- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 165410, 7 pages
Effects of Yoga on Mental and Physical Health: A Short Summary of Reviews
1Department Quality of Life, Spirituality and Coping, Center of Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Health, Witten/Herdecke University, 58313 Herdecke, Germany
2Department of Internal and Complementary Medicine, Immanuel Hospital Berlin and Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology & Health Economics, Charité-University Medical Center, 14109 Berlin, Germany
3Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
4Director of Research, Patanjali Research Foundation, Haridwar 249405, India
5Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Received 4 May 2012; Revised 4 July 2012; Accepted 18 July 2012
Academic Editor: Vernon A. Barnes
Copyright © 2012 Arndt Büssing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [36 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jane Hart, “Yoga as an adjunctive therapy in the clinical setting,” Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 89–93, 2013.
- Emilia Wysoczańska, and Anna Skrzek, “Newest concepts of physiotherapy research,” Physiotherapy, vol. 21, no. 4, 2013.
- Karen J. Sherman, Robert D. Wellman, Andrea J. Cook, Daniel C. Cherkin, and Rachel M. Ceballos, “Mediators of Yoga and Stretching for Chronic Low Back Pain,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- Michael J. Mackenzie, Linda E. Carlson, Panteleimon Ekkekakis, David M. Paskevich, and S. Nicole Culos-Reed, “Affect and Mindfulness as Predictors of Change in Mood Disturbance, Stress Symptoms, and Quality of Life in a Community-Based Yoga Program for Cancer Survivors,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Marshall Hagins, Sara C. Haden, and Leslie A. Daly, “A Randomized Controlled Trial on the Effects of Yoga on Stress Reactivity in 6th Grade Students,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Marshall Hagins, Rebecca States, Terry Selfe, and Kim Innes, “Effectiveness of Yoga for Hypertension: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Marcy C. McCall, Alison Ward, Nia W. Roberts, and Carl Heneghan, “Overview of Systematic Reviews: Yoga as a Therapeutic Intervention for Adults with Acute and Chronic Health Conditions,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–18, 2013.
- Patricia Anne Kinser, R.K. Elswick, and Susan Kornstein, “Potential Long-Term Effects of a Mind-Body Intervention for Women with Major Depressive Disorder: Sustained Mental Health Improvements with a Pilot Yoga Intervention,” Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 2014.
- Sandi Tenfelde, and Linda Witek Janusek, “Yoga: A Biobehavioral Approach to Reduce Symptom Distress in Women with Urge Urinary Incontinence,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 140819125216006, 2014.
- Sarah M. Corey, Elissa Epel, Michael Schembri, Sarah B. Pawlowsky, Roger J. Cole, Maria Rosario G. Araneta, Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, and Alka M. Kanaya, “Effect of restorative yoga vs. stretching on diurnal cortisol dynamics and psychosocial outcomes in individuals with the metabolic syndrome: The PRYSMS randomized controlled trial,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Patricia A. Kinser, and Debra E. Lyon, “A conceptual framework of stress vulnerability, depression, and health outcomes in women: potential uses in research on complementary therapies for depression,” Brain and Behavior, 2014.
- Guillermo Torres-Casadó, Miguel Villamón, Máxima Bolaños-Pizarro, and Rafael Aleixandre-Benavent, “Impacto científico en los artículos sobre aplicaciones terapéuticas de las prácticas orientales cuerpo-mente (2006-2010),” Revista española de Documentación Científica, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. e042, 2014.
- Lila Louie, “The Effectiveness of Yoga for Depression: A Critical Literature Review,” Issues in Mental Health Nursing, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 265–276, 2014.
- John C. Sieverdes, Martina Mueller, Mathew J. Gregoski, Brenda Brunner-Jackson, Lisa McQuade, Cameron Matthews, and Frank A. Treiber, “Effects of Hatha Yoga on Blood Pressure, Salivary α-Amylase, and Cortisol Function Among Normotensive and Prehypertensive Youth,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 140312065959009, 2014.
- Georgine R. Berent, Jeanne-Marie Zeck, Julia A. Leischner, and Elizabeth A. Berent, “Yoga as an Alternative Intervention for Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle Among College Students,” Journal Of Addictions Nursing, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 167–171, 2014.
- Hye Kyung Cho, Woongjoon Moon, and Jaehee Kim, “Effects of yoga on stress and inflammatory factors in patients with chronic low back pain: A non-randomized controlled study,” European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2014.
- Julienne E. Bower, Gail Greendale, Alexandra D. Crosswell, Deborah Garet, Beth Sternlieb, Patricia A. Ganz, Michael R. Irwin, Richard Olmstead, Jesusa Arevalo, and Steve W. Cole, “Yoga reduces inflammatory signaling in fatigued breast cancer survivors: A randomized controlled trial,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Paul Posadzki, Jiae Choi, Myeong Soo Lee, and Edzard Ernst, “Yoga for addictions: a systematic review of randomised clinical trials,” Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Marshall Hagins, Andrew Rundle, Nathan S. Consedine, and Sat Bir S. Khalsa, “A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing the Effects of Yoga With an Active Control on Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Individuals With Prehypertension and Stage 1 Hypertension,” The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2014.
- Agneta Anderzen-Carlsson, Ulla Persson Lundholm, Monica Kohn, and Elisabeth Westerdahl, “Medical yoga: Another way of being in the world-A phenomenological study from the perspective of persons suffering from stress-related symptoms,” International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-Being, vol. 9, 2014.
- Kimberley Luu, and Peter A. Hall, “Hatha Yoga and Executive Function: A Systematic Review,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2015.
- Farah A. Jindani, and G.F.S. Khalsa, “A Yoga Intervention Program for Patients Suffering from Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Qualitative Descriptive Study,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 401–408, 2015.
- Pamela E. Jeter, Jeremiah Slutsky, Nilkamal Singh, and Sat Bir S. Khalsa, “Yoga as a Therapeutic Intervention: A Bibliometric Analysis of Published Research Studies from 1967 to 2013,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 150721073054002, 2015.
- Ronnesia B. Gaskins, Ernestine G. Jennings, Herpreet Thind, Joseph L. Fava, Santina Horowitz, Ryan Lantini, Bruce M. Becker, and Beth C. Bock, “Recruitment and initial interest of men in yoga for smoking cessation: QuitStrong, a randomized control pilot study,” Translational Behavioral Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 177–188, 2015.
- Friedrich Edelhäuser, Antje Minnerop, Barbara Trapp, Arndt Büssing, and Dirk Cysarz, “Eurythmy therapy increases specific oscillations of heart rate variability,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Lisza Gaiswinkler, Human Friedrich Unterrainer, Andreas Fink, and Hans-Peter Kapfhammer, “Die Beziehung zwischen Yoga Immersion, psychologischem Wohlbefinden und psychiatrischer Symptomatik,” neuropsychiatrie, 2015.
- Catherine Cook-Cottone, “Embodied self-regulation and mindful self-care in the prevention of eating disorders,” Eating Disorders, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- René Bayley-Veloso, and Paul G. Salmon, “Yoga in Clinical Practice,” Mindfulness, 2015.
- Holger Cramer, “Yoga in Germany - Results of a Nationally,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 304–310, 2015.
- H. Nagendra, Vinod Kumar, and S. Mukherjee, “Cognitive Behavior Evaluation Based on Physiological Parameters among Young Healthy Subjects with Yoga as Intervention,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2015, pp. 1–13, 2015.
- L. Gaiswinkler, and H.F Unterrainer, “The relationship between yoga involvement, mindfulness and psychological well-being,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 26, pp. 123–127, 2016.
- Michael de Manincor, Alan Bensoussan, Caroline A. Smith, Kylie Barr, Monica Schweikle, Lee-Lee Donoghoe, Suzannah Bourchier, and Paul Fahey, “Individualized Yoga For Reducing Depression And Anxiety, And Improving Well-Being: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Depression and Anxiety, 2016.
- Peter Sedlmeier, and Kunchapudi Srinivas, “How Do Theories of Cognition and Consciousness in Ancient Indian Thought Systems Relate to Current Western Theorizing and Research?,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Paula Chu, Rinske A. Gotink, Gloria Y. Yeh, Sue J. Goldie, and M. G. Myriam Hunink, “The effectiveness of yoga in modifying risk factors for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of random,” European Journal Of Preventive Cardiology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 291–307, 2016.
- Julia E. Keosaian, Chelsey M. Lemaster, Danielle Dresner, Margo E. Godersky, Ruth Paris, Karen J. Sherman, and Robert B. Saper, “"We're all in this together": A qualitative study of predominantly low income minority participants in a yoga trial for chronic low back pain,” Complementary Therapies In Medicine, vol. 24, pp. 34–39, 2016.
- Kim E. Innes, and Terry Kit Selfe, “Yoga for Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review of Controlled Trials,” Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2016, pp. 1–23, 2016.