- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 949107, 7 pages
Microbial Purification of Postfermentation Medium after 1,3-PD Production from Raw Glycerol
Department of Biotechnology and Food Microbiology, Poznań University of Life Sciences, ul. Wojska Polskiego 48, 60-527 Poznan, Poland
Received 15 July 2013; Revised 28 August 2013; Accepted 30 August 2013
Academic Editor: Kannan Pakshirajan
Copyright © 2013 Daria Szymanowska-Powałowska et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A.-P. Zeng and W. Sabra, “Microbial production of diols as platform chemicals: recent progresses,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 749–757, 2011.
- A.-P. Zeng, “Pathway and kinetic analysis of 1,3-propanediol production from glycerol fermentation by Clostridium butyricum,” Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 169–175, 1996.
- G. Kaur, A. K. Srivastava, and S. Chand, “Advances in biotechnological production of 1,3-propanediol,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 64, pp. 106–118, 2012.
- Z.-L. Xiu and A.-P. Zeng, “Present state and perspective of downstream processing of biologically produced 1,3-propanediol and 2,3-butanediol,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 917–926, 2008.
- A.-I. Qatibi, A. Bories, and J.-L. Garcia, “Sulfate reduction and anaerobic glycerol degradation by a mixed microbial culture,” Current Microbiology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 1991.
- M. F. Temudo, G. Muyzer, R. Kleerebezem, and M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, “Diversity of microbial communities in open mixed culture fermentations: impact of the pH and carbon source,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1121–1130, 2008.
- W. Sabra, D. Dietz, D. Tjahjasari, and A.-P. Zeng, “Biosystems analysis and engineering of microbial consortia for industrial biotechnology,” Engineering in Life Sciences, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 407–421, 2010.
- P. A. Selembo, J. M. Perez, W. A. Lloyd, and B. E. Logan, “Enhanced hydrogen and 1,3-propanediol production from glycerol by fermentation using mixed cultures,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1098–1106, 2009.
- M. Bizukojc, D. Dietz, J. Sun, and A.-P. Zeng, “Metabolic modelling of syntrophic-like growth of a 1,3-propanediol producer, Clostridium butyricum, and a methanogenic archeon, Methanosarcina mazei, under anaerobic conditions,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 507–523, 2010.
- D. Dietz and A. P. Zeng, “Efficient production of 1, 3-propanediol from fermentation of crude glycerol with mixed cultures in a simple medium,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 2013.
- A. Suau, R. Bonnet, M. Sutren et al., “Direct analysis of genes encoding 16S rRNA from complex communities reveals many novel molecular species within the human gut,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 4799–4807, 1999.
- K. Tamura, J. Dudley, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA4: molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1596–1599, 2007.
- A.-P. Zeng, A. Ross, H. Biebl, C. Tag, B. Gunzel, and W. D. Deckwer, “Multiple product inhibition and growth modeling of Clostridium butyricum and Klebsiella pneumoniae in glycerol fermentation,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 902–911, 1994.
- P. Kubiak, K. Leja, K. Myszka et al., “Physiological predisposition of various Clostridium species to synthetize 1, 3-propanediol from glycerol,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 47, pp. 308–1319, 2012.
- D. Szymanowska-Powałowska, P. Kubiak, and A. Lewicki, “The methane fermentation medium as an attractive source of bacteria from genus Clostridium capable of converting glycerol into 1, 3-propylene glycol,” Journal of Biotechnology, Computational Biology and Bionanotechnology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 68–77, 2012.
- M. S. Fountoulakis and T. Manios, “Enhanced methane and hydrogen production from municipal solid waste and agro-industrial by-products co-digested with crude glycerol,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 3043–3047, 2009.
- D. R. Boone, R. W. Castenholz, G. M. Garrity, D. J. Brenner, N. R. Krieg, and J. T. Staley, Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, The Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2005.
- H. Biebl, “Glycerol fermentation of 1,3-propanediol by Clostridium butyricum. Measurement of product inhibition by use of a pH-auxostat,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 701–705, 1991.
- T. Colin, A. Bories, C. Lavigne, and G. Moulin, “Effects of acetate and butyrate during glycerol fermentation by Clostridium butyricum,” Current Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 238–243, 2001.
- A. Kuroda, Y. Sugimoto, T. Funahashi, and J. Sekiguchi, “Genetic structure, isolation and characterization of a Bacillus licheniformis cell wall hydrolase,” Molecular and General Genetics, vol. 234, no. 1, pp. 129–137, 1992.
- S. Torres, A. Pandey, and G. R. Castro, “Organic solvent adaptation of Gram positive bacteria: applications and biotechnological potentials,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 442–452, 2011.