- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 532620, 6 pages
Effect of Exercise Training on Interleukin-6, Tumour Necrosis Factor Alpha and Functional Capacity in Heart Failure
1Faculty of Health Science, Bond University, QLD 4229, Australia
2Department of Exericse Physiology, University of New England, Armidale NSW 2351, Australia
3Department of Cardiology, Stavanger University Hospital, 4068 Stavanger, Norway
4University of Bergen, Institute of Medicine, 5020 Bergen, Norway
5Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2B7
6Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Section, Institute Dante Pazzanese of Cardiology, São Paulo 04011-002, Brazil
Received 5 October 2010; Revised 12 January 2011; Accepted 14 January 2011
Academic Editor: Gregory Giamouzis
Copyright © 2011 Neil A. Smart et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Niebauer, “Inflammatory mediators in heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 209–213, 2000.
- S. Gielen, V. Adams, S. Möbius-Winkler et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of exercise training in the skeletal muscle of patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 861–868, 2003.
- S. D. Anker and S. Von Haehling, “Inflammatory mediators in chronic heart failure: an overview,” Heart, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 464–470, 2004.
- J. Orús, E. Roig, F. Perez-Villa et al., “Prognostic value of serum cytokines in patients with congestive heart failure,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 419–425, 2000.
- M. Rauchhaus, W. Doehner, D. P. Francis et al., “Plasma cytokine parameters and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 102, no. 25, pp. 3060–3067, 2000.
- A. Deswal, N. J. Petersen, A. M. Feldman, J. B. Young, B. G. White, and D. L. Mann, “Cytokines and cytokine receptors in advanced heart failure: an analysis of the cytokine database from the Vesnarinone Trial (VEST),” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 16, pp. 2055–2059, 2001.
- S. D. Anker, W. Steinborn, and S. Strassburg, “Cardiac cachexia,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 518–529, 2004.
- A. I. Larsen, S. Lindal, P. Aukrust, I. Toft, T. Aarsland, and K. Dickstein, “Effect of exercise training on skeletal muscle fibre characteristics in men with chronic heart failure. Correlation between skeletal muscle alterations, cytokines and exercise capacity,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2002.
- D. Tousoulis, M. Charakida, and C. Stefanadis, “Inflammation and endothelial dysfunction as therapeutic targets in patients with heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 347–353, 2005.
- S. Ichihara, Y. Yamada, G. Ichihara et al., “Attenuation of oxidative stress and cardiac dysfunction by bisoprolol in an animal model of dilated cardiomyopathy,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 350, no. 1, pp. 105–113, 2006.
- O. Parodi, R. De Maria, and E. Roubina, “Redox state, oxidative stress and endothelial dysfunction in heart failure: the puzzle of nitrate-thiol interaction,” Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 765–774, 2007.
- S. Adamopoulos, J. Parissis, D. Karatzas et al., “Physical training modulates proinflammatory cytokines and the soluble Fas/soluble Fas ligand system in patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 653–663, 2002.
- S. Adamopoulos, J. T. Parissis, and D. T. Kremastinos, “New aspects for the role of physical training in the management of patients with chronic heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2003.
- S. Adamopoulos, J. Parissis, C. Kroupis et al., “Physical training reduces peripheral markers of inflammation in patients with chronic heart failure,” European Heart Journal, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 791–797, 2001.
- R. V. Milani, C. J. Lavie, and M. R. Mehra, “Reduction in C-reactive protein through cardiac rehabilitation and exercise training,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1056–1061, 2004.
- V. M. Conraads, P. Beckers, J. Bosmans et al., “Combined endurance/resistance training reduces plasma TNF-α receptor levels in patients with chronic heart failure and coronary artery disease,” European Heart Journal, vol. 23, no. 23, pp. 1854–1860, 2002.
- J. P. LeMaitre, S. Harris, K. A. A. Fox, and M. Denvir, “Change in circulating cytokines after 2 forms of exercise training in chronic stable heart failure,” American Heart Journal, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 2004.
- D. Xu, B. Wang, Y. Hou, H. Hui, S. Meng, and Y. Liu, “The effects of exercise training on plasma tumor necrosis factor-alpha, blood leucocyte and its components in congestive heart failure patients,” Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 237–240, 2002.
- L. W. E. Sabelis, P. J. Senden, R. Fijnheer et al., “Endothelial markers in chronic heart failure: training normalizes exercise-induced vWF release,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 583–589, 2004.
- N. Smart and T. H. Marwick, “Exercise training for patients with heart failure: a systematic review of factors that improve mortality and morbidity,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 693–706, 2004.
- A. Ferraz, E. A. Boochi, R. S. Meneghelo, I. I. Umeda, and N. Salvarane, “High sensitive C-reactive protein is reduced by exercise training in chronic heart failure patients: a prospective, randomized, controlled study,” Circulation, vol. 110, pp. 793–794, 2004.
- A. I. Larsen, P. Aukrust, T. Aarsland, and K. Dickstein, “Effect of aerobic exercise training on plasma levels of tumor necrosis factor alpha in patients with heart failure,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 805–808, 2001.
- S. Adamopoulos, A. J. Coats, F. Brunotte, et al., “Physical training improves skeletal muscle metabolism in patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1101–1106, 1993.
- A. I. Karavidas, K. G. Raisakis, J. T. Parissis, et al., “Functional electrical stimulation improves endothelial function and reduces peripheral immune responses in patients with chronic heart failure,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 592–597, 2006.
- A. I. Larsen, K. B. Helle, M. Christensen, J. T. Kvaloy, T. Aarsland, and K. Dickstein, “Effect of exercise training on chromogranin A and relationship to N-ANP and inflammatory cytokines in patients with chronic heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 117–120, 2008.
- I. D. Laoutaris, A. Dritsas, M. D. Brown, et al., “Immune response to inspiratory muscle training in patients with chronic heart failure,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 679–685, 2007.
- J. Niebauer, A. L. Clark, k. M. Webb-Peploe, and A. J. Coats, “Exercise training in chronic heart failure: effects on pro-inflammatory markers,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 189–193, 2005.
- N. Smart, “Effects of exercise training on functional capacity, quality of life, cytokine and brain natriuretic peptide levels in hart failure patients,” Journal of Medical and Biological Sciences, vol. 2, no. 1, 2008.
- J. S. Greiwe, B. Cheng, D. C. Rubin, K. E. Yarasheski, and C. F. Semenkovich, “Resistance exercise decreases skeletal muscle tumor necrosis factor α in frail elderly humans,” FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 475–482, 2001.
- A. M. W. Petersen and B. K. Pedersen, “The anti-inflammatory effect of exercise,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 1154–1162, 2005.
- D. L. Mann, J. J. V. McMurray, M. Packer et al., “Targeted anticytokine therapy in patients with chronic heart failure: results of the Randomized Etanercept Worldwide Evaluation (RENEWAL),” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 13, pp. 1594–1602, 2004.
- N. Morris, G. Gass, M. Thompson, G. Bennett, D. Basic, and H. Morton, “Rate and amplitude of adaptation to intermittent and continuous exercise in older men,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 471–477, 2002.
- K. Meyer, L. Samek, M. Schwaibold et al., “Interval training in patients with severe chronic heart failure: analysis and recommendations for exercise procedures,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 306–312, 1997.
- R. Hambrecht, E. Fiehn, C. Weigl et al., “Regular physical exercise corrects endothelial dysfunction and improves exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 24, pp. 2709–2715, 1998.