- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 930876, 8 pages
The Assessment of Proteus mirabilis Susceptibility to Ceftazidime and Ciprofloxacin and the Impact of These Antibiotics at Subinhibitory Concentrations on Proteus mirabilis Biofilms
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Collegium Medicum of L. Rydygier in Bydgoszcz, M. Skłodowskiej-Curie 9, 85-094 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Xin-yuan Guan
Copyright © 2013 Joanna Kwiecińska-Piróg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. O'Hara, F. W. Brenner, and J. M. Miller, “Classification, identification, and clinical significance of Proteus, Providencia, and Morganella,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 534–546, 2000.
- A. Rózalski, I. Kwil, A. Torzewska, M. Baranowska, and P. Staczek, “Proteus bacilli: features and virulence factors,” Postępy Higieny i Medycyny Doświadczalnej, vol. 61, pp. 204–219, 2007.
- C.-Y. Chen, Y.-H. Chen, P.-L. Lu, W.-R. Lin, T.-C. Chen, and C.-Y. Lin, “Proteus mirabilis urinary tract infection and bacteremia: risk factors, clinical presentation, and outcomes,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 228–236, 2012.
- C. Coker, C. A. Poore, X. Li, and H. L. T. Mobley, “Pathogenesis of Proteus mirabilis urinary tract infection,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 1497–1505, 2000.
- A. Endimiani, F. Luzzaro, G. Brigante et al., “Proteus mirabilis bloodstream infections: risk factors and treatment outcome related to the expression of extended-spectrum β-lactamases,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 2598–2605, 2005.
- S. M. Jacobsen and M. E. Shirtliff, “Proteus mirabilis biofilms and catheter-associated urinary tract infections,” Virulence, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 460–465, 2011.
- R. Wasfi, O. A. Abd El-Rahman, L. E. Mansour, A. S. Hanora, A. M. Hashem, and M. S. Ashour, “Antimicrobial activities against biofilm formed by Proteus mirabilis isolates from wound and urinary tract infections,” Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2012.
- R. M. Donlan, “Biofilm formation: a clinically relevant microbiological process,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1387–1392, 2001.
- E. Karatan and P. Watnick, “Signals, regulatory networks, and materials that build and break bacterial biofilms,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 310–347, 2009.
- N. Høiby, T. Bjarnsholt, M. Givskov, S. Molin, and O. Ciofu, “Antibiotic resistance of bacterial biofilms,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 322–332, 2010.
- N. Høiby, O. Ciofu, H. K. Johansen et al., “The clinical impact of bacterial biofilms,” International journal of oral science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 55–65, 2011.
- H. Whitfield and S. Choong, “Biofilms and their role in infections in urology,” BJU International, vol. 86, no. 8, pp. 935–941, 2000.
- P. S. Stewart, “Mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in bacterial biofilms,” International Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2002.
- P. C. Braga, M. dal Sasso, and M. T. Sala, “Sub-MIC concentrations of cefodizime interfere with various factors affecting bacterial virulence,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2000.
- EUCAST Determination of minimum inhibitory concentration (MICs) of antimicrobial agents by broth dilution March 2003.
- J. R. Hernández, L. Martínez-Martínez, A. Pascual, A. I. Suárez, and E. J. Perea, “Trends in the susceptibilities of Proteus mirabilis isolates to quinolones,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 407–408, 2000.
- K. S. Ko, M. Y. Lee, J.-H. Song et al., “Prevalence and characterization of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae isolated in Korean hospitals,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 453–459, 2008.
- A. Kanayama, T. Iyoda, K. Matsuzaki et al., “Rapidly spreading CTX-M-type β-lactamase-producing Proteus mirabilis in Japan,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 340–342, 2010.
- P. L. Ho, A. Y. M. Ho, K. H. Chow et al., “Occurrence and molecular analysis of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Proteus mirabilis in Hong Kong, 1999–2002,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 840–845, 2005.
- R. Saito, S. Okugawa, W. Kumita et al., “Clinical epidemiology of ciprofloxacin-resistant Proteus mirabilis isolated from urine samples of hospitalised patients,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1204–1206, 2007.
- F. Luzzaro, M. Perilli, G. Amicosante et al., “Properties of multidrug-resistant, ESBL-producing Proteus mirabilis isolates and possible role of β-lactam/β-lactamase inhibitor combinations,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131–135, 2001.
- M. Guggenheim, R. Zbinden, A. E. Handschin, A. Gohritz, M. A. Altintas, and P. Giovanoli, “Changes in bacterial isolates from burn wounds and their antibiograms: a 20-year study (1986–2005),” Burns, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 553–560, 2009.
- S. C. Yah, N. O. Eghafona, S. Oranusi, and A. M. Abouo, “Widespread plasmid resistance genes among Proteus species in diabetic wounds of patients in the Ahmadu Bello university teaching hospital (ABUTH) Zaria,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 15, pp. 1757–1762, 2007.
- A. C. Gales, H. S. Sader, and R. N. Jones, “Urinary tract infection trends in Latin American hospitals: report from the SENTRY antimicrobial surveillance program (1997–2000),” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 289–299, 2002.
- F. M. E. Wagenlehner, A. Niemetz, A. Dalhoff, and K. G. Naber, “Spectrum and antibiotic resistance of uropathogens from hospitalized patients with urinary tract infections: 1994–2000,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 557–564, 2002.
- V. Cao, T. Lambert, D. Q. Nhu et al., “Distribution of extended-spectrum β-lactamases in clinical isolates of Enterobacteriaceae in Vietnam,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 3739–3743, 2002.
- S. Nijssen, A. Florijn, M. J. M. Bonten, F. J. Schmitz, J. Verhoef, and A. C. Fluit, “Beta-lactam susceptibilities and prevalence of ESBL-producing isolates among more than 5000 European Enterobacteriaceae isolates,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 585–591, 2004.
- H. Wang, M. Chen, Y. Ni et al., “Antimicrobial resistance among clinical isolates from the Chinese Meropenem Surveillance Study (CMSS), 2003–2008,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2010.
- E. Lautenbach, R. Marsicano, M. Heard, S. Serrano, and D. D. Stieritz, “Epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance among gram-negative organisms recovered from patients in a multistate network of long-term care facilities,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 790–793, 2009.
- S. R. Lockhart, M. A. Abramson, S. E. Beekmann et al., “Antimicrobial resistance among gram-negative bacilli causing infections in intensive care unit patients in the United States between 1993 and 2004,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 3352–3359, 2007.
- J. R. Anguzu and D. Olila, “Drug sensitivity patterns of bacterial isolates from septic post-operative wounds in a regional referral hospital in Uganda,” African Health Sciences, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 148–154, 2007.
- E. Nucleo, G. Fugazza, R. Migliavacca et al., “Differences in biofilm formation and aggregative adherence between β-lactam susceptible and β-lactamases producing P. mirabilis clinical isolates,” New Microbiologica, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 2010.