- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 789591, 9 pages
A Proteomic View to Characterize the Effect of Chitosan Nanoparticle to Hepatic Cells: Is Chitosan Nanoparticle an Enhancer of PI3K/AKT1/mTOR Pathway?
1Instrument Technology Research Center, National Applied Research Laboratories, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan
2Translational Research Center, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
3Department of Medical Research, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
5School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
6Department of Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
7Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
8Department of Chemistry, National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung 804, Taiwan
9National Sun Yat-sen University-Kaohsiung Medical University Joint Research Center, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
10Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
11Department of Biomedical Engineering, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
12Center of Biomedical Engineering and System Biology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
Received 27 November 2013; Accepted 10 February 2014; Published 16 March 2014
Academic Editor: Yoshihiko Hayashi
Copyright © 2014 Ming-Hui Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Li, E. T. Dunn, E. W. Grandmaison, and M. F. A. Goosen, “Applications and properties of chitosan,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 370–397, 1992.
- L. Shang and G. U. Nienhaus, “Small fluorescent nanoparticles at the nano—bio interface,” Materials Today, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 58–66, 2013.
- P. Orlowski, M. Krzyzowska, R. Zdanowski et al., “Assessment of in vitro cellular responses of monocytes and keratinocytes to tannic acid modified silver nanoparticles,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1798–1808, 2013.
- C. Zanette, M. Pelin, M. Crosera et al., “Silver nanoparticles exert a long-lasting antiproliferative effect on human keratinocyte HaCaT cell line,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1053–1060, 2011.
- S. J. Soenen, B. Manshian, J. M. Montenegro et al., “Cytotoxic effects of gold nanoparticles: a multiparametric study,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 5767–5783, 2012.
- B. D. Holt, K. N. Dahl, and M. F. Islam, “Cells take up and recover from protein-stabilized single-wall carbon nanotubes with two distinct rates,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 3481–3490, 2012.
- S. Hirano and Y. Noishiki, “The blood compatibility of chitosan and N-acylchitosans,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 413–417, 1985.
- K. Y. Lee and D. J. Mooney, “Alginate: properties and biomedical applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 106–126, 2012.
- M. R. Kasaai, J. Arul, and G. Charlet, “Fragmentation of chitosan by acids,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2013, Article ID 508540, 11 pages, 2013.
- K. S. V. Krishna Rao, B. Vijaya Kumar Naidu, M. C. S. Subha, M. Sairam, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Novel chitosan-based pH-sensitive interpenetrating network microgels for the controlled release of cefadroxil,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 333–344, 2006.
- M. Rani, A. Agarwal, and Y. Negi, “Characterization and biodegradation studies for interpenetrating polymeric network (IPN) of chitosan-amino acid beads,” Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 71–84, 2011.
- M. E. I. Badawy and E. I. Rabea, “A biopolymer chitosan and its derivatives as promising antimicrobial agents against plant pathogens and their applications in crop protection,” International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, vol. 2011, Article ID 460381, 29 pages, 2011.
- J.-I. Murata, Y. Ohya, and T. Ouchi, “Possibility of application of quaternary chitosan having pendant galactose residues as gene delivery tool,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 1996.
- P. Kandra, M. M. Challa, and H. K. Jyothi, “Efficient use of shrimp waste: present and future trends,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2012.
- S. Minami, H. Suzuki, Y. Okamoto, T. Fujinaga, and Y. Shigemasa, “Chitin and chitosan activate complement via the alternative pathway,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 36, no. 2-3, pp. 151–155, 1998.
- J. Zhang, W. Xia, P. Liu et al., “Chitosan modification and pharmaceutical/biomedical applications,” Marine Drugs, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1962–1987, 2010.
- F. Talaei, M. Azhdarzadeh, H. Hashemi Nasel et al., “Core shell methyl methacrylate chitosan nanoparticles: in vitro mucoadhesion and complement activation,” DARU, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 257–265, 2011.
- J. Venkatesan and S.-K. Kim, “Chitosan composites for bone tissue engineering: an overview,” Marine Drugs, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2252–2266, 2010.
- P. Calvo, C. Remuñan-López, J. L. Vila-Jato, and M. J. Alonso, “Chitosan and chitosan/ethylene oxide-propylene oxide block copolymer nanoparticles as novel carriers for proteins and vaccines,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1431–1436, 1997.
- I. M. Van der Lubben, J. C. Verhoef, G. Borchard, and H. E. Junginger, “Chitosan for mucosal vaccination,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2001.
- T. López-León, E. L. S. Carvalho, B. Seijo, J. L. Ortega-Vinuesa, and D. Bastos-González, “Physicochemical characterization of chitosan nanoparticles: electrokinetic and stability behavior,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 344–351, 2005.
- Y. Guichard, J. Schmit, C. Darne et al., “Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of nanosized and microsized titanium dioxide and iron oxide particles in Syrian hamster embryo cells,” The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 631–644, 2012.
- J. C. K. Lai, M. B. Lai, S. Jandhyam et al., “Exposure to titanium dioxide and other metallic oxide nanoparticles induces cytotoxicity on human neural cells and fibroblasts,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 533–545, 2008.
- R. Liu, R. Rallo, S. George et al., “Classification NanoSAR development for cytotoxicity of metal oxide nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1118–1126, 2011.
- J. D. Jaffe, H. C. Berg, and G. M. Church, “Proteogenomic mapping as a complementary method to perform genome annotation,” Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–77, 2004.
- P. E. Schauwecker, “Differences in ionotropic glutamate receptor subunit expression are not responsible for strain-dependent susceptibility to excitotoxin-induced injury,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 112, no. 1-2, pp. 70–81, 2003.
- A. J. Kimple, M. Soundararajan, S. Q. Hutsell et al., “Structural determinants of G-protein α subunit selectivity by regulator of G-protein signaling 2 (RGS2),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 29, pp. 19402–19411, 2009.
- S. Faivre, G. Kroemer, and E. Raymond, “Current development of mTOR inhibitors as anticancer agents,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 671–688, 2006.
- N. Khan, F. Afaq, F. H. Khusro, V. Mustafa Adhami, Y. Suh, and H. Mukhtar, “Dual inhibition of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt and mammalian target of rapamycin signaling in human nonsmall cell lung cancer cells by a dietary flavonoid fisetin,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 1695–1705, 2012.
- K. E. O'Reilly, F. Rojo, Q.-B. She et al., “mTOR inhibition induces upstream receptor tyrosine kinase signaling and activates Akt,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1500–1508, 2006.
- H.-Y. Zhou and S.-L. Huang, “Current development of the second generation of mTOR inhibitors as anticancer agents,” Chinese Journal of Cancer, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 8–18, 2012.