- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 485246, 9 pages
Ethanol Postpolymerization Treatment for Improving the Biocompatibility of Acrylic Reline Resins
1Biomedical and Oral Sciences Research Unit (UICOB), Department of Oral Rehabilitation, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Lisbon, 1649-003 Lisbon, Portugal
2Research Institute for Medicines and Pharmaceutical Sciences (iMed.UL), Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, 1649-003 Lisbon, Portugal
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 29 June 2013
Academic Editor: Satoshi Imazato
Copyright © 2013 Cristina B. Neves et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Haywood, R. M. Basker, C. J. Watson, and D. J. Wood, “A comparison of three hard chairside denture reline materials. Part I. Clinical evaluation,” The European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 157–163, 2003.
- H. Rawls, “Dental polymers,” in Phillips'Science of Dental Materials, K. J. Anusavice, Ed., Chapter 7, pp. 143–169, Elsevier Science, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 11th edition, 2003.
- A. F. Bettencourt, C. B. Neves, M. S. de Almeida et al., “Biodegradation of acrylic based resins: a review,” Dental Materials, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. e171–e180, 2010.
- C. De Andrade Lima Chaves, A. L. Machado, C. E. Vergani, R. F. De Souza, and E. T. Giampaolo, “Cytotoxicity of denture base and hard chairside reline materials: a systematic review,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 114–127, 2012.
- C. Bural, E. Aktas, G. Deniz, Y. Ünlüçerçi, N. Kızılcand, and G. Bayraktara, “Effect of post-polymerization heat-treatments on degree of conversion, leaching residual MMA and in vitro cytotoxicity of autopolymerizing acrylic repair resin,” Dental Materials, vol. 27, pp. 1135–1143, 2011.
- P. K. Vallittu, V. Miettinen, and P. Alakuijala, “Residual monomer content and its release into water from denture base materials,” Dental Materials, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 338–342, 1995.
- V. M. Urban, A. L. Machado, R. V. Oliveira, C. E. Vergani, A. C. Pavarina, and Q. B. Cass, “Residual monomer of reline acrylic resins. Effect of water-bath and microwave post-polymerization treatments,” Dental Materials, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 363–368, 2007.
- T. Koda, H. Tsuchiya, M. Yamauchi, S. Ohtani, N. Takagi, and J. Kawano, “Leachability of denture-base acrylic resins in artificial saliva,” Dental Materials, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 13–16, 1990.
- S. Baker, S. C. Brooks, and D. M. Walker, “The release of residual monomeric methyl methacrylate from acrylic appliances in the human mouth: an assay for monomer in saliva,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 1295–1299, 1988.
- C. D. A. L. Chaves, A. L. MacHado, I. Z. Carlos, E. T. Giampaolo, A. C. Pavarina, and C. E. Vergani, “Cytotoxicity of monomers, plasticizer and degradation by-products released from dental hard chairside reline resins,” Dental Materials, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1017–1023, 2010.
- N. H. Campanha, A. C. Pavarina, E. T. Giampaolo, A. L. Machado, I. Z. Carlos, and C. E. Vergani, “Cytotoxicity of hard chairside reline resins: effect of microwave irradiation and water bath postpolymerization treatments,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 2006.
- P. H. H. Arajo, C. Sayer, R. Giudici, and J. G. R. Poo, “Techniques for reducing residual monomer content in polymers: a review,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1442–1468, 2002.
- V. M. Urban, A. L. Machado, C. E. Vergani et al., “Effect of water-bath post-polymerization on the mechanical properties, degree of conversion, and leaching of residual compounds of hard chairside reline resins,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 662–671, 2009.
- V. M. Urban, A. L. MacHado, M. O. Alves, A. P. MacIel, C. E. Vergani, and E. R. Leite, “Glass transition temperature of hard chairside reline materials after post-polymerisation treatments,” Gerodontology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 230–235, 2010.
- A. R. Gonçalves, A. L. Machado, E. T. Giampaolo, A. C. Pavarina, and C. E. Vergani, “Linear dimensional changes of denture base and hard chair-side reline resins after disinfection,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 1821–1826, 2006.
- O. Polydorou, A. König, E. Hellwig, and K. Kümmerer, “Long-term release of monomers from modern dental-composite materials,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2009.
- J. L. Ferracane and J. R. Condon, “Rate of elution of leachable components from composite,” Dental Materials, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 282–287, 1990.
- A. F. Boeckler, D. Morton, S. Poser, and K.-E. Dette, “Release of dibenzoyl peroxide from polymethyl methacrylate denture base resins: an in vitro evaluation,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1602–1607, 2008.
- T. Kawahara, Y. Nomura, N. Tanaka, W. Teshima, M. Okazaki, and H. Shintani, “Leachability of plasticizer and residual monomer from commercial temporary restorative resins,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2004.
- A. Bettencourt, A. Calado, J. Amaral et al., “The effect of ethanol on acrylic bone cement,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 97–102, 2002.
- K. Fujii, H. Arikawa, T. Kanie, O. Kamiunten, and K. Miura, “Effect of ethanol on the hardness and relaxation modulus of experimental photo-activated soft lining materials stored in aqueous solutions,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 770–776, 2002.
- D. F. Williams, “On the nature of biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 30, pp. 5897–5909, 2009.
- T. Arima, H. Murata, and T. Hamada, “Analysis of composition and structure of hard autopolymerizing reline resins,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 346–352, 1996.
- International Standard ISO Specification 20795-1, Dentistry-Base Polymers-Part 1: Denture Base Polymers, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1st edition, 2008.
- D. G. Ribeiro, A. C. Pavarina, A. L. Machado, E. T. Giampaolo, and C. E. Vergani, “Flexural strength and hardness of reline and denture base acrylic resins after different exposure times of microwave disinfection,” Quintessence International, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 833–840, 2008.
- International Standard ISO Specification 10993-5, Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices—Part 5: Tests for in Vitro Cytotoxicity, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 3rd edition, 2009.
- A. F. Barton, Handbook of Solubility Parameters and Other Cohesion Parameters, CRC Press, 2nd edition, 1991.
- J. L. Ferracane, “Hygroscopic and hydrolytic effects in dental polymer networks,” Dental Materials, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 211–222, 2006.
- A. P. R. V. Pedreira, L. F. Pegoraro, M. F. de Góes, T. A. Pegoraro, and R. M. Carvalho, “Microhardness of resin cements in the intraradicular environment: effects of water storage and softening treament,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 868–876, 2009.
- R. R. Regis, N. C. Soriani, A. M. Azevedo, C. H. Silva-Lovato, H. F. Oliveira Paranhos, and R. F. De Souza, “Effects of ethanol on the surface and bulk properties of a microwave-processed PMMA denture base resin,” Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 489–495, 2009.
- F.-M. Huang, K.-W. Tai, C.-C. Hu, and Y.-C. Chang, “Cytotoxic effects of denture base materials on a permanent human oral epithelial cell line and on primary human oral fibroblasts in vitro,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 439–443, 2001.
- J. H. Jorge, E. T. Giampaolo, C. E. Vergani, A. L. Machado, A. C. Pavarina, and I. Z. Carlos, “Biocompatibility of denture base acrylic resins evaluated in culture of L929 cells. Effect of polymerisation cycle and post-polymerisation treatments,” Gerodontology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2007.
- Y. Issa, D. C. Watts, P. A. Brunton, C. M. Waters, and A. J. Duxbury, “Resin composite monomers alter MTT and LDH activity of human gingival fibroblasts in vitro,” Dental Materials, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2004.
- D. A. Tipton, B. Lyle, H. Babich, and M. K. Dabbous, “In vitro cytotoxic and anti-inflammatory effects of myrrh oil on human gingival fibroblasts and epithelial cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 301–310, 2003.
- J. H. Jorge, E. T. Giampaolo, C. E. Vergani, A. L. Machado, A. C. Pavarina, and I. Z. Carlos, “Cytotoxicity of denture base resins: effect of water bath and microwave postpolymerization heat treatments,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 340–344, 2004.
- H.-W. Yang, L. S.-S. Chou, M.-Y. Chou, and Y.-C. Chang, “Assessment of genetic damage by methyl methacrylate employing in vitro mammalian test system,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 17, pp. 2909–2914, 2003.
- H. Schweikl, G. Spagnuolo, and G. Schmalz, “Genetic and cellular toxicology of dental resin monomers,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 870–877, 2006.
- O. Trubiani, E. Toniato, D. Di Iorio et al., “Morphological analysis and interleukin release in human gingival fibroblasts seeded on different denture base acrylic resins,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 25, pp. 637–643, 2012.