- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 791743, 6 pages
Impacts of Snowy Weather Conditions on Expressway Traffic Flow Characteristics
Beijing Key Laboratory of Traffic Engineering, Beijing University of Technology, No. 100, Pingleyuan, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100124, China
Received 13 September 2012; Revised 11 January 2013; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wuhong Wang
Copyright © 2013 Jiancheng Weng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Tanner, “Effect of weather on traffic flow,” Nature, vol. 169, no. 4290, p. 107, 1952.
- J. C. McBride, “Economic impact of highway snow and ice control,” Final Report, Federal Highway Administration Report FHWA-RD-77-95, Washington, DC, USA, 1977.
- Kleitsch and Cleveland, “The effect of rainfall on freeway capacity,” Tech. Rep. HSRI TrS-6, Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 1971.
- E. R. Jones and M. E. Goolsby, “Effect of rain on freeway capacity,” Research Record 14-23, Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A&M University, College Station, Tex, USA, 1969.
- Highway Capacity Manual Fourth Edition (HCM, 2000), Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- H. Y. Wang, Q. J. Xiang, J. Lu, and Y. W. Ren, “Influence of adverse weather on vehicle trip at freeway,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 124–126, 2005.
- K. Y. Dong and B. C. Lu, “Influences of bad weather to movements of vehicles,” Journal of Chongqing Jiaotong University, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 24–26, 2008.
- Q. Li and F. S. Liu, “A moderate expressway vehicle flow control under adverse weather condition,” Shandong Transportation Technology, vol. 3, pp. 9–11, 2009.
- W. H. Wang, F. G. Hou, H. C. Tan, and H. Bubb, “A framework for function allocations in intelligent driver interface design for comfort and safety,” International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 531–541, 2010.
- “Empirical studies on traffic flow in inclement weather,” Federal Highway Administration Report FHWA HOP-07-073, Cambridge Systematics, Inc, and Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, 2006.
- P. J. Maki, “Adverse weather traffic signal timing,” in Proceedings of the 69th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Transportation Engineers, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, 1999.
- H. C. Lieu and S. M. Lin, “Benefit assessment of implementing weather-specific signal timing plans by using CORSIM,” Transportation Research Record, no. 1867, pp. 202–209, 2004.
- L. Zhang, P. Holm, and J. Colyar, “Identifying and assessing key weather-related parameters and their impacts on traffic operations using simulation,” Federal Highway Administration Report FHWA-HRT-04-131, 2004.
- M. W. Hu, “Impact analysis of inclement weather on traffic signal timing,” Transportation Standardization, vol. 169, pp. 156–160, 2007.
- W. Wang, Y. Mao, J. Jin et al., “Driver's various information process and multi-ruled decision-making mechanism: A fundamental of intelligent driving shaping model,” International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 297–305, 2011.
- A. T. Ibrahim and F. L. Hall, “Effect of adverse weather conditions on speed-flow-occupancy relationships,” Transportation Research Record, no. 1457, pp. 184–191, 1994.
- Y. Y. Ren, Study on the Characteristics of Traffic Stream and Management Countermeasure at Urban Road under the Condition [M.S. thesis], Jinlin University, Jilin, China, 2008.
- A. Al-Kaisy and Z. Freedman, “Weather-responsive signal timing: practical guidelines,” Transportation Research Record, no. 1978, pp. 49–60, 2006.
- P. R. Boyce, Lighting For Driving: Roads, Vehicles, Signs, and Signals, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2009.
- S. M. Chin, O. Franzese, D. L. Greene, H. L. Hwang, and R. C. Gibson, “Temporary loss of highway capacity and impact on performance: phase 2,” Tech. Rep. ORNL/TM-2004/209, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2004.
- L. Y. He, Traffic Congestion Issues of Urban Arterial Road under Inclement Weather and Countermeasure [M.S. thesis], Central South University, Changsha, China, 2009.
- F. T. Ren, X. M. Liu, and J. Rong, Traffic Engineering, Communications Press, Beijing, China, 2008.
- X. Q. Zhang, S. An, and H. F. Sheng, “Discrete dynamic road network capacity under adverse weather,” Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 85–88, 2009.