- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 782847, 8 pages
Endophytic Actinomycetes: A Novel Source of Potential Acyl Homoserine Lactone Degrading Enzymes
1Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
2Mahidol University-Osaka University Collaborative Research Center for Bioscience and Biotechnology (MU-OU:CRC), Bangkok, Thailand
3Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
4Center of Excellence on Agricultural Biotechnology (AG-BIO/PERDO-CHE), Bangkok, Thailand
5Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Received 7 November 2012; Revised 28 December 2012; Accepted 2 January 2013
Academic Editor: Bertrand Aigle
Copyright © 2013 Surang Chankhamhaengdecha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Chadwick and J. Goode, Antibiotic Resistance: Origins, Evolution, Selection, and Spread, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- A. E. Clatworthy, E. Pierson, and D. T. Hung, “Targeting virulence: a new paradigm for antimicrobial therapy,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 541–548, 2007.
- M. B. Miller and B. L. Bassler, “Quorum sensing in bacteria,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 55, pp. 165–199, 2001.
- N. A. Whitehead, A. M. L. Barnard, H. Slater, N. J. L. Simpson, and G. P. C. Salmond, “Quorum-sensing in Gram-negative bacteria,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 365–404, 2006.
- S. C. Winans, “Command, control and communication in bacterial pathogenesis,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 382–383, 1998.
- Y. H. Dong, J. L. Xu, X. Z. Li, and L. H. Zhang, “AiiA, an enzyme that inactivates the acylhomoserine lactone quorum-sensing signal and attenuates the virulence of Erwinia carotovora,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 3526–3531, 2000.
- T. Morohoshi, S. Nakazawa, A. Ebata, N. Kato, and T. Ikeda, “Identification and characterization of N-acylhomoserine lactone-acylase from the fish intestinal Shewanella sp. strain MIB015,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 1887–1893, 2008.
- S. Y. Park, H. O. Kang, H. S. Jang, J. K. Lee, B. T. Koo, and D. Y. Yum, “Identification of extracellular N-acylhomoserine lactone acylase from a Streptomyces sp. and its application to quorum quenching,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 2632–2641, 2005.
- S. Uroz, P. Oger, S. R. Chhabra, M. Cámara, P. Williams, and Y. Dessaux, “N-acyl homoserine lactones are degraded via an amidolytic activity in Comamonas sp. strain D1,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 249–256, 2007.
- K. W. Hong, C. L. Koh, C. K. Sam, W. F. Yin, and K. G. Chan, “Quorum quenching revisited-from signal decays to signalling confusion,” Sensors, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 4661–4696, 2012.
- I. Saadoun, R. Rawashdeh, T. Dayeh, Q. Ababneh, and A. Mahasneh, “Isolation, characterization and screening for fiber hydrolytic enzymes-producing streptomycetes of Jordanian forest soils,” Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 120–128, 2007.
- H. Tan, Z. Deng, and L. Cao, “Isolation and characterization of actinomycetes from healthy goat faeces,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 248–253, 2009.
- A. T. Bull, M. Goodfellow, and J. H. Slater, “Biodiversity as a source of innovation in biotechnology,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 46, pp. 219–252, 1992.
- M. Anupama, K. J. P. Narayana, and M. Vijayalakshmi, “Screening of Streptomyces purpeofuscus for antimicrobial metabolites,” Research Journal of Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 992–994, 2007.
- C. Cha, P. Gao, Y. C. Chen, P. D. Shaw, and S. K. Farrand, “Production of acyl-homoserine lactone quorum-sensing signals by gram-negative plant-associated bacteria,” Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1119–1129, 1998.
- K. H. McClean, M. K. Winson, L. Fish et al., “Quorum sensing and Chromobacterium violaceum: exploitation of violacein production and inhibition for the detection of N-acylhomoserine lactones,” Microbiology, vol. 143, no. 12, pp. 3703–3711, 1997.
- M. D. Chilton, T. C. Currier, and S. K. Farrand, “Agrobacterium tumefaciens DNA and PS8 bacteriophage DNA not detected in crown gall tumors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 3672–3676, 1974.
- D. J. Lane, “16S/23S rRNA sequencing,” in Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematics, E. Stackerbrand and M. Goodfellow, Eds., John Wiley and Sons, 1991.
- F. Sanger, S. Nicklen, and A. R. Coulson, “DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 5463–5467, 1977.
- T. Burr, A. M. L. Barnard, M. J. Corbett, C. L. Pemberton, N. J. L. Simpson, and G. P. C. Salmond, “Identification of the central quorum sensing regulator of virulence in the enteric phytopathogen, Erwinia carotovora: The VirR repressor,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 113–125, 2006.
- J. G. Holt, N. R. Krieg, P. H. A. Sneath, J. T. Staley, and S. T. Williams, Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Hagerstown, Md, USA, 1994.
- S. J. Lee, S. Y. Park, J. J. Lee, D. Y. Yum, B. T. Koo, and J. K. Lee, “Genes encoding the N-acyl homoserine lactone-degrading enzyme are widespread in many subspecies of Bacillus thuringiensis,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 3919–3924, 2002.
- L. Molina, F. Constantinescu, L. Michel, C. Reimmann, B. Duffy, and G. Défago, “Degradation of pathogen quorum-sensing molecules by soil bacteria: a preventive and curative biological control mechanism,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 71–81, 2003.
- G. Strobel, “Harnessing endophytes for industrial microbiology,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 240–244, 2006.
- J. R. Leadbetter and E. P. Greenberg, “Metabolism of acyl-homoserine lactone quorum-sensing signals by Variovorax paradoxus,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 182, no. 24, pp. 6921–6926, 2000.
- Y. H. Dong and L. H. Zhang, “Quorum sensing and quorum-quenching enzymes,” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 43, pp. 101–109, 2005.
- M. Rosenblueth and E. Martínez-Romero, “Bacterial endophytes and their interactions with hosts,” Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 827–837, 2006.
- R. P. Ryan, K. Germaine, A. Franks, D. J. Ryan, and D. N. Dowling, “Bacterial endophytes: recent developments and applications,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- G. Strobel and B. Daisy, “Bioprospecting for microbial endophytes and their natural products,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 491–502, 2003.
- J. J. Huang, A. Petersen, M. Whiteley, and J. R. Leadbetter, “Identification of QuiP, the product of gene PA1032, as the second acyl-homoserine lactone acylase of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 1190–1197, 2006.
- J. J. Huang, J. I. Han, L. H. Zhang, and J. R. Leadbetter, “Utilization of acyl-homoserine lactone quorum signals for growth by a soil Pseudomonad and Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 5941–5949, 2003.
- R. W. Shepherd and S. E. Lindow, “Two dissimilar N-aeyl-homoserine lactone acylases of Pseudomonas syringae influence colony and biofilm Morphology,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2009.
- C. N. Chen, C. J. Chen, C. T. Liao, and C. Y. Lee, “A probable aculeacin A acylase from the Ralstonia solanacearum GMI1000 is N-acyl-homoserine lactone acylase with quorum-quenching activity,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 9, article 89, 2009.
- M. Romero, R. Avendaño-Herrera, B. Magariños, M. Cámara, and A. Otero, “Acylhomoserine lactone production and degradation by the fish pathogen Tenacibaculum maritimum, a member of the Cytophaga-Flavobacterium-Bacteroides (CFB) group,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 304, no. 2, pp. 131–139, 2010.
- S. Uroz, S. R. Chhabra, M. Cámara, P. Williams, P. Oger, and Y. Dessaux, “N-acylhomoserine lactone quorum-sensing molecules are modified and degraded by Rhodococcus erythropolis W2 by both amidolytic and novel oxidoreductase activities,” Microbiology, vol. 151, no. 10, pp. 3313–3322, 2005.
- M. Romero, S. P. Diggle, S. Heeb, M. Cámara, and A. Otero, “Quorum quenching activity in Anabaena sp. PCC 7120: identification of AiiC, a novel AHL-acylase,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2008.
- S. Jafra, H. Jalink, R. Van Der Schoor, and J. M. Van Der Wolf, “Pectobacterium carotovorum subsp. carotovorum strains show diversity in production of and response to N-acyl homoserine lactones,” Journal of Phytopathology, vol. 154, no. 11-12, pp. 729–739, 2006.
- C. F. Sio, L. G. Otten, R. H. Cool et al., “Quorum quenching by an N-acyl-homoserine lactone acylase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 1673–1682, 2006.
- L. Ravn Flodgaard, A. B. Christensen, S. Molin, M. Givskov, and L. Gram, “Influence of food preservation parameters and associated microbiota on production rate, profile and stability of acylated homoserine lactones from food-derived Enterobacteriaceae,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 145–156, 2003.
- C. Aguilar, I. Bertani, and V. Venturi, “Quorum-sensing system and stationary-phase sigma factor (rpoS) of the onion pathogen Burkholderia cepacia genomovar I type strain, ATCC 25416,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 1739–1747, 2003.
- Y. H. Dong, L. H. Wang, J. L. Xu, H. B. Zhang, X. F. Zhang, and L. H. Zhang, “Quenching quorum-sensing-dependent bacterial infection by an N-acyl homoserine lactonase,” Nature, vol. 411, no. 6839, pp. 813–817, 2001.
- Y. H. Dong, X. F. Zhang, J. L. Xu, and L. H. Zhang, “Insecticidal Bacillus thuringiensis Silences Erwinia carotovora virulence by a new form of microbial antagonism, signal interference,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 954–960, 2004.
- T. Hjelmgaard, T. Persson, T. B. Rasmussen, M. Givskov, and J. Nielsen, “Synthesis of furanone-based natural product analogues with quorum sensing antagonist activity,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 15, pp. 3261–3271, 2003.
- F. Xu, T. Byun, H. J. Deussen, and K. R. Duke, “Degradation of N-acylhomoserine lactones, the bacterial quorum-sensing molecules, by acylase,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2003.