- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 910941, 9 pages
Robust Cell Size Checkpoint from Spatiotemporal Positive Feedback Loop in Fission Yeast
1School of Mathematical Sciences, Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, China
2Center for Systems Biology, Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, China
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 7 June 2013
Academic Editor: Tao Huang
Copyright © 2013 Jie Yan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Fantes and P. Nurse, “Control of cell size at division in fission yeast by a growth modulated size control over nuclear division,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 377–386, 1977.
- A. Sveiczer, B. Novak, and J. M. Mitchison, “The size control of fission yeast revisited,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 109, part 12, pp. 2947–2957, 1996.
- I. Rupeš, B. A. Webb, A. Mak, and P. G. Young, “G2/M arrest caused by actin disruption is a manifestation of the cell size checkpoint in fission yeast,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 3892–3903, 2001.
- Y. Masui and P. Wang, “Cell cycle transition in early embryonic development of Xenopus laevis,” Biology of the Cell, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 537–548, 1998.
- P. Wang, S. Hayden, and Y. Masui, “Transition of the blastomere cell cycle from cell size-independent to size-dependent control at the midblastula stage in Xenopus laevis,” Journal of Experimental Zoology, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. 128–144, 2000.
- B. A. Edgar and C. F. Lehner, “Developmental control of cell cycle regulators: a fly's perspective,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5293, pp. 1646–1652, 1996.
- H. Dolznig, F. Grebien, T. Sauer, H. Beug, and E. W. Müllner, “Evidence for a size-sensing mechanism in animal cells,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 899–905, 2004.
- T. Takahashi, P. G. Bhide, T. Goto, S. Miyama, and V. S. Caviness Jr., “Proliferative behavior of the murine cerebral wall in tissue culture: cell cycle kinetics and checkpoints,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 407–417, 1999.
- A. Sveiczer, J. J. Tyson, and B. Novak, “Modelling the fission yeast cell cycle,” Briefings in Functional Genomics and Proteomics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 298–307, 2004.
- A. Sveiczer, A. Csikasz-Nagy, B. Gyorffy, J. J. Tyson, and B. Novak, “Modeling the fission yeast cell cycle: quantized cycle times in wee1- cdc25Δ mutant cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 14, pp. 7865–7870, 2000.
- B. Novak, Z. Pataki, A. Ciliberto, and J. J. Tyson, “Mathematical model of the cell division cycle of fission yeast,” Chaos, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 277–286, 2001.
- Z. Qu, J. N. Weiss, and W. R. MacLellan, “Coordination of cell growth and cell division: a mathematical modeling study,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 18, pp. 4199–4207, 2004.
- J. R. Pomerening, Y. K. Sun, and J. E. Ferrell Jr., “Systems-level dissection of the cell-cycle oscillator: bypassing positive feedback produces damped oscillations,” Cell, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 565–578, 2005.
- S. G. Martin and M. Berthelot-Grosjean, “Polar gradients of the DYRK-family kinase Pom1 couple cell length with the cell cycle,” Nature, vol. 459, no. 7248, pp. 852–856, 2009.
- J. B. Moseley, A. Mayeux, A. Paoletti, and P. Nurse, “A spatial gradient coordinates cell size and mitotic entry in fission yeast,” Nature, vol. 459, no. 7248, pp. 857–860, 2009.
- M. Vilela, J. J. Morgan, and P. A. Lindahl, “Mathematical model of a cell size checkpoint,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 12, Article ID e1001036, 2010.
- T. Y. Tsai, S. C. Yoon, W. Ma, J. R. Pomerening, C. Tang, and J. E. Ferrell Jr., “Robust, tunable biological oscillations from interlinked positive and negative feedback loops,” Science, vol. 321, no. 5885, pp. 126–139, 2008.
- B. Novak and J. J. Tyson, “Numerical analysis of a comprehensive model of M-phase control in Xenopus oocyte extracts and intact embryos,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 106, part 4, pp. 1153–1168, 1993.
- J. E. Ferrell Jr., “Self-perpetuating states in signal transduction: positive feedback, double-negative feedback and bistability,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 2002.
- F. R. Cross, V. Archambault, M. Miller, and M. Klovstad, “Testing a mathematical model of the yeast cell cycle,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 52–70, 2002.
- P. A. Fantes, “Control of cell size and cycle time in Schizosaccharomyces pombe,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 24, pp. 51–67, 1977.
- P. Nurse and P. Thuriaux, “Controls over the timing of DNA replication during the cell cycle of fission yeast,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 365–375, 1977.
- J. Lei, “Stochasticity in single gene expression with both intrinsic noise and fluctuation in kinetic parameters,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 256, no. 4, pp. 485–492, 2009.
- L. Yang, Z. Han, W. R. MacLellan, J. N. Weiss, and Z. Qu, “Linking cell division to cell growth in a spatiotemporal model of the cell cycle,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 120–133, 2006.
- B. Novak, A. Csikasz-Nagy, B. Gyorffy, K. Chen, and J. J. Tyson, “Mathematical model of the fission yeast cell cycle with checkpoint controls at the G1/S, G2/M and metaphase/anaphase transitions,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 185–200, 1998.
- A. Sveiczer, J. J. Tyson, and B. Novak, “A stochastic, molecular model of the fission yeast cell cycle: role of the nucleocytoplasmic ratio in cycle time regulation,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 1–15, 2001.
- Z. Qu, W. R. MacLellan, and J. N. Weiss, “Dynamics of the cell cycle: checkpoints, sizers, and timers,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 3600–3611, 2003.