- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 762805, 7 pages
The Presence of Asthma, the Use of Inhaled Steroids, and Parental Education Level Affect School Performance in Children
1Michalinio Pediatric Development Centre, Ministry of Employment, Athens, Greece
2Respiratory Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Academic General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Dragana, Alexandroupolis, Thrace, Greece
3Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Democritus University of Thrace, Xanthi, Greece
4Department of Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics, University of the Aegean, Samos, Greece
5Respiratory Department, General Hospital of Athens “ELPIS,” Athens, Greece
Received 22 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Oscar Palomares
Copyright © 2013 A. Tsakiris et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Mannino, D. M. Homa, L. J. Akinbami, J. E. Moorman, C. Gwynn, and S. C. Redd, “Surveillance for asthma—United States, 1980–1999,” MMWR. Surveillance summaries, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2002.
- I. J. M. Doull, A. A. Williams, N. J. Freezer, and S. T. Holgate, “Descriptive study of cough, wheeze and school absence in childhood,” Thorax, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 630–631, 1996.
- C. Crump, D. Rivera, R. London, M. Landau, B. Erlendson, and E. Rodriguez, “Chronic health conditions and school performance among children and youth,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 179–184, 2013.
- P. W. Newacheck and N. Halfon, “Prevalence, impact, and trends in childhood disability due to asthma,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 287–293, 2000.
- L. B. Gutstadt, J. W. Gillette, D. A. Mrazek, J. T. Fukuhara, J. F. LaBrecque, and R. C. Strunk, “Determinants of school performance in children with chronic asthma,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 471–475, 1989.
- H. Taras and W. Potts-Datema, “Childhood asthma and student performance at school,” Journal of School Health, vol. 75, no. 8, pp. 296–312, 2005.
- M. D. Silverstein, J. E. Mair, S. K. Katusic, P. C. Wollan, E. J. O'Connell, and J. W. Yunginger, “School attendance and school performance: a population-based study of children with asthma,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 278–283, 2001.
- M. W. Millard, P. T. Johnson, A. Hilton, and M. Hart, “Children with asthma miss more school fact or fiction?” Chest, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 303–306, 2009.
- L. S. Ohlund and K. B. Ericsson, “Elementary school achievement and absence due to illness,” The Journal of Genetic Psychology, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 409–421, 1994.
- M. G. Fowler, M. G. Davenport, and R. Garg, “School functioning of US children with asthma,” Pediatrics, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 939–944, 1992.
- A. Le Louarn and B. Schweitzer, “Relationship between asthma or asthma-related symptoms and school problems among French children attending kindergarten,” Revue d'Epidemiologie et de Sante Publique, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2004.
- F. Bacopoulou, A. Veltsista, I. Vassi et al., “Can we be optimistic about asthma in childhood? A Greek cohort study,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 171–174, 2009.
- M. B. Anthracopoulos, A. Pandiora, S. Fouzas, E. Panagiotopoulou, E. Liolios, and K. N. Priftis, “Sex-specific trends in prevalence of childhood asthma over 30 years in Patras, Greece,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 1000–1005, 2011.
- N. G. Papadopoulos, H. Arakawa, K. H. Carlsen et al., “International consensus on(ICON) pediatric asthma,” Allergy, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 976–997, 2012.