- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 545497, 9 pages
Topical Application of Herbal Mixture Extract Inhibits Ovalbumin- or 2,4-Dinitrochlorobenzene-Induced Atopic Dermatitis
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
Received 17 May 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: José Luis Ríos
Copyright © 2012 Soon Re Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Akdis, M. Akdis, T. Bieber et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of atopic dermatitis in children and adults: European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology/American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/PRACTALL Consensus Report,” Allergy, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 969–987, 2006.
- D. Y. M. Leung, M. Boguniewicz, M. D. Howell, I. Nomura, and Q. A. Hamid, “New insights into atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 651–657, 2004.
- B. S. McKenzie, R. A. Kastelein, and D. J. Cua, “Understanding the IL-23-IL-17 immune pathway,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 2006.
- C. Koga, K. Kabashima, N. Shiraishi, M. Kobayashi, and Y. Tokura, “Possible pathogenic role of Th17 cells for atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 2625–2630, 2008.
- R. X. Zhang, M. X. Li, and Z. P. Jia, “Rehmannia glutinosa: review of botany, chemistry and pharmacology,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 199–214, 2008.
- Y. Y. Sung, T. Yoon, J. Y. Jang, S. J. Park, and H. K. Kim, “Topical application of Rehmannia glutinosa extract inhibits mite allergen-induced atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2011.
- P. S. Wu, S. J. Wu, Y. H. Tsai, Y. H. Lin, and J. C. Chao, “Hot water extracted Lycium barbarum and Rehmannia glutinosa inhibit liver inflammation and fibrosis in rats,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 39, pp. 1173–1191.
- H. Kim, E. Lee, S. Lee, T. Shin, Y. Kim, and J. Kim, “Effect of Rehmannia glutinosa on immediate type allergic reaction,” International Journal of Immunopharmacology, vol. 20, no. 4-5, pp. 231–240, 1998.
- H. M. Kim, C. S. An, K. Y. Jung, Y. K. Choo, J. K. Park, and S. Y. Nam, “Rehmannia glutinosa inhibits tumour necrosis factor-α and interleukin-1 secretion from mouse astrocytes,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 171–176, 1999.
- H. M. Lu, Y. Z. Liang, L. Z. Yi, and X. J. Wu, “Anti-inflammatory effect of Houttuynia cordata injection,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 245–249, 2006.
- W. Li, P. Zhou, Y. Zhang, and L. He, “Houttuynia cordata, a novel and selective COX-2 inhibitor with anti-inflammatory activity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 922–927, 2011.
- T. Y. Lin, Y. C. Liu, J. R. Jheng et al., “Anti-enterovirus 71 activity screening of Chinese herbs with anti-infection and inflammation activities,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 143–158, 2009.
- Y. J. Tang, J. S. Yang, C. F. Lin et al., “Houttuynia cordata thunb extract induces apoptosis through mitochondrial-dependent pathway in HT-29 human colon adenocarcinoma cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1051–1056, 2009.
- J. Y. Bae, S. S. Lim, J. S. Choi, and Y. H. Kang, “Protective actions of Rubus coreanus ethanol extract on collagenous extracellular matrix in ultraviolet-B irradiation-induced human dermal fibroblasts,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 1, pp. 279–284, 2007.
- S. H. Ko, S. W. Choi, S. K. Ye, S. Yoo, H. S. Kim, and M. H. Chung, “Comparison of anti-oxidant activities of seventy herbs that have been used in Korean traditional medicine,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 2, pp. 143–151, 2008.
- T. Y. Shin, S. H. Kim, E. S. Lee, D. O. Eom, and H. M. Kim, “Action of Rubus coreanus extract on systemic and local anaphylaxis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 508–513, 2002.
- N. A. Soter, “Morphology of atopic eczema,” Allergy, vol. 44, no. 9, supplement, pp. 16–19, 1989.
- D. Y. M. Leung and T. Bieber, “Atopic dermatitis,” Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9352, pp. 151–160, 2003.
- F. T. Liu, H. Goodarzi, and H. Y. Chen, “IgE, mast cells, and eosinophils in atopic dermatitis,” Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology, vol. 41, pp. 298–310, 2011.
- S. Shahabuddin, P. Ponath, and R. P. Schleimer, “Migration of eosinophils across endothelial cell monolayers: interactions among IL-5, endothelial-activating cytokines, and C-C chemokines,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 164, no. 7, pp. 3847–3854, 2000.
- F. Levi-Schaffer, V. Temkin, V. Malamud, S. Feld, and Y. Zilberman, “Mast cells enhance eosinophil survival in vitro: role of TNF-α and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 160, no. 11, pp. 5554–5562, 1998.
- V. Temkin and F. Levi-Schaffer, “Mechanism of tumour necrosis factor alpha mediated eosinophil survival,” Cytokine, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2001.
- C. M. Lilly, H. Nakamura, H. Kesselman et al., “Expression of eotaxin by human lung epithelial cells. Induction by cytokines and inhibition by glucocorticoids,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1767–1773, 1997.
- G. Z. Li, O. H. Chai, M. S. Lee, E. H. Han, H. T. Kim, and C. H. Song, “Inhibitory effects of Houttuynia cordata water extracts on anaphylactic reaction and mast cell activation,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1864–1868, 2005.
- J. S. Lee, I. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, D. H. Kim, and C. Y. Yun, “Suppressive effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb (Saururaceae) extract on Th2 immune response,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 2008.
- L. S. Chan, N. Robinson, and L. Xu, “Expression of interleukin-4 in the epidermis of transgenic mice results in a pruritic inflammatory skin disease: an experimental animal model to study atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 977–983, 2001.
- T. Zheng, M. H. Oh, S. Y. Oh, J. T. Schroeder, A. B. Glick, and Z. Zhu, “Transgenic expression of interleukin-13 in the skin induces a pruritic dermatitis and skin remodeling,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 742–751, 2009.
- M. E. Rothenberg, “Eosinophilia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, pp. 1592–1600, 1998.
- M. Lampinen, S. Rak, and P. Venge, “The role of interleukin-5, interleukin-8 and RANTES in the chemotactic attraction of eosinophils to the allergic lung,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 314–322, 1999.
- S. H. P. Oliveira, L. H. Faccioli, S. H. Ferreira, and F. Q. Cunha, “Participation of interleukin-5, interleukin-8 and leukotriene B4 in eosinophil accumulation in two different experimental models,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 92, pp. 205–210, 1997.