteristics and methanogen population,” Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2009.
- N. Mohammed, N. Ajisaka, Z. A. Lila et al., “Effect of Japanese horseradish oil on methane production and ruminal fermentation in vitro and in steers,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 1839–1846, 2004.
- K. Karimi, G. Emtiazi, and M. J. Taherzadeh, “Ethanol production from dilute-acid pretreated rice straw by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation with Mucor indicus, Rhizopus oryzae, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 138–144, 2006.
- M. D. Summers and B. Jenkins, Using Rice Straw for Energy Production: Economics, Energetics and Emissions. For the Final Requirements of EBS 216: Energy Systems, 2001.
- S. Alborés, M. J. Pianzzola, M. Soubes, and M. P. Cerdeiras, “Biodegradation of agroindustrial wastes by Pleurotus spp for its use as ruminant feed,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 2006.
- S. Koike and Y. Kobayashi, “Development and use of competitive PCR assays for the rumen cellulolytic bacteria: Fibrobacter succinogenes, Ruminococcus albus and Ruminococcus flavefaciens,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 361–366, 2001.
- D. J. Lane, 16S/23S RRNA Sequencing. Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematics, Edited by StackebrandtE & GoodfellowM, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- Y. Yu, C. Lee, J. Kim, and S. Hwang, “Group-specific primer and probe sets to detect methanogenic communities using quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 670–679, 2005.
- J. T. Sylvester, S. K. R. Karnati, Z. Yu, M. Morrison, and J. L. Firkins, “Development of an assay to quantify rumen ciliate protozoal biomass in cows using real-time PCR,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 3378–3384, 2004.
- S. E. Denman and C. S. McSweeney, “Development of a real-time PCR assay for monitoring anaerobic fungal and cellulolytic bacterial populations within the rumen,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 572–582, 2006.
- B. S. Samuel, E. E. Hansen, J. K. Manchester et al., “Genomic and metabolic adaptations of Methanobrevibacter smithii to the human gut,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 25, pp. 10643–10648, 2007.
- M. Zhou, E. Hernandez-Sanabria, and L. G. Le, “Assessment of the microbial ecology of ruminal methanogens in cattle with different feed efficiencies,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 20, pp. 6524–6533, 2009.
- L. S. T. Lai, C. C. Pan, and B. K. Tzeng, “The influence of medium design on lovastatin production and pellet formation with a high-producing mutant of Aspergillus terreus in submerged cultures,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1317–1326, 2003.
- A. W. Alberts, “Discovery, biochemistry and biology of lovastatin,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 62, no. 15, pp. 10–15, 1988.
- Z. Konrad and J. Eichler, “Lipid modification of proteins in Archaea: attachment of a mevalonic acid-based lipid moiety to the surface-layer glycoprotein of Haloferax volcanii follows protein translocation,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 366, no. 3, pp. 959–964, 2002.
- A. Smit and A. Mushegian, “Biosynthesis of isoprenoids via mevalonate in archaea: the lost pathway,” Genome Research, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1468–1484, 2000.
- M. J. Wolin and T. L. Miller, “Control of rumen methanogenesis by inhibiting the growth and activity of methanogens with hydroxymethylglutaryl-SCoA inhibitors,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Greenhouse Gases and Animal Agriculture, Elsevier, Zurich, Switzerland, September 2005.
- M. F. Jahromi, J. B. Liang, Y. W. Ho, M. Rosfarizan, Y. M. Goh, and P. Sokryazdan, “Lovastatin production by Aspergillus terreus using agro-biomass as substrate in solid state fermentation,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 196264, 11 pages, 2012.
- M. A. Hayat, Principles and Techniques of Electron Microscopy: Biological Applications, vol. 4, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- K. H. Menke and H. Steingass, “Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid,” Animal Research and Development, vol. 28, pp. 7–55, 1988.
- J. M. A. Tilley and R. A. Terry, “A two stage technique for the in vitro digestion of forage crops,” Grass and Forage Science, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 104–111, 1963.
- E. Erwin, G. Marco, and E. Emery, “Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 44, pp. 1768–1771, 1961.
- M. Zhou, Y. H. Chung, K. Beauchemin et al., “Relationship between rumen methanogens and methane production in dairy cows fed diets supplemented with a feed enzyme additive,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 1148–1158, 2011.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- SAS, “SAS Institute Inc., SAS OnlineDoc 9. 2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA,” 2008.
- B. K. Lonsane, N. P. Childyal, S. Budiatman, and S. V. Ramakrishna, “Engineering aspects of solid state fermentation,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 258–265, 1985.
- S. Suryanarayan, “Current industrial practice in solid state fermentations for secondary metabolite production: the Biocon India experience,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 189–195, 2003.
- T. L. Miller and M. J. Wolin, “Inhibition of growth of methane-producing bacteria of the ruminant forestomach by hydroxymethylglutaryl SCoA reductase inhibitors,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1445–1448, 2001.
- B. J. Xu, Q. J. Wang, X. Q. Jia, and C. K. Sung, “Enhanced lovastatin production by solid state fermentation of Monascus ruber,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2005.
- G. Emtiazi, N. Naghavi, and A. Bordbar, “Biodegradation of lignocellulosic waste by Aspergillus terreus,” Biodegradation, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 257–261, 2001.
- J. Gao, H. Weng, D. Zhu, M. Yuan, F. Guan, and Y. Xi, “Production and characterization of cellulolytic enzymes from the thermoacidophilic fungal Aspergillus terreus M11 under solid-state cultivation of corn stover,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 16, pp. 7623–7629, 2008.
- J. Gao, H. Weng, Y. Xi, D. Zhu, and S. Han, “Purification and characterization of a novel endo-β-1,4-glucanase from the thermoacidophilic Aspergillus terreus,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 323–327, 2008.
- M. F. Jahromi, J. B. Liang, M. Rosfarizan, Y. M. Goh, P. Shokryazdan, and Y. W. Ho, “Efficiency of rice straw lignocelluloses degradability by Aspergillus terreus ATCC 74135 in solid state fermentation,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 21, pp. 4428–4435, 2011.
- D. Jalč, F. Nerud, and P. Siroka, “The effectiveness of biological treatment of wheat straw by white-rot fungi,” Folia Microbiologica, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 687–689, 1998.
- J. D. Brooker, D. K. Lum, S. Miller, I. Skene, and L. O’Donovan, “Rumen microorganisms as providers of high quality protein,” Livestock Research For Rural Development, vol. 6, no. 3, 1995.
- M. X. T. Alvarez, Molecular ecology of rumen bacterial populations in steers fed molasses diets [Ph.D. thesis], School of Animal Studies, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia, 2007.
- F. Chen, Y. Zhu, X. Dong, L. Liu, L. Huang, and X. Dai, “Lignocellulose degrading bacteria and their genes encoding cellulase/hemicellulase in rumen—a review,” Acta Microbiologica Sinica, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 981–987, 2010.
- T. L. Miller and M. J. Wolin, “Bioconversion of cellulose to acetate with pure cultures of Ruminococcus albus and a hydrogen-using acetogen,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 3832–3835, 1995.
- G. Chamilos, R. E. Lewis, and D. P. Kontoyiannis, “Lovastatin has significant activity against zygomycetes and interacts synergistically with voriconazole,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 96–103, 2006.
- L. Galgóczy, T. Papp, G. Lukács, É. Leiter, I. Pócsi, and C. Vágvölgyi, “Interactions between statins and Penicillium chrysogenum antifungal protein (PAF) to inhibit the germination of sporangiospores of different sensitive Zygomycetes,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2007.
- R. T. Lorenz and L. W. Parks, “Effects of lovastatin (mevinolin) on sterol levels and on activity of azoles in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1660–1665, 1990.
- T. Vaupotič, P. Veranic, U. Petrovič, N. Gunde-Cimerman, and A. Plemenitaš, “HMG-CoA reductase is regulated by environmental salinity and its activity is essential for halotolerance in halophilic fungi,” Studies in Mycology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 2008.
- P. D. Pearce and T. Bauchop, “Glycosidases of the rumen anaerobic fungus Neocallimastix frontalis grown on cellulosic substrates,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1265–1269, 1985.
- N. Yarlett, C. G. Orpin, and E. A. Munn, “Hydrogenosomes in the rumen fungus Neocallimastix patriciarum,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 236, no. 3, pp. 729–739, 1986.
- A. Bernalier, G. Fonty, F. Bonnemoy, and P. Gouet, “Degradation and fermentation of cellulose by the rumen anaerobic fungi in axenic cultures or in association with cellulolytic bacteria,” Current Microbiology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 143–148, 1992.
- J. L. Song, C. N. Lyons, S. Holleman, B. G. Oliver, and T. C. White, “Antifungal activity of fluconazole in combination with lovastatin and their effects on gene expression in the ergosterol and prenylation pathways in Candida albicans,” Medical Mycology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 417–425, 2003.
- L. L. Stoll, M. L. McCormick, G. M. Denning, and N. L. Weintraub, “Antioxidant effects of statins,” Drugs of Today, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 975–990, 2004.
- M. Takemoto, K. Node, H. Nakagami et al., “Statins as antioxidant therapy for preventing cardiac myocyte hypertrophy,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 1429–1437, 2001.