Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
Case Reports in Hepatology
Volume 2011, Article ID 936867, 3 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2011/936867
Case Report

Amanita bisporigera-Induced Hepatic Failure: A Fatal Case of Mushroom Ingestion

New York Hospital Queens, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 56-45 Main Street, Flushing, NY 11355, USA

Received 25 September 2011; Accepted 20 October 2011

Academic Editors: D. D'Agostino and D. Lorenzin

Copyright © 2011 Anthony Nici and Sang Kim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Wild mushroom poisoning from the genus Amanita is a medical emergency, with Amanita phalloides being the most common offender. Patients may complain of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and/or abdominal pain. If not aggressively treated, fulminant hepatic failure may develop within several days of ingestion. In this case report, a patient poisoned with Amanita bisporigera is described, along with the typical clinical presentation, patient outcomes, and treatment options for dealing with an Amanita mushroom poisoning.