- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 146796, 3 pages
Current Biotechnological Advancements on Sustainable Metal and Nutrient Removal
1Department of Environmental Engineering, School of Metallurgy and Environment, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410083, China
2Department of Environmental Sciences, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Abbottabad 22060, Pakistan
3The Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Received 9 January 2014; Accepted 9 January 2014; Published 27 February 2014
Copyright © 2014 Li-Yuan Chai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Mahmood, A. Rashid, S. S. Ahmad, M. R. Azim, and M. Bilal, “Current status of toxic metals addition to environment and its consequences,” in The Plant Family Brassicaceae: Contribution Towards Phytoremediation, Environmental Pollution, N. A. Anjum, et al., Ed., Springer, 2012.
- M. N. Jagtap, M. V. Kulkarni, and P. R. Puranik, “Flux of heavy metals in soils irrigated with urban wastewaters,” American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 487–493, 2010.
- A. Mashiatullah, A. Riffat, M. Qureshi, A. Niaz, T. Javed, and A. Nisar, “Biological quality of ground water in Rawalpindi/Islamabad,” The Environmental Monitoring, vol. 5, pp. 13–18, 2005.
- P. A. Gibbs, B. J. Chambers, A. M. Chaudri, S. P. McGrath, and C. H. Carlton-Smith, “Initial results from long-term field studies at three sites on the effects of heavy metal-amended liquid sludges on soil microbial activity,” Soil Use and Management, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 180–187, 2006.
- B. Nrgholi, “Investigation of the Firozabad 28. Hawley, J.K., 1985. Assessment of health risk wastewater quality-quantity variation for agricultural use,” Final Report, Iranian Agricultural Engineering Research Institute, 2007.
- E. U. Islam, X.-E. Yang, Z.-L. He, and Q. Mahmood, “Assessing potential dietary toxicity of heavy metals in selected vegetables and food crops,” Journal of Zhejiang University B, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2007.
- B. J. Finlayson-Pitts and J. N. Pitts Jr., Chemistry of the Upper and Lower Atmosphere: Theory, Experiments and Applications, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- N. Yassaa and A. Cecinato, “Composition of torched crude oil organic particulate emitted by refinery and its similarity to atmospheric aerosol in the surrounding area,” Chemosphere, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1660–1666, 2005.
- J. Paasivirta, S. Sinkkonen, P. Mikkelson, T. Rantio, and F. Wania, “Estimation of vapor pressures, solubilities and Henry's law constants of selected persistent organic pollutants as functions of temperature,” Chemosphere, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 811–832, 1999.
- B. C. Kelly and F. A. P. C. Gobas, “Bioaccumulation of persistent organic pollutants in lichen-caribou-wolf food chains of Canada's Central and Western Arctic,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 325–334, 2001.
- J. S. Brown and S. A. Steinert, “DNA damage and biliary PAH metabolites in flatfish from Southern California bays and harbors, and the Channel Islands,” Ecological Indicators, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 263–274, 2004.
- K. Y. Kong, K. C. Cheung, C. K. C. Wong, and M. H. Wong, “The residual dynamic of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and organochlorine pesticides in fishponds of the Pearl River delta, South China,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1831–1843, 2005.
- L. Seghezzo, G. Zeeman, J. B. Van Lier, H. V. M. Hamelers, and G. Lettinga, “A review: the anaerobic treatment of sewage in UASB and EGSB reactors,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 175–190, 1998.
- S. Aiyuk, I. Forrez, D. K. Lieven, A. van Haandel, and W. Verstraete, “Anaerobic and complementary treatment of domestic sewage in regions with hot climates-A review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 17, pp. 2225–2241, 2006.
- P. L. McCarty, “Anaerobic waste treatment fundamentals,” Public Works, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 107–112, 1964.
- S. Chong, T. K. Sen, A. Kayaalp, and H. M. Ang, “The performance enhancements of upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactors for domestic sludge treatment—a state-of-the-art review,” Water Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 3434–3470, 2012.
- A. Mulder, A. A. Van De Graaf, L. A. Robertson, and J. G. Kuenen, “Anaerobic ammonium oxidation discovered in a denitrifying fluidized bed reactor,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 1995.
- M. S. M. Jetten, S. Logemann, G. Muyzer et al., “Novel principles in the microbial conversion of nitrogen compounds,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 75–93, 1997.
- B. Kartal, J. G. Kuenen, and M. C. M. Van Loosdrecht, “Sewage treatment with anammox,” Science, vol. 328, no. 5979, pp. 702–703, 2010.
- M. Strous, J. A. Fuerst, E. H. M. Kramer et al., “Missing lithotroph identified as new planctomycete,” Nature, vol. 400, no. 6743, pp. 446–449, 1999.
- Y. Tao, D.-W. Gao, Y. Fu, W.-M. Wu, and N.-Q. Ren, “Impact of reactor configuration on anammox process start-up: MBR versus SBR,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 104, pp. 73–80, 2012.
- I. Tsushima, Y. Ogasawara, T. Kindaichi, H. Satoh, and S. Okabe, “Development of high-rate anaerobic ammonium-oxidizing (anammox) biofilm reactors,” Water Research, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1623–1634, 2007.
- A. A. Khan, R. Z. Gaur, V. K. Tyagi et al., “Sustainable options of post treatment of UASB effluent treating sewage: a review,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1232–1251, 2011.
- M. A. El-Khateeb and A. Z. El-Bahrawy, “Extensive post treatment using constructed wetland,” Life Science Journal, vol. 10, pp. 560–568, 2013.
- N. Korboulewsky, R. Wang, and V. Baldy, “Purification processes involved in sludge treatment by a vertical flow wetland system: focus on the role of the substrate and plants on N and P removal,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 105, pp. 9–14, 2012.
- A. K. Mungray, Z. V. P. Murthy, and A. J. Tirpude, “Post treatment of up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket based sewage treatment plant effluents: a review,” Desalination and Water Treatment, vol. 22, no. 1–3, pp. 220–237, 2010.
- C. Wendland, J. Behrendt, T. A. Elmitwalli et al., “ABR reactor followed by constructed wetland and UV radiation as an appropriate technology for municipal wastewater treatment in Mediterranean countries,” in Proceedings of the 7th specialized conference on small water and wastewater systems in Mexico, 2006.
- A. B. Moldes, R. Paradelo, X. Vecino et al., “Partial characterization of biosurfactant from lactobacillus pentosus and comparison with sodium dodecyl sulphate for the bioremediation of hydrocarbon contaminated soil,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 961842, 6 pages, 2013.