- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Radiology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 162064, 5 pages
Haemothorax and Thoracic Spine Fractures in the Elderly
1Indiana University School of Medicine, South Bend Campus, South Bend, IN 46556, USA
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
3Department of Emergency Medicine, Memorial Hospital of South Bend, South Bend, IN 46601, USA
4Memorial Hospital of South Bend, South Bend, IN 46601, USA
5South Bend Medical Foundation, South Bend, IN 46601, USA
Received 19 June 2012; Accepted 12 July 2012
Academic Editors: K. N. Fountas, A. Hiwatashi, A. Komemushi, and L. Lampmann
Copyright © 2012 Michael A. Masteller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation, Clinician’s Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis, National Osteoporosis Foundation, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- B. L. Riggs and L. J. Melton III, “The worldwide problem of osteoporosis: insights afforded by epidemiology,” Bone, vol. 17, supplement 5, pp. 505S–511S, 1995.
- M. S. Lu, Y. Y. Li, Y. K. Huang, and C. L. Kao, “Thoracic spine fracture: an unusual case of bilateral massive hemothorax,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 68, no. 6, p. 1511, 2010.
- S. S. Dalvie, M. Burwell, and M. H. Noordeen, “Haemothorax and thoracic spinal fracture. A case for early stabilization,” Injury, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 269–270, 2000.
- T. M. van Raaij, H. W. Slis, P. H. Hoogland, J. C. de Mol van Otterloo, and C. Ulrich, “Massive haemothorax following thoracic vertebral fracture,” Injury, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 202–203, 2000.
- C. Hooper, Y. C. Lee, N. Maskell, and BTS Pleural Guideline Group, “Investigation of a unilateral pleural effusion in adults: British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline 2010,” Thorax, vol. 65, supplement 2, pp. ii4–ii17, 2010.
- E. Cakir, F. Demirag, M. Aydin, and Y. Erdogan, “A review of uncommon cytopathologic diagnoses of pleural effusions from a chest diseases center in Turkey,” Cytojournal, vol. 8, article 13, 2011.
- J. T. Huggins and S. A. Sahn, “Drug-induced pleural disease,” Clinics in Chest Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 141–153, 2004.
- L. Fekih, L. Boussoffara, S. Chaouachi et al., “Thoracic manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Tunisie Medicale, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 269–273, 2011 (French).
- J. M. Wrightson, A. E. Stanton, N. A. Maskell, R. J. Davies, and Y. C. Lee, “Pseudochylothorax without pleural thickening: time to reconsider pathogenesis?” Chest, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 1144–1147, 2009.
- D. W. Cugell and D. W. Kamp, “Asbestos and the pleura: a review,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 1103–1117, 2004.
- J. T. Huggins, S. A. Sahn, J. Heidecker, J. G. Ravenel, and P. Doelken, “Characteristics of trapped lung: pleural fluid analysis, manometry, and air-contrast chest CT,” Chest, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 206–213, 2007.
- P. Nordkild, H. Kromann-Andersen, and E. Struve-Christensen, “Yellow nail syndrome—the triad of yellow nails, lymphedema and pleural effusions. A review of the literature and a case report,” Acta Medica Scandinavica, vol. 219, no. 2, pp. 221–227, 1986.
- W. Dressler, “The post-myocardial-infarction syndrome: a report on forty-four cases,” AMA Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 28–42, 1959.
- S. Y. Han, R. B. McElvein, J. S. Aldrete, and J. M. Tishler, “Perforation of the esophagus: correlation of site and cause with plain film findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 537–540, 1985.
- F. M. Phillips, “Minimally invasive treatments of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 15, pp. S45–S53, 2003.
- R. Burge, B. Dawson-Hughes, D. H. Solomon, J. B. Wong, A. King, and A. Tosteson, “Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 465–475, 2007.
- D. M. Black, N. K. Arden, L. Palermo, J. Pearson, and S. R. Cummings, “Prevalent vertebral deformities predict hip fractures and new vertebral deformities but not wrist fractures,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 821–828, 1999.
- J. L. Old and M. Calvert, “Vertebral compression fractures in the elderly,” American Family Physician, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 111–116, 2004.
- S. Morita, T. Tsuji, T. Fukushima, T. Yamagiwa, H. Otsuka, and S. Inokuchi, “Arterial embolization of an extrapleural hematoma from a dislocated fracture of the lumbar spine: a case report,” Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine, vol. 17, article 27, 2009.