Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
BioMed Research International
Volume 2015, Article ID 596161, 5 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/596161
Research Article

1,213 Cases of Treatment of Facial Acne Using Indocyanine Green and Intense Pulsed Light in Asian Skin

1Departments of Dermatology, Chung-Ang University College of Medicine, 224-1 Heukseok-dong, Dongjak-ku, Seoul 156-755, Republic of Korea
2Cleanup Skin Clinic, Seoul, Republic of Korea
3GoodDay Skin & Laser Clinic, Seoul, Republic of Korea
4Department of Dermatology, Eulji General Hospital, College of Medicine, Eulji University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
5Department of Dermatology, National Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea

Received 22 May 2015; Revised 3 August 2015; Accepted 5 August 2015

Academic Editor: Peter A. Gerber

Copyright © 2015 Kui Young Park et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Background. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been used for acne, with various combinations of photosensitizers and light sources. Objective. We evaluated the effectiveness and safety of indocyanine green (ICG) and intense pulsed light (IPL) in the treatment of acne. Materials and Methods. A total of 1,213 patients with facial acne were retrospectively reviewed. Patients received three or five treatments of ICG and IPL at two-week intervals. Clinical response to treatment was assessed by comparing pre- and posttreatment clinical photographs and patient satisfaction scores. Results. Marked to excellent improvement was noted in 483 of 1,213 (39.8%) patients, while minimal to moderate improvement was achieved in the remaining 730 (60.2%) patients. Patient satisfaction scores revealed that 197 (16.3%) of 1,213 patients were highly satisfied, 887 (73.1%) were somewhat satisfied, and 129 (10.6%) were unsatisfied. There were no significant side effects. Conclusion. These results suggest that PDT with ICG and IPL can be effectively and safely used in the treatment of acne.