- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 591634, 10 pages
Arsenate Retention by Epipsammic Biofilms Developed on Streambed Sediments: Influence of Phosphate
1Department of Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Facultad de Farmacia, Campus Vida, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
2Defense University Center, Escuela Naval Militar, Plaza de España 2, 36920 Marín, Spain
Received 27 June 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ana Moldes
Copyright © 2013 D. M. Prieto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Rosen, “Theoretical significance of arsenic as a carcinogen,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 425–426, 1971.
- D. K. Nordstrom, “Worldwide occurrences of arsenic in ground water,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5576, pp. 2143–2145, 2002.
- H. M. Anawar, J. Akai, K. M. G. Mostofa, S. Safiullah, and S. M. Tareq, “Arsenic poisoning in groundwater: health risk and geochemical sources in Bangladesh,” Environment International, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 597–604, 2001.
- WHO, Guidelines For Drinking Water Quality, Geneva, Switzerland, 2nd edition, 1993.
- P. L. Smedley and D. G. Kinniburgh, “A review of the source, behaviour and distribution of arsenic in natural waters,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 517–568, 2002.
- K. A. Francesconi, D. A. Hunter, B. Bachmann, G. Raber, and W. Goessler, “Uptake and transformation of arsenosugars in the shrimp Crangon,” Applied Organometallic Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 669–679, 1999.
- H. Genç-Fuhrman, J. C. Tjell, and D. McConchie, “Adsorption of arsenic from water using activated neutralized red mud,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 2428–2434, 2004.
- L. C. D. Andersen and K. W. Bruland, “Biogeochemistry of arsenic in natural waters: the importance of methylated species,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 420–427, 1991.
- A. A. Duker, E. J. M. Carranza, and M. Hale, “Arsenic geochemistry and health,” Environment International, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 631–641, 2005.
- D. Páez-Espino, J. Tamames, V. De Lorenzo, and D. Cánovas, “Microbial responses to environmental arsenic,” BioMetals, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 117–130, 2009.
- J. S. Edmonds and K. A. Francesconi, “Arseno-sugars from brown kelp (Ecklonia radiata) as intermediates in cycling of arsenic in a marine ecosystem,” Nature, vol. 289, no. 5798, pp. 602–604, 1981.
- J. S. Edmonds, K. A. Francesconi, J. R. Cannon, C. L. Raston, B. W. Skelton, and A. H. White, “Isolation, crystal structure and synthesis of arsenobetaine, the arsenical constituent of the western rock lobster panulirus longipes cygnus George,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 1543–1546, 1977.
- H. Norin, R. Ryhage, A. Christakopoulos, and M. Sandstrom, “New evidence for the presence of arsenocholine in shrimps (Pandalus borealis) by use of pyrolysis gas chromatography: atomic absorption spectrometry/mass spectrometry,” Chemosphere, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 299–315, 1983.
- S. X. C. Le, W. R. Cullen, and K. J. Reimer, “Speciation of arsenic compounds in some marine organisms,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1598–1604, 1994.
- J. C. Ng, “Environmental contamination of arsenic and its toxicological impact on humans,” Environmental Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 146–160, 2005.
- S. Wang and C. N. Mulligan, “Natural attenuation processes for remediation of arsenic contaminated soils and groundwater,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 459–470, 2006.
- D. Rubinos, M. T. Barral, B. Ruíz et al., “Phosphate and arsenate retention in sediments of the Anllóns river (northwest Spain),” Water Science and Technology, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 159–166, 2003.
- B. C. Bostick, C. Chen, and S. Fendorf, “Arsenite retendion mechanisms within estuarine sediments of Pescadero, CA,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 3299–3304, 2004.
- K. G. Stollenwerk, G. N. Breit, A. H. Welch et al., “Arsenic attenuation by oxidized aquifer sediments in Bangladesh,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 379, no. 2-3, pp. 133–150, 2007.
- L. Borgnino, C. P. de Pauli, and P. J. Depetris, “Arsenate adsorption at the sediment-water interface: sorption experiments and modelling,” Environmental Earth Sciences, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 441–451, 2012.
- S. K. Mandal, N. Majumder, C. Chowdhury, D. Ganguly, M. Dey, and T. K. Jana, “Adsorption kinetic control of As(III & V) mobilization and sequestration by Mangrove sediment,” Environmental Earth Sciences, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 2027–2036, 2012.
- R. De Vitre, N. Belzile, and A. Tessier, “Speciation and adsorption of arsenic on diagenetic iron oxyhydroxides,” Limnology & Oceanography, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1480–1485, 1991.
- K. A. Sullivan and R. C. Aller, “Diagenetic cycling of arsenic in Amazon shelf sediments,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1465–1477, 1996.
- F. Liu, A. De Cristofaro, and A. Violante, “Effect of pH, phosphate and oxalate on the adsorption/desorption of arsenate on/from goethite,” Soil Science, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 197–208, 2001.
- E. H. Larsen and S. H. Hansen, “Separation of arsenic species by ion-pair and ion exchange high performance liquid chromatography,” Mikrochimica Acta, vol. 109, no. 1–4, pp. 47–51, 1992.
- B. A. Manning and S. Goldberg, “Modeling competitive adsorption of arsenate with phosphate and molybdate,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 31, pp. 2005–2011, 1996.
- D. I. Kaplan and A. S. Knox, “Enhanced contaminant desorption induced by phosphate mineral additions to sediment,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 3153–3160, 2004.
- M. Bauer and C. Blodau, “Mobilization of arsenic by dissolved organic matter from iron oxides, soils and sediments,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 354, no. 2-3, pp. 179–190, 2006.
- D. Rubinos, L. Iglesias, R. Devesa-Rey, F. Díaz-Fierros, and M. T. Barral, “Arsenic release from river sediments in a gold-mining area (Anllóns River basin, Spain): effect of time, pH and phosphorous concentration,” European Journal of Mineralogy, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 665–678, 2010.
- D. A. Rubinos, L. Iglesias, F. Díaz-Fierros, and M. T. Barral, “Interacting effect of pH, phosphate and time on the release of arsenic from polluted river sediments (Anllóns River, Spain),” Aquatic Geochemistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 281–306, 2011.
- I. A. Katsoyiannis and A. I. Zouboulis, “Application of biological processes for the removal of arsenic from groundwaters,” Water Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 2004.
- H. K. Hansen, A. Ribeiro, and E. Mateus, “Biosorption of arsenic(V) with Lessonia nigrescens,” Minerals Engineering, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 486–490, 2006.
- D. Teclu, G. Tivchev, M. Laing, and M. Wallis, “Bioremoval of arsenic species from contaminated waters by sulphate-reducing bacteria,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 19, pp. 4885–4893, 2008.
- J. W. Costerton, The Biofilm Primer, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- S. Sabater, H. Guasch, M. Ricart et al., “Monitoring the effect of chemicals on biological communities. The biofilm as an interface,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 387, no. 4, pp. 1425–1434, 2007.
- R. Devesa-Rey, R. Paradelo, F. Díaz-Fierros, and M. T. Barral, “Fractionation and bioavailability of arsenic in the bed sediments of the Anllóns River (NW Spain),” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 195, no. 1–4, pp. 189–199, 2008.
- F. Guitián and T. Carballas, Técnicas de Análisis de Suelos, Pico Sacro, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 1976.
- J. Murphy and J. P. Riley, “A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 27, pp. 31–36, 1962.
- APHA, Standard Methods For the Examination of Water and Waste Water, The American Public Health Association, The American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, 21st edition, 2005.
- H. Freundlich, “Adsorption in solutions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 57, pp. 384–410, 1906.
- I. Langmuir, “The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1361–1403, 1918.
- M. M. Dubinin and L. V. Radushkevich, “The equation of the characteristic curve of activated charcoal,” Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, vol. 55, pp. 327–329, 1947.
- C. Quintelas, B. Fonseca, B. Silva, H. Figueiredo, and T. Tavares, “Treatment of chromium(VI) solutions in a pilot-scale bioreactor through a biofilm of Arthrobacter viscosus supported on GAC,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 220–226, 2009.
- M. I. Temkin and V. Pyzhev, “Kinetics of ammonia synthesis on promoted iron catalyst,” Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica, vol. 12, pp. 327–356, 1940.
- O. Redlich and D. L. Peterson, “A useful adsorption isotherm,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 63, no. 6, p. 1024, 1959.
- R. Sips, “Combined form of Langmuir and Freundlich equations,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 16, pp. 490–495, 1948.
- C. Quintelas, B. Silva, H. Figueiredo, and T. Tavares, “Removal of organic compounds by a biofilm supported on GAC: modelling of batch and column data,” Biodegradation, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 379–392, 2010.
- J. Toth, “State equations of the solid-gas interface layer,” Acta Chimica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae, vol. 69, pp. 311–328, 1971.
- K. Y. Foo and B. H. Hameed, “Insights into the modeling of adsorption isotherm systems,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 2–10, 2010.
- P. H. Simms, E. K. Yanful, L. St-Arnaud, and B. Aubé, “A laboratory evaluation of metal release and transport in flooded pre-oxidized mine tailings,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1245–1263, 2000.
- F. J. Zhao, J. F. Ma, A. A. Meharg, and S. P. McGrath, “Arsenic uptake and metabolism in plants,” New Phytologist, vol. 181, no. 4, pp. 777–794, 2009.
- I. B. Karadjova, V. I. Slaveykova, and D. L. Tsalev, “The biouptake and toxicity of arsenic species on the green microalga Chlorella salina in seawater,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 264–271, 2008.
- N. Wang, Y. Li, X. Deng, A. Miao, R. Ji, and L. Yang, “Toxicity and bioaccumulation kinetics of arsenate in two freshwater green algae under different phosphate regimes,” Water Research, vol. 47, pp. 2497–2506, 2003.
- C. Quintelas and T. Tavares, “Removal of chromium(Vi) and cadmium(II) from aqueous solution by a bacterial biofilm supported on granular activated carbon,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 23, no. 16, pp. 1349–1353, 2001.
- M. Pazos, M. Branco, I. C. Neves, M. A. Sanromán, and T. Tavares, “Removal of Cr(VI) from aqueous solutions by a bacterial biofilm supported on zeolite: optimisation of the operational conditions and scale-up of the bioreactor,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2008–2014, 2010.
- C. Quintelas, R. Pereira, E. Kaplan, and T. Tavares, “Removal of Ni(II) from aqueous solutions by an Arthrobacter viscosus biofilm supported on zeolite: from laboratory to pilot scale,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 142, pp. 368–374, 2013.
- S.-Y. Kang, P. J. Bremer, K.-W. Kim, and A. J. McQuillan, “Monitoring metal ion binding in single-layer Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms using ATR: IR spectroscopy,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 286–291, 2006.
- S. Brunauer, L. S. Deming, W. E. Deming, and E. Teller, “On a theory of the van der Waals adsorption of gases,” Journal of The American Chemical Society, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1723–1732, 1940.
- T. W. Weber and P. K. Chakarvorti, “Pore and solid diffusion models for fixed-bed adsorbers,” The American Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 20, pp. 228–237, 1947.