- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 945638, 11 pages
The Conyza triloba Extracts with High Chlorophyll Content and Free Radical Scavenging Activity Had Anticancer Activity in Cell Lines
1Department of Biological Sciences and Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, King Faisal University, Al-Hofuf, Al-Ahsa 31982, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, University of Ain Shams, Abbassia, Cairo 11566, Egypt
3Department of Botany and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Al-Azhar University, Cairo 11884, Egypt
Received 4 March 2013; Revised 3 April 2013; Accepted 14 April 2013
Academic Editor: Elvira Gonzalez De Mejia
Copyright © 2013 Wael M. El-Sayed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. R. Hafidh, F. Abas, A. S. Abdulamir, F. Jahanshiri, F. Abu Bakar, and Z. Sekawi, “A review: cancer Research of natural products in Asia,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 69–82, 2009.
- S. A. Dahanukar, R. A. Kulkarni, and N. N. Rege, “Pharmacology of medicinal plants and natural products,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 81–118, 2000.
- D. R. A. Mans, A. B. Da Rocha, and G. Schwartsmann, “Anti-cancer drug discovery and development in Brazil: targeted plant collection as a rational strategy to acquire candidate anti-cancer compounds,” Oncologist, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 185–198, 2000.
- D. M. Maron and B. N. Ames, “Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test,” Mutation Research, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 173–215, 1983.
- W. M. El-Sayed, W. A. Hussin, and M. R. Franklin, “The antimutagenicity of 2-substituted selenazolidine-4-(R)-carboxylic acids,” Mutation Research, vol. 627, no. 2, pp. 136–145, 2007.
- A. V. Del Pacciaroni, E. Mongelli, L. A. Espinar, A. Romano, G. Ciccia, and G. L. Silva, “Bioactive constituents of Conyza albida,” Planta Medica, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 720–723, 2000.
- R. Mata, A. Rojas, L. Acevedo et al., “Smooth muscle relaxing flavonoids and terpenoids from Conyza filaginoides,” Planta Medica, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 1997.
- F. Calzada, R. Cedillo-Rivera, and R. Mata, “Antiprotozoal activity of the constituents of Conyza filaginoides,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 671–673, 2001.
- B. B. Hafeez, M. Asim, I. A. Siddiqui, V. M. Adhami, I. Murtaza, and H. Mukhtar, “Delphinidin, a dietary anthocyanidin in pigmented fruits and vegetables: a new weapon to blunt prostate cancer growth,” Cell Cycle, vol. 7, no. 21, pp. 3320–3326, 2008.
- W. Li, B. Du, T. Wang, S. Wang, and J. Zhang, “Kaempferol induces apoptosis in human HCT116 colon cancer cells via the Ataxia-Telangiectasia Mutated-p53 pathway with the involvement of p53 Upregulated Modulator of Apoptosis,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2009.
- X. W. Hu, D. Meng, and J. Fang, “Apigenin inhibited migration and invasion of human ovarian cancer A2780 cells through focal adhesion kinase,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2369–2376, 2008.
- G. Luo, X. Guan, and L. Zhou, “Apoptotic effect of citrus fruit extract nobiletin on lung cancer cell line A549 in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Biology & Therapy, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 966–973, 2008.
- M. Y. Sun, J. Zuo, J. F. Duan et al., “Antitumor activities of kushen flavonoids in vivo and in vitro,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2008.
- C. C. Chang, M. H. Yang, H. M. Wen, and J. C. Chern, “Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colometric methods,” Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 178–182, 2002.
- M. Nagata and I. Yamashita, “Simple method for simultaneous determination of chlorophyll and carotenoids in tomato fruit,” Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaish, vol. 39, pp. 925–928, 1992.
- P. Prieto, M. Pineda, and M. Aguilar, “Spectrophotometric quantitation of antioxidant capacity through the formation of a phosphomolybdenum complex: specific application to the determination of vitamin E,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 337–341, 1999.
- N. Smirnoff and Q. J. Cumbes, “Hydroxyl radical scavenging activity of compatible solutes,” Phytochemistry, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1057–1060, 1989.
- M. Nishikimi, N. A. Rao, and K. Yagi, “The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 849–853, 1972.
- T. C. Dinis, V. M. Madeira, and L. M. Almeida, “Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation as peroxyl radical scavenging effects,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 36, pp. 2090–2097, 1994.
- M. S. Blois, “Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical,” Nature, vol. 26, pp. 1199–1200, 1954.
- W. M. El-Sayed and W. A. Hussin, “Antimutagenic and antioxidant activity of novel 4-substituted phenyl-2,2'-bichalcophenes and aza-analogs,” Drug Design, Development and Therapy, vol. 7, pp. 73–81, 2013.
- C. E. Hong, M. C. Cho, H. A. Jang, and S. Y. Lyu, “Mutagenicity and anti-mutagenicity of Acanthopanax divaricatus var albeofructus,” The Journal of Toxicological Sciences, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 661–668, 2011.
- X. Duan, G. Wu, and Y. Jiang, “Evaluation of the antioxidant properties of litchi fruit phenolics in relation to pericarp browning prevention,” Molecules, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 759–771, 2007.
- A. H. Atta, S. Kenawy, A. Awaad, and R. El-Melegy, “Anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and antioxidant effect of some medicinal plant extracts,” Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, article 17, 2011.
- A. Luch and W. M. Baird, “Metabolic activation and detoxification of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons,” in The Carcinogenic Effects of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, A. A. Luch, Ed., pp. 19–96, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2005.
- E. Zeiger, “Identification of rodent carcinogens and noncarcinogens using genetic toxicity tests: premises, promises, and performance,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 85–95, 1998.
- J. L. Marnewick, W. C. A. Gelderblom, and E. Joubert, “An investigation on the antimutagenic properties of South African herbal teas,” Mutation Research, vol. 471, no. 1-2, pp. 157–166, 2000.
- A. R. Collins, A. Azqueta, and S. A. Langie, “Effects of micronutrients on DNA repair,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 51, pp. 261–279, 2012.
- M. Watanabe, H. Kobayashi, and T. Ohta, “Rapid inactivation of 3-chloro-4-(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2(5H)-furanone (MX), a potent mutagen in chlorinated drinking water, by sulfhydryl compounds,” Mutation Research, vol. 312, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 1994.
- D. Vauzour, A. Rodriguez-Mateos, G. Corona, M. J. Oruna-Concha, and J. P. E. Spencer, “Polyphenols and human health: prevention of disease and mechanisms of action,” Nutrients, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1106–1131, 2010.
- E. Cieckiewicz, L. Angenot, T. Gras, R. Kiss, and M. Frédérich, “Potential anticancer activity of young Carpinus betulus leaves,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 3-4, pp. 278–283, 2012.
- A. H. Adebayo, N. H. Tan, A. A. Akindahunsi, G. Z. Zeng, and Y. M. Zhang, “Anticancer and antiradical scavenging activity of Ageratum conyzoides L. (Asteraceae),” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 6, no. 21, pp. 62–66, 2010.