- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 153568, 7 pages
Inhibitory Effect of Nelumbo nucifera (Gaertn.) on the Development of Atopic Dermatitis-Like Skin Lesions in NC/Nga Mice
1Department of Oriental Medicine Resources, College of Natural Science, Mokpo National University, 61 Muan-gun, Jeollanam-do 534-729, Republic of Korea
2Jeollanamdo Institute of Natural Resources Research, Jangheung-gun, Jeollanam-do 529-851, Republic of Korea
3Department of Clinical Pathology, Taekyeung College, Gyeungsan, Gyeongsangbuk-do 712-719, Republic of Korea
Received 5 October 2011; Revised 8 November 2011; Accepted 15 November 2011
Academic Editor: Shrikant Anant
Copyright © 2012 Rajendra Karki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Y. M. Leung and N. A. Soter, “Cellular and immunologic mechanisms in atopic dermatitis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 44, no. 1, supplement 1, pp. S1–S12, 2001.
- H. C. Williams, “Is the prevalence of atopic dermatitis increasing?” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 385–391, 1992.
- C. F. Wahlgren, “Pathophysiology of itching in urticaria and atopic dermatitis,” Allergy, vol. 47, no. 2 I, pp. 65–75, 1992.
- C. Vestergaard, H. Yoneyama, M. Murai et al., “Overproduction of Th2-specific chemokines in NC/Nga mice exhibiting atopic dermatitis-like lesions,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 104, no. 8, pp. 1097–1105, 1999.
- H. Jin, R. He, M. Oyoshi, and R. S. Geha, “Animal models of atopic dermatitis,” The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 2009.
- P. O. Fiset, D. Y. M. Leung, and Q. Hamid, “Immunopathology of atopic dermatitis,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 287–290, 2006.
- H. P. Van Bever, “Recent advances in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 151, no. 12, pp. 870–873, 1992.
- N. Watanabe, Y. Tomimori, K. Saito et al., “Chymase inhibitor improves dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2002.
- H. Matsuda, N. Watanabe, G. P. Geba et al., “Development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesion with IgE hyperproduction in NC/Nga mice,” International Immunology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 461–466, 1997.
- H. Nagai, A. Matsuo, H. Hiyama, N. Inagaki, and K. Kawada, “Immunoglobulin E production in mice by means of contact sensitization with a simple chemical, hapten,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. S39–S44, 1997.
- H. Kitagaki, N. Ono, K. Hayakawa, T. Kitazawa, K. Watanabe, and T. Shiohara, “Repeated elicitation of contact hypersensitivity induces a shift in cutaneous cytokine milieu from a T helper cell type 1 to a T helper cell type 2 profile,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 2484–2491, 1997.
- Y. Ono, E. Hattori, Y. Fukaya, S. Imai, and Y. Ohizumi, “Anti-obesity effect of Nelumbo nucifera leaves extract in mice and rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 238–244, 2006.
- E. Ohkoshi, H. Miyazaki, K. Shindo, H. Watanabe, A. Yoshida, and H. Yajima, “Constituents from the leaves of Nelumbo nucifera stimulate lipolysis in the white adipose tissue of mice,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1255–1259, 2007.
- J. H. Oh, B. J. Choi, M. S. Chang, and S. K. Park, “Nelumbo nucifera semen extract improves memory in rats with scopolamine-induced amnesia through the induction of choline acetyltransferase expression,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 461, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 2009.
- J. Wang, X. Hu, W. Yin, and H. Cai, “Alkaloids of plumula Nelumbinis,” Zhongguo zhong yao za zhi, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 673–703, 1991.
- H. C. William, “Atopic dermatitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 22, pp. 2314–2366, 2005.
- T. Sasakawa, Y. Higashi, S. Sakuma et al., “Atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions induced by topical application of mite antigens in NC/Nga mice,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 239–247, 2001.
- M. Q. Man, Y. Hatano, S. H. Lee et al., “Characterization of a hapten-induced, murine model with multiple features of atopic dermatitis: structural, immunologic, and biochemical changes following single versus multiple oxazolone challenges,” The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 2008.
- S. Romagnani, “Immunologic influences on allergy and the TH1/TH2 balance,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 395–400, 2004.
- D. D. Metcalfe, D. Baram, and Y. A. Mekori, “Mast cells,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 1033–1079, 1997.
- J. R. Gordon, P. R. Burd, and S. J. Galli, “Mast cells as a source of multifunctional cytokines,” Immunology Today, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 458–464, 1990.
- S. Ständer and M. Steinhoff, “Pathophysiology of pruritus in atopic dermatitis: an overview,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 12–24, 2002.
- C. W. Blichmann and J. Serup, “Assessment of skin moisture. Measurement of electrical conductance, capacitance and transepidermal water loss,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 284–290, 1988.
- K. Morikawa, M. Nonaka, M. Narahara et al., “Inhibitory effect of quercetin on carrageenan-induced inflammation in rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 709–721, 2003.