- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 452857, 7 pages
Near-Infrared Spectroscopy of the Urinary Bladder during Voiding in Men with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: A Preliminary Study
1Department of Urology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Geert Grooteplein Zuid 10, P.O. Box 9101, Route 659, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
2Department of Urology, Sohag University Hospital, Sohag University, The University Street, Nasser City, 82524 Sohag, Egypt
3Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Attikon University General Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens, Rimini 1 Street, Haidari 124 62, Athens, Greece
Received 2 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kazem M. Azadzoi
Copyright © 2013 Fawzy F. Farag et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Yang, P. Abrams, J. Donovan, S. Mulligan, and G. Williams, “Transurethral resection or incision of the prostate and other therapies: a survey of treatments for benign prostatic obstruction in the UK,” BJU International, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 640–645, 1999.
- P. Abrams, L. Cardozo, M. Fall et al., “The standardisation of terminology of lower urinary tract function: report from the Standardisation Sub-committee of the International Continence Society,” Neurourology and Urodynamics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 167–178, 2002.
- V. W. Nitti, “Pressure flow urodynamic studies: the gold standard for diagnosing bladder outlet obstruction,” Reviews in Urology, vol. 7, supplement 6, pp. S14–S21, 2005.
- A. Villringer and B. Chance, “Non-invasive optical spectroscopy and imaging of human brain function,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 435–442, 1997.
- M. Ferrari, L. Mottola, and V. Quaresima, “Principles, techniques, and limitations of near infrared spectroscopy,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 463–487, 2004.
- R. Boushel and C. A. Piantadosi, “Near-infrared spectroscopy for monitoring muscle oxygenation,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 168, no. 4, pp. 615–622, 2000.
- A. J. Macnab and L. Stothers, “Near-infrared spectroscopy: validation of bladder-outlet obstruction assessment using non-invasive parameters,” The Canadian Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 4241–4248, 2008.
- A. E. Te, D. E. Chung, R. I. Lee, and S. A. Kaplan, “Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) for application in urology,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 181, pp. 601–602, 2009.
- M. Yurt, E. Süer, Ö. Gülpınar, O. Telli, and N. Arıkan, “Diagnosis of bladder outlet obstruction in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: comparison of near infrared spectroscopy algorithm and pressure flow study in a prospective study,” Urology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 182–186, 2012.
- L. Stothers, R. Guevara, and A. Macnab, “Classification of male lower urinary tract symptoms using mathematical modelling and a regression tree algorithm of noninvasive near-infrared spectroscopy parameters,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 327–333, 2010.
- A. J. Macnab and L. Stothers, “Development of a near-infrared spectroscopy instrument for applications in urology,” The Canadian Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 4233–4240, 2008.
- D. Griffiths, R. van Mastrigt, and R. Bosch, “Quantification of urethral resistance and bladder function during voiding, with special reference to the effects of prostate size reduction on urethral obstruction due to benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Neurourology and Urodynamics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 1989.
- L. Breiman, J. H. Friedman, R. A. Olshen, and C. J. Stone, Classification and Regression Trees 358, Wadsworth International Group, Belmont, Calif, USA, 1984.
- M. C. Hogan, B. Grassi, M. Samaja, C. M. Stary, and L. B. Gladden, “Effect of contraction frequency on the contractile and noncontractile phases of muscle venous blood flow,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 1139–1144, 2003.
- K. M. Azadzoi, M. Pontari, J. Vlachiotis, and M. B. Siroky, “Canine bladder blood flow and oxygenation: changes induced by filling, contraction and outlet obstruction,” Journal of Urology, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 1459–1465, 1996.
- R. T. Kershen, K. M. Azadzoi, and M. B. Siroky, “Blood flow, pressure and compliance in the male human bladder,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 121–125, 2002.
- K. Kroyer, J. Bulow, S. L. Nielsen, and B. Kromann-Andersen, “Urinary bladder blood flow. I. Comparison of clearance of locally injected 99mTechnetium pertechnate and radioactive microsphere technique in dogs,” Urological Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 223–226, 1990.
- F. F. Farag, F. M. Martens, K. W. D'Hauwers, W. F. Feitz, and J. P. Heesakkers, “Near-infrared spectroscopy: a novel, noninvasive, diagnostic method for detrusor overactivity in patients with overactive bladder symptoms—a preliminary and experimental study,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 757–762, 2011.
- R. Boushel, H. Langberg, J. Olesen, J. Gonzales-Alonzo, J. Bülow, and M. Kjær, “Monitoring tissue oxygen availability with near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in health and disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 213–222, 2001.
- D. M. Mancini, L. Bolinger, H. Li, K. Kendrick, B. Chance, and J. R. Wilson, “Validation of near-infrared spectroscopy in humans,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 2740–2747, 1994.
- J. R. Wilson, D. M. Mancini, K. McCully, N. Ferraro, V. Lanoce, and B. Chance, “Noninvasive detection of skeletal muscle underperfusion with near-infrared spectroscopy in patients with heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1668–1674, 1989.
- A. Belenky, Y. Abarbanel, M. Cohen, O. Yossepowitch, P. M. Livne, and G. N. Bachar, “Detrusor resistive index evaluated by Doppler ultrasonography as a potential indicator of bladder outlet obstruction,” Urology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 647–650, 2003.
- H.-T. Liu and H.-C. Kuo, “Urinary nerve growth factor levels are increased in patients with bladder outlet obstruction with overactive bladder symptoms and reduced after successful medical treatment,” Urology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 104–108, 2008.
- Y. Naya, “A possible use of color Doppler flow imaging in predicting the cause of bladder hypertrophy,” Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 139–150, 1997.
- D. E. Chung, R. K. Lee, S. A. Kaplan, and A. E. Te, “Concordance of near infrared spectroscopy with pressure flow studies in men with lower urinary tract symptoms,” Journal of Urology, vol. 184, no. 6, pp. 2434–2439, 2010.
- R. Guevara, L. Stothers, and A. MacNab, “Algorithm construction methodology for diagnostic classification of near-infrared spectroscopy data,” Spectroscopy, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2011.
- F. F. Farag, F. M. Martens, W. F. Feitz, and J. P. Heesakkers, “Feasibility of noninvasive near-infrared spectroscopy to diagnose detrusor overactivity,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 330–335, 2011.
- B. Molavi, G. D. Dumont, B. Shadgan, and A. J. Macnab, “Attenuation of motion artifact in near infrared spectroscopy signals using a wavelet based method,” in Advanced Biomedical and Clinical Diagnostic Systems IX, Proceedings of SPIE, January 2011, 78900M.