- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 250584, 14 pages
Vitamin E and Bone Structural Changes: An Evidence-Based Review
Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety Unit, Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (The National University of Malaysia), Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 5 June 2012; Accepted 7 September 2012
Academic Editor: Srijit Das
Copyright © 2012 Isa Naina Mohamed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation, 2012, http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/bonebasics/whybonehealth.
- D. A. Stevens and G. R. Williams, “Hormone regulation of chondrocyte differentiation and endochondral bone formation,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 151, no. 1-2, pp. 195–204, 1999.
- S. L. Teitelbaum, “Bone resorption by osteoclasts,” Science, vol. 289, no. 5484, pp. 1504–1508, 2000.
- S. Roux and P. Orcel, “Bone loss: factors that regulate osteoclast differentiation,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 451–456, 2000.
- World Health Organisation, 2012, http://www.who.int/chp/topics/Osteoporosis.pdf/.
- S. Muthusami, I. Ramachandran, B. Muthusamy et al., “Ovariectomy induces oxidative stress and impairs bone antioxidant system in adult rats,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 360, no. 1-2, pp. 81–86, 2005.
- N. Suda, I. Morita, T. Kuroda, and S. I. Murota, “Participation of oxidative stress in the process of osteoclast differentiation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1157, no. 3, pp. 318–323, 1993.
- S. Yang, P. Madyastha, S. Bingel, W. Ries, and L. Key, “A new superoxide-generating oxidase in murine osteoclasts,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 8, pp. 5452–5458, 2001.
- Z. Khalkhali-Ellis, P. Collin-Osdoby, L. Li, M. L. Brandi, and P. Osdoby, “A human homolog of the 150 kD avian osteoclast membrane antigen related to superoxide dismutase and essential for bone resorption is induced by developmental agents and opposed by estrogen in FLG 29.1 cells,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 1997.
- R. J. Van't Hof and S. H. Ralston, “Nitric oxide and bone,” Immunology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 255–261, 2001.
- S. Basu, K. Michaëlsson, H. Olofsson, S. Johansson, and H. Melhus, “Association between oxidative stress and bone mineral density,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 288, no. 1, pp. 275–279, 2001.
- S. Yalin, S. Bagis, G. Polat et al., “Is there a role of free oxygen radicals in primary male osteoporosis?” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 689–692, 2005.
- E. Serbinova, V. Kagan, D. Han, and L. Packer, “Free radical recycling and intramembrane mobility in the antioxidant properties of α-tocopherol and alpha-tocotrienol,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 263–275, 1991.
- A. Kamal-Eldin and L. A. Appelqvist, “The chemistry and antioxidant properties of tocopherols and tocotrienols,” Lipids, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 671–701, 1996.
- L. Packer, S. U. Weber, and G. Rimbach, “Molecular aspects of α-tocotrienol antioxidant action and cell signalling,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 369S–373S, 2001.
- Y. Yoshida, E. Niki, and N. Noguchi, “Comparative study on the action of tocopherols and tocotrienols as antioxidant: chemical and physical effects,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 63–75, 2003.
- C. K. Sen, S. Khanna, S. Roy, and L. Packer, “Molecular basis of vitamin E action: tocotrienol potently inhibits glutamate-induced pp60c-src kinase activation and death of HT4 neuronal cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 17, pp. 13049–13055, 2000.
- A. Azzi and A. Stocker, “Vitamin E: non-antioxidant roles,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 231–255, 2000.
- M. G. Traber, “Vitamin E regulatory mechanisms,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 27, pp. 347–362, 2007.
- K. M. Fairfield and R. H. Fletcher, “Vitamins for chronic disease prevention in adults: scientific review,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 23, pp. 3116–3126, 2002.
- M. Arita, Y. Sato, A. Miyata et al., “Human α-tocopherol transfer protein: cDNA cloning, expression and chromosomal localization,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 306, no. 2, pp. 437–443, 1995.
- A. Hosomi, M. Arita, Y. Sato et al., “Affinity for α-tocopherol transfer protein as a determinant of the biological activities of vitamin E analogs,” FEBS Letters, vol. 409, no. 1, pp. 105–108, 1997.
- C. E. Elson, “Tropical oils: nutritional and scientific issues,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 31, no. 1-2, pp. 79–102, 1992.
- J. P. Kamat and T. P. A. Devasagayam, “Tocotrienols from palm oil as potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat brain mitochondria,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 179–182, 1995.
- J. P. Kamat, H. D. Sarma, T. R. A. Devasagayam, K. Nesaretnam, and Y. Basiron, “Tocotrienols from palm oil as effective inhibitors of protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation in rat liver microsomes,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 170, no. 1-2, pp. 131–138, 1997.
- M. Norazlina, P. L. Lee, H. I. Lukman, A. S. Nazrun, and S. Ima-Nirwana, “Effects of vitamin E supplementation on bone metabolism in nicotine-treated rats,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 195–199, 2007.
- A. Azzi, I. Breyer, M. Feher et al., “Specific cellular responses to α-tocopherol,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 1649–1652, 2000.
- R. Ricciarelli, J. M. Zingg, and A. Azzi, “Vitamin E: protective role of a janus molecule,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 2314–2325, 2001.
- M. Passeri and D. Provvedini, “Vitamin E in the physiopathology of the elderly,” Acta Vitaminologica et Enzymologica, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 1983.
- H. Xu, B. A. Watkins, and M. F. Seifert, “Vitamin E stimulates trabecular bone formation and alters epiphyseal cartilage morphometry,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 293–300, 1995.
- S. Ima-Nirwana, A. Kiftiah, A. G. Zainal, M. Norazlina, M. T. Gapor, and B. A. K. Khalid, “Palm vitamin E prevents osteoporosis in orchidectomized growing male rats,” Natural Product Sciences, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 155–160, 2000.
- M. Norazlina, S. Ima-Nirwana, M. T. Gapor, and B. A. K. Khalid, “Palm vitamin E is comparable to α-tocopherol in maintaining bone mineral density in ovariectomised female rats,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 305–310, 2000.
- N. S. Ahmad, B. A. K. Khalid, and S. Ima-Nirwana, “Effects of vitamin E on interleukin-1 in ferric-nitrilotriacetate treated rats,” Malaysian Journal Biochemistry and Biology, vol. 9, pp. 43–47, 2004.
- N. S. Ahmad, B. A. K. Khalid, D. A. Luke, and S. Ima-Nirwana, “Tocotrienol offers better protection than tocopherol from free radical-induced damage of rat bone,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology & Physiology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 761–770, 2005.
- J. K. Yee and S. Ima-Nirwana, “Palm vitamin E protects against ferric-nitriltrioacetate-induced impairment of bone calcification,” Asia Pacific Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1998.
- D. N. Kalu, C. C. Liu, R. R. Hardin, and B. W. Hollis, “The aged rat model of ovarian hormone deficiency bone loss,” Endocrinology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 1989.
- B. H. Arjmandi, S. Juma, A. Beharka, M. S. Bapna, M. Akhter, and S. N. Meydani, “Vitamin E improves bone quality in the aged but not in young adult male mice,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 543–549, 2002.
- B. H. Arjmandi, M. P. Akhter, D. Chakkalakal et al., “Effects of isoflavones, vitamin E, and their combination on bone in an aged rat model of osteopenia,” Journal of Bone Mineral Research, vol. 16, article S553, 2001.
- P. D. Broulik, J. Rosenkrancová, P. Růžička, R. Sedláček, and I. Kurcová, “The effect of chronic nicotine administration on bone mineral content and bone strength in normal and castrated male rats,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2007.
- R. G. Cooper and T. Magwere, “Nitric oxide-mediated pathogenesis during nicotine and alcohol consumption,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2008.
- M. A. Fang, P. J. Frost, A. Iida-Klein, and T. J. Hahn, “Effects of nicotine on cellular function in UMR 106-01 osteoblast-like cells,” Bone, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 283–286, 1991.
- R. Chapurlat, “Epidemiology of osteoporosis,” Journal Society Biology, vol. 202, no. 4, pp. 251–255, 2008.
- D. Kapoor and T. H. Jones, “Smoking and hormones in health and endocrine disorders,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 491–499, 2005.
- H. Hermizi, O. Faizah, S. Ima-Nirwana, S. A. Nazrun, and M. Norazlina, “Beneficial effects of tocotrienol and tocopherol on bone histomorphometric parameters in sprague-dawley male rats after nicotine cessation,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2009.
- C. R. Kessenich, “Calcium and vitamin D supplementation for postmenopausal bone health,” Journal for Nurse Practitioners, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 155–159, 2007.
- T. Imai, M. Omoto, K. Seki, and T. Harada, “The effects of long-term intake of restricted calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin E and cadmium-added diets on various organs and bones of mice: a histological and the roentgenological study,” Japanese Journal of Hygiene, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 660–682, 1995.
- I. N. Sergeev, I. P. Arkhapchev, and V. B. Spirichev, “The role of vitamin E in the metabolism and reception of vitamin D,” Biokhimiya, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1989–1995, 1990.
- M. Norazlina, S. Ima-Nirwana, M. T. A. Gapor, and B. A. K. Khalid, “Tocotrienols are needed for normal bone calcification in growing female rats,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 194–199, 2002.
- M. Norazlina, H. L. R. Ling, and S. Ima-Nirwana, “The effects of vitamin E or calcium supplementation on bone mineral composition in vitamin E deficient rats,” Malaysian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 7, pp. 1–5, 2002.
- H. Bismar, I. Diel, R. Ziegler, and J. Pfeilschifter, “Increased cytokine secretion by human bone marrow cells after menopause or discontinuation of estrogen replacement,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 3351–3355, 1995.
- M. E. Cohen-Solal, A. M. Graulet, M. A. Denne, J. Gueris, D. Baylink, and M. C. de Vernejoul, “Peripheral monocyte culture supernatants of menopausal women can induce bone resorption: involvement of cytokines,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1648–1653, 1993.
- R. Pacifici, C. Brown, E. Puscheck et al., “Effect of surgical menopause and estrogen replacement on cytokine release from human blood mononuclear cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 5134–5138, 1991.
- M. C. Horowitz, “Cytokines and estrogen in bone: anti-osteoporotic effects,” Science, vol. 260, no. 5108, pp. 626–627, 1993.
- S. Ima-Nirwana and S. Suhaniza, “Effects of tocopherols and tocotrienols on body composition and bone calcium content in adrenalectomized rats replaced with dexamethasone,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2004.
- B. J. Smith, E. A. Lucas, R. T. Turner et al., “Vitamin E provides protection for bone in mature hindlimb unloaded male rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 272–279, 2005.
- S. C. Chai, C. I. Wei, K. B. Smith, and B. H. Arjmandi, “The role of vitamin E in reversing bone loss,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 521–527, 2008.
- A. N. Shuid, Z. Mehat, N. Mohamed, N. Muhammad, and I. N. Soelaiman, “Vitamin E exhibits bone anabolic actions in normal male rats,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2010.
- M. Z. Mehat, A. N. Shuid, N. Mohamed, N. Muhammad, and I. N. Soelaiman, “Beneficial effects of vitamin e isomer supplementation on static and dynamic bone histomorphometry parameters in normal male rats,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 503–509, 2010.
- D. Maggio, M. Barabani, M. Pierandrei et al., “Marked decrease in plasma antioxidants in aged osteoporotic women: results of a cross-sectional study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1523–1527, 2003.
- H. M. Macdonald, S. A. New, M. H. N. Golden, M. K. Campbell, and D. M. Reid, “Nutritional associations with bone loss during the menopausal transition: evidence of a beneficial effect of calcium, alcohol, and fruit and vegetable nutrients and of a detrimental effect of fatty acids,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 155–165, 2004.
- R. L. Wolf, J. A. Cauley, M. Pettinger et al., “Lack of a relation between vitamin and mineral antioxidants and bone mineral density: results from the women's health initiative,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 581–588, 2005.
- P. D. Delmas, “Biochemical markers for the assessment of bone turnover,” in Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis and Management, pp. 319–333, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 1995.