- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Dentistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 635062, 5 pages
Osteosarcoma of the Mandible Masquerading as a Dental Abscess: Report of a Case
1Department of Periodontics and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, King Saud University, P.O. Box 60169, Riyadh 11545, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, College of Dentistry, Salman Bin Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 153, Al-Kharj 11942, Saudi Arabia
3College of Dentistry, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, P.O. Box 22490, Riyadh 11426, Saudi Arabia
Received 29 October 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editors: M. Feichtinger, S. R. Watt-Smith, and E. F. Wright
Copyright © 2012 Sukumaran Anil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Bennett, G. Thomas, A. W. Evans, and P. M. Speight, “Osteosarcoma of the jaws: a 30-year retrospective review,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 323–333, 2000.
- J. L. Clark, K. K. Unni, D. C. Dahlin, and K. D. Devine, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw,” Cancer, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2311–2316, 1983.
- O. Mardinger, N. Givol, Y. P. Talmi, and S. Taicher, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw: the Chaim Sheba Medical Center experience,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 445–451, 2001.
- M. O. Ogunlewe, O. F. Ajayi, W. L. Adeyemo, A. L. Ladeinde, and O. James, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaw bones: a single institution experience over a 21-year period,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2006.
- A. J. Ajura and S. H. Lau, “A retrospective clinicopathological study of 59 osteogenic sarcoma of jaw bone archived in a stomatology unit,” Malaysian Journal of Pathology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 2010.
- G. E. Garrington, H. H. Scofield, J. Cornyn, and S. P. Hooker, “Osteosarcoma of the jaws. Analysis of 56 cases,” Cancer, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 377–391, 1967.
- H. Dorfman and B. Czerniak, “Bone tumors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 1998, pp. 1088–1089, 1998.
- F. Schajowicz, H. Sissons, and L. Sobin, “The World Health Organization's histologic classification of bone tumors,” Cancer, vol. 75, pp. 1208–1214, 1995.
- D. C. Doval, R. V. Kumar, V. Kannan et al., “Osteosarcoma of the jaw bones,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 357–362, 1997.
- P. J. Slootweg and H. Muller, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw bones. Analysis of 18 cases,” Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 158–166, 1985.
- D. G. Gardner and D. M. Mills, “The widened periodontal ligament of osteosarcoma of the jaws,” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 652–656, 1976.
- D. Wilner, Radiology of Bone Tumors and Allied Disorders, 1982.
- D. S. Vege, A. M. Borges, K. Aggrawal, G. Balasubramaniam, D. M. Parikh, and B. Bhaser, “Osteosarcoma of the craniofacial bones. A clinico-pathological study,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 90–93, 1991.
- K. K. Unni, D. C. Dahlin, R. A. McLeod, and D. J. Pritchard, “Intraosseous well differentiated osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1337–1347, 1977.
- R. Fernandes, N. G. Nikitakis, A. Pazoki, and R. A. Ord, “Osteogenic Sarcoma of the Jaw: a 10-year experience,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1286–1291, 2007.
- M. J. Klein and G. P. Siegal, “Osteosarcoma: anatomic and histologic variants,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 555–581, 2006.
- A. W. Woźniak, M. T. Nowaczyk, K. Osmola, and W. Golusinski, “Malignant transformation of an osteoblastoma of the mandible: case report and review of the literature,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 267, no. 6, pp. 845–849, 2010.
- S. Yamaguchi, H. Nagasawa, T. Suzuki et al., “Sarcomas of the oral and maxillofacial region: a review of 32 cases in 25 years,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 52–55, 2004.
- A. N. Roca, J. L. Smith, and B. S. Jing, “Osteosarcoma and parosteal osteogenic sarcoma of the maxilla and mandible: study of 20 cases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 625–636, 1970.
- L. B. Kahn, F. W. Wood, and L. V. Ackerman, “Fracture callus associated with benign and malignant bone lesions and mimicking osteosarcoma,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 14–24, 1969.
- S. G. Patel, P. Meyers, A. G. Huvos et al., “Improved outcomes in patients with osteogenic sarcoma of the head and neck,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1495–1503, 2002.
- M. S. Weinfeld and H. R. Dudley Jr., “Osteogenic sarcoma. A follow-up study of the ninety-four cases observed at the Massachusetts General Hospital from 1920 to 1960,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 44, pp. 269–276, 1962.
- J. J. Kasthoori and M. L. Wastie, “Radiation-induced osteosarcoma of the maxilla,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 907–909, 2006.
- M. E. Koury, J. A. Regezi, D. H. Perrott, and L. B. Kaban, “‘Atypical’ fibro-osseous lesions: diagnostic challenges and treatment concepts,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 162–169, 1995.
- S. Ushigome, T. Shimoda, M. Fukunaga, T. Takakuwa, and H. Nakajima, “Immunocytochemical aspects of the differential diagnosis of osteosarcoma and malignant fibrous histiocytoma,” Surgical Pathology, vol. 1, pp. 347–357, 1988.
- D. Lajeunesse, C. Frondoza, B. Schoffield, and B. Sacktor, “Osteocalcin secretion by the human osteosarcoma cell line MG-63,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 915–922, 1990.
- J. E. Russ and R. H. Jesse, “Management of osteosarcoma of the maxilla and mandible,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 572–576, 1980.
- L. E. Smeele, J. E. Van Der Wal, P. J. Van Diest, I. Van Der Waal, and G. B. Snow, “Radical surgical treatment in craniofacial osteosarcoma gives excellent survival. A retrospective cohort study of 14 patients,” European Journal of Cancer Part B: Oral Oncology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 374–376, 1994.
- M. August, P. Magennis, and D. Dewitt, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaws: factors influencing prognosis,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 198–204, 1997.