- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 465086, 8 pages
The Use of Carbon Nanotubes to Reinforce 45S5 Bioglass-Based Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Applications
1Biomaterial Group, Faculty of Biomedical Engineering (Center of Excellence), Amirkabir University of Technology, P.O. Box 15875-4413, Tehran, Iran
2Department of Gas, Research Institute of Petroleum Industry (RIPI), P.O. Box 14857-3311, West Boulevard, Azadi Sport Complex, Tehran, Iran
3Bioengineering Research Group, Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials Department, Materials and Energy Research Center (MERC), P.O. Box 14155-4777, Tehran, Iran
Received 10 April 2013; Revised 21 September 2013; Accepted 22 September 2013
Academic Editor: Ulrich Kneser
Copyright © 2013 R. Touri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Liu, Z. Xia, and J. T. Czernuszka, “Design and development of three-dimensional scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1051–1064, 2007.
- B. S. Harrison and A. Atala, “Carbon nanotube applications for tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 344–353, 2007.
- S. K. Smart, A. I. Cassady, G. Q. Lu, and D. J. Martin, “The biocompatibility of carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1034–1047, 2006.
- K. Sahithi, M. Swetha, K. Ramasamy, N. Srinivasan, and N. Selvamurugan, “Polymeric composites containing carbon nanotubes for bone tissue engineering,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 281–283, 2010.
- A. A. White, S. M. Best, and I. A. Kinloch, “Hydroxyapatite-carbon nanotube composites for biomedical applications: a review,” International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2007.
- R. Sen, B. Zhao, D. Perea et al., “Preparation of single-walled carbon nanotube reinforced polystyrene and polyurethane nanofibers and membranes by electrospinning,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 459–464, 2004.
- J.-E. Huang, X.-H. Li, J.-C. Xu, and H.-L. Li, “Well-dispersed single-walled carbon nanotube/polyaniline composite films,” Carbon, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 2731–2736, 2003.
- T. Kuzumaki, O. Ujiie, H. Ichinose, and K. Ito, “Mechanical characteristics and preparation of carbon nanotube fiber-reinforced Ti composite,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 416–418, 2000.
- T. Laha, S. Kuchibhatla, S. Seal, W. Li, and A. Agarwal, “Interfacial phenomena in thermally sprayed multiwalled carbon nanotube reinforced aluminum nanocomposite,” Acta Materialia, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1059–1066, 2007.
- C. F. Deng, D. Z. Wang, X. X. Zhang, and Y. X. Ma, “Damping characteristics of carbon nanotube reinforced aluminum composite,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 14-15, pp. 3229–3231, 2007.
- A. Peigney, C. Laurent, E. Flahaut, and A. Rousset, “Carbon nanotubes in novel ceramic matrix nanocomposites,” Ceramics International, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 677–683, 2000.
- C. Balázsi, Z. Kónya, F. Wéber, L. P. Biró, and P. Arató, “Preparation and characterization of carbon nanotube reinforced silicon nitride composites,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 23, no. 6–8, pp. 1133–1137, 2003.
- F. Lupo, R. Kamalakaran, C. Scheu, N. Grobert, and M. Rühle, “Microstructural investigations on zirconium oxide-carbon nanotube composites synthesized by hydrothermal crystallization,” Carbon, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1995–1999, 2004.
- S. Rul, F. Lefèvre-Schlick, E. Capria, C. Laurent, and A. Peigney, “Percolation of single-walled carbon nanotubes in ceramic matrix nanocomposites,” Acta Materialia, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 1061–1067, 2004.
- Z. Xia, L. Riester, W. A. Curtin et al., “Direct observation of toughening mechanisms in carbon nanotube ceramic matrix composites,” Acta Materialia, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 931–944, 2004.
- Y. Wang, Z. Iqbal, and S. Mitra, “Rapid, low temperature microwave synthesis of novel carbon nanotube-silicon carbide composite,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 13, pp. 2804–2808, 2006.
- J. Wang, H. Kou, X. Liu, Y. Pan, and J. Guo, “Reinforcement of mullite matrix with multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Ceramics International, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 719–722, 2007.
- M. Mattioli-Belmonte, G. Vozzi, Y. Whulanza et al., “Tuning polycaprolactone-carbon nanotube composites for bone tissue engineering scaffolds,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 152–159, 2012.
- M. Charlotte Schausten, D. Meng, R. Telle, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Electrophoretic deposition of carbon nanotubes and bioactive glass particles for bioactive composite coatings,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 307–312, 2010.
- Z. Jia, J. Zhang, C. Jia, J. Nie, and K. Chu, “Preparation and characterization of mechanical properties of carbon nanotube/45S5Bioglass composites for biologic applications,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 528, no. 3, pp. 1553–1557, 2011.
- Q.-Z. Chen, Y. Li, L.-Y. Jin, J. M. W. Quinn, and P. A. Komesaroff, “A new sol-gel process for producing Na2O-containing bioactive glass ceramics,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 4143–4153, 2010.
- R. Ravarian, F. Moztarzadeh, M. S. Hashjin, S. M. Rabiee, P. Khoshakhlagh, and M. Tahriri, “Synthesis, characterization and bioactivity investigation of bioglass/hydroxyapatite composite,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 291–297, 2010.
- A. Saboori, M. Rabiee, F. Moztarzadeh, M. Sheikhi, M. Tahriri, and M. Karimi, “Synthesis, characterization and in vitro bioactivity of sol-gel-derived SiO2-CaO-P2O5-MgO bioglass,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 335–340, 2009.
- N. Li, Q. Jie, S. Zhu, and R. Wang, “Preparation and characterization of macroporous sol-gel bioglass,” Ceramics International, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 641–646, 2005.
- S. Deville, “Freeze-casting of porous ceramics: a review of current achievements and issues,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 155–169, 2008.
- S. Deville, E. Saiz, and A. P. Tomsia, “Freeze casting of hydroxyapatite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5480–5489, 2006.
- Z. Sadeghian, “Large-scale production of multi-walled carbon nanotubes by low-cost spray pyrolysis of hexane,” New Carbon Materials, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2009.
- Q. Z. Chen, I. D. Thompson, and A. R. Boccaccini, “45S5 Bioglass-derived glass-ceramic scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2414–2425, 2006.
- L. Jing, K. Zuo, Z. Fuqiang et al., “The controllable microstructure of porous Al2O3 ceramics prepared via a novel freeze casting route,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 2499–2503, 2010.
- T. Waschkies, R. Oberacker, and M. J. Hoffmann, “Control of lamellae spacing during freeze casting of ceramics using double-side cooling as a novel processing route,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. S79–S84, 2009.
- M. E. Launey, E. Munch, D. H. Alsem, E. Saiz, A. P. Tomsia, and R. O. Ritchie, “A novel biomimetic approach to the design of high-performance ceramic—metal composites,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 7, no. 46, pp. 741–753, 2010.
- O. Bretcanu, X. Chatzistavrou, K. Paraskevopoulos, R. Conradt, I. Thompson, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Sintering and crystallisation of 45S5 Bioglass powder,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 16, pp. 3299–3306, 2009.
- M. Mozafari, F. Moztarzadeh, M. Rabiee et al., “Development of macroporous nanocomposite scaffolds of gelatin/bioactive glass prepared through layer solvent casting combined with lamination technique for bone tissue engineering,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 2431–2439, 2010.
- P. Chen, X. Wu, X. Sun, J. Lin, W. Ji, and K. L. Tan, “Electronic structure and optical limiting behavior of carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 2548–2551, 1999.
- J. L. Xu, K. A. Khor, J. J. Sui, and W. N. Chen, “Preparation and characterization of a novel hydroxyapatite/carbon nanotubes composite and its interaction with osteoblast-like cells,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2009.
- N. Nezafati, F. Moztarzadeh, S. Hesaraki, and M. Mozafari, “Synergistically reinforcement of a self-setting calcium phosphate cement with bioactive glass fibers,” Ceramics International, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 927–934, 2011.