- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 680131, 6 pages
Effect of Chronic Exposure to Prometryne on Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Response in Red Swamp Crayfish (Procambarus clarkii)
University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice, Faculty of Fisheries and Protection of Waters, South Bohemian Research Center of Aquaculture and Biodiversity of Hydrocenoses, Research Institute of Fish Culture and Hydrobiology, Zatisi 728/II, 389 25 Vodnany, Czech Republic
Received 5 December 2013; Revised 14 February 2014; Accepted 14 February 2014; Published 18 March 2014
Academic Editor: Zdenka Svobodova
Copyright © 2014 Alžběta Stará et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. P. Schwarzenbach, B. I. Escher, K. Fenner et al., “The challenge of micropollutants in aquatic systems,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5790, pp. 1072–1077, 2006.
- E. D. Ongley, Control of Water Pollution From Agriculture, Food and Agriculture Organization, 1996.
- R. M. Harrison, Pollution: Causes, Effects and Control, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2001.
- S. K. Agarwal, Water Pollution, APH Publishing Corporation, 2005.
- U. S. EPA, Environmental Protection Agency. R.E.D, Fact Prometryn, 1996.
- M. A. Kamrin, Pesticide Profiles, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1997.
- W. Erickson and L. Turner, Prometryn Analysis of Risks to Endangered and Threatened Salmon and Steelhead, Environmental Field Branch, Office of Pesticide Programs, 2002.
- L. Jiang, L. Ma, Y. Sui, S. Q. Han, and H. Yang, “Mobilization and plant accumulation of prometryne in soil by two different sources of organic matter,” Journal of Environmental Monitoring, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1935–1943, 2011.
- J. Zhou, F. Hu, J. Jiao, M. Liu, and H. Li, “Effects of bacterial-feeding nematodes and prometryne-degrading bacteria on the dissipation of prometryne in contaminated soil,” Journal of Soils and Sediments, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 576–585, 2012.
- E. Papadopoulou-Mourkidou, D. G. Karpouzas, J. Patsias et al., “The potential of pesticides to contaminate the groundwater resources of the Axios river basin in Macedonia, Northern Greece. Part I. Monitoring study in the north part of the basin,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 321, no. 1–3, pp. 127–146, 2004.
- Z. Vryzas, C. Alexoudis, G. Vassiliou, K. Galanis, and E. Papadopoulou-Mourkidou, “Determination and aquatic risk assessment of pesticide residues in riparian drainage canals in northeastern Greece,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 174–181, 2011.
- T. Caquet, M. Roucaute, N. Mazzella et al., “Risk assessment of herbicides and booster biocides along estuarine continuums in the Bay of Vilaine area (Brittany, France),” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 20, pp. 651–666, 2013.
- Czech Hydrometeorological Institute, “On-line water duality database,” 2011, http://hydro.chmi.cz/pasporty/pasport.php?seq=3287750.
- S. E. Kegley, B. R. Hill, S. Orme, and A. H. Choi, PAN Pesticide Database, Pesticide Action Network, North America (San Francisco, CA, 2010), Pesticide Action Network, Oakland, Calif, USA, 2010.
- A. Küster and R. Altenburger, “Development and validation of a new fluorescence-based bioassay for aquatic macrophyte species,” Chemosphere, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 194–201, 2007.
- U.S. EPA—Environmental protection agency, Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED) Prometryn, 1996.
- G. V. Popova, “Characteristics of the effect of the herbicide prometryn on fish,” Nauchnye Osnovy Okhrany Prirody, vol. 4, pp. 118–125, 1976.
- A. Stara, J. Machova, and J. Velisek, “Effect of chronic exposure to simazine on oxidative stress and antioxidant response in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.),” Neuro Endocrinology Letters, vol. 33, supplement 3, pp. 130–135, 2012.
- A. Stara, J. Kristan, E. Zuskova, and J. Velisek, “Effect of chronic exposure to prometryne on oxidative stress and antioxidant response in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.),” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 105, pp. 18–23, 2013.
- J. Velisek, A. Stara, E. Zuskova, and Z. Svobodova, “Use of biometric, hematologic, and plasma biochemical variables, and histopathology to assess the chronic effects of the herbicide prometryn on Common carp,” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 508–515, 2013.
- W. T. Momot, “Redefining the role of crayfish in aquatic ecosystems,” Reviews in Fisheries Science, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 33–63, 1995.
- M. Buric, A. Kouba, J. Machova, I. Mahovska, and P. Kozak, “Toxicity of the organophosphate pesticide diazinon to crayfish of differing age,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 10, pp. 607–610, 2013.
- A. Kouba, I. Kuklina, H. Niksirat, J. Machova, and P. Kozak, “Tolerance of signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus) to Persteril 36 supports use of peracetic acid in astaciculture,” Aquaculture, vol. 350–353, pp. 71–74, 2012.
- J. Velisek, A. Kouba, and A. Stara, “Acute toxicity of triazine pesticides to juvenile signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus),” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 34, pp. 31–36, 2013.
- D. Barcelo and M. C. Hennion, Trace Determination of Pesticides and their Degradation Products in Water, Mass Spectrometric Methods, LC-MS, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1997.
- V. I. Lushchak, T. V. Bagnyukova, V. V. Husak, L. I. Luzhna, O. V. Lushchak, and K. B. Storey, “Hyperoxia results in transient oxidative stress and an adaptive response by antioxidant enzymes in goldfish tissues,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1670–1680, 2005.
- S. Marklund and G. Marklund, “Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 1974.
- R. F. Beers Jr. and I. W. Sizer, “A spectrophotometric method for measuring the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 133–140, 1952.
- I. Carlberg and B. Mannervik, “Purification and characterization of the flavoenzyme glutathione reductase from rat liver,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 250, no. 14, pp. 5475–5480, 1975.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- J. H. Zar, Biostatistical Analysis, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 1996.
- J. Velisek, Z. Svobodova, V. Piackova et al., “Effects of metribuzin on rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss),” Veterinarni Medicina, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 324–332, 2008.
- A. Stara, J. Machova, and J. Velisek, “Effect of chronic exposure to simazine on oxidative stress and antioxidant response in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.),” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 334–343, 2012.
- A. Valavanidis, T. Vlahogianni, M. Dassenakis, and M. Scoullos, “Molecular biomarkers of oxidative stress in aquatic organisms in relation to toxic environmental pollutants,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 178–189, 2006.
- T. H. Vlahogianni and A. Valavanidis, “Heavy-metal effects on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defence enzymes in mussels Mytilus galloprovincialis,” Chemistry and Ecology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 361–371, 2007.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, Oxford University Press, 2007.
- L. P. R. Venancio, M. I. A. Silva, T. L. da Silva et al., “Pollution-induced metabolic responses in hypoxia-tolerant freshwater turtles,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 97, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- R. M. Martínez-Álvarez, A. E. Morales, and A. Sanz, “Antioxidant defenses in fish: biotic and abiotic factors,” Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 75–88, 2005.
- R. Kohen and A. Nyska, “Oxidation of biological systems: oxidative stress phenomena, antioxidants, redox reactions, and methods for their quantification,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 620–650, 2002.
- C. D. Nwani, W. S. Lakra, N. S. Nagpure, R. Kumar, B. Kushwaha, and S. Kumar, “Toxicity of the herbicide atrazine: effects on lipid peroxidation and activities of antioxidant enzymes in the freshwater fish Channa Punctatus (Bloch),” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 3298–3312, 2010.
- R. Van der Oost, J. Beyer, and N. P. E. Vermeulen, “Fish bioaccumulation and biomarkers in environmental risk assessment: a review,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 57–149, 2003.
- J. Djordjevic, A. Djordjevic, M. Adzic, A. Niciforovic, and M. B. Radojcic, “Chronic stress differentially affects antioxidant enzymes and modifies the acute stress response in liver of wistar rats,” Physiological Research, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 729–736, 2010.
- Y. Jin, X. Zhang, L. Shu et al., “Oxidative stress response and gene expression with atrazine exposure in adult female zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Chemosphere, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 846–852, 2010.
- J. Velisek, A. Stara, J. Kolarova, and Z. Svobodova, “Biochemical, physiological and morfological responses in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) after long-term exposure to terbutryn in real environmental concentration,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 305–313, 2011.
- M. M. A. Desouky, H. Abdel-Gawad, and B. Hegazi, “Distribution, fate and histopathological effects of ethion insecticide on selected organs of the crayfish, Procambarus clarkii,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 52, pp. 42–52, 2013.