Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014, Article ID 939163, 6 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/939163
Research Article

The Tarsal Bone Test: A Basic Test of Health Sciences Students' Knowledge of Lower Limb Anatomy

1Department of Podiatry, University of Seville, Facultad de Enfermería, Fisioterapia y Podología, Calle Avicena S/N, 41009 Sevilla, Spain
2Department of Physiotherapy, University of Seville, Facultad de Enfermería, Fisioterapia y Podología, Calle Avicena S/N, 41009 Sevilla, Spain
3Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Seville, Facultad de Medicina, Avenida Sánchez Pizjuán S/N, 41009 Sevilla, Spain

Received 6 February 2014; Accepted 2 May 2014; Published 8 July 2014

Academic Editor: Joachim Oertel

Copyright © 2014 José Manuel Castillo-López et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Objectives. The aim of the present study was to design an easy-to-use tool, the tarsal bone test (TBT), to provide a snapshot of podiatry students’ basic anatomical knowledge of the bones of the lower limb. Methods. The study included 254 podiatry students from three different universities, 145 of them were first-year students and 109 were in their fourth and final years. The TBT was administered without prior notice to the participants and was to be completed in 5 minutes. Results. The results show that 97.2% of the subjects correctly labelled all tarsal bones, while the other 2.8% incorrectly labelled at least one bone, that was either the cuboid (7 times) or the navicular (6 times). Although only one fourth-year student inaccurately identified one bone, no significant differences in the distribution of the correct and incorrect responses were found between first and fourth-year students. Conclusions. The TBT seems to be a straightforward and easy-to-apply instrument, and provides an objective view of the level of knowledge acquired at different stages of podiatry studies.