- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 937605, 7 pages
Resveratrol Produces Neurotrophic Effects on Cultured Dopaminergic Neurons through Prompting Astroglial BDNF and GDNF Release
1Department of Pharmacology and Key Lab of Basic Pharmacology of Guizhou, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi 563099, China
2Pharmacy School, Zunyi Meidcal College, Zunyi 563099, China
3University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Received 12 September 2012; Revised 29 October 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Olumayokun A. Olajide
Copyright © 2012 Feng Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. M. Gao, B. Liu, W. Zhang, and J. S. Hong, “Novel anti-inflammatory therapy for Parkinson's disease,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 395–401, 2003.
- M. L. Block, L. Zecca, and J. S. Hong, “Microglia-mediated neurotoxicity: uncovering the molecular mechanisms,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 57–69, 2007.
- H. R. Ranaivo, J. M. Craft, W. Hu et al., “Glia as a therapeutic target: selective suppression of human amyloid-β-induced upregulation of brain proinflammatory cytokine production attenuates neurodegeneration,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 662–670, 2006.
- H. M. Wu, N. S. Tzeng, L. Qian et al., “Novel neuroprotective mechanisms of memantine: increase in neurotrophic factor release from astroglia and anti-inflammation by preventing microglial activation,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 2344–2357, 2009.
- N. J. Maragakis and J. D. Rothstein, “Mechanisms of Disease: astrocytes in neurodegenerative disease,” Nature Clinical Practice Neurology, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 679–689, 2006.
- P. S. Chen, G. S. Peng, G. Li et al., “Valproate protects dopaminergic neurons in midbrain neuron/glia cultures by stimulating the release of neurotrophic factors from astrocytes,” Molecular Psychiatry, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1116–1125, 2006.
- A. M. Sullivan and A. Toulouse, “Neurotrophic factors for the treatment of Parkinson's disease,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 157–165, 2011.
- H. S. Phillips, J. M. Hains, M. Armanini, G. R. Laramee, S. A. Johnson, and J. W. Winslow, “BDNF mRNA is decreased in the hippocampus of individuals with Alzheimer's disease,” Neuron, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 695–702, 1991.
- K. Schindowski, K. Belarbi, and L. Buée, “Neurotrophic factors in Alzheimer's disease: role of axonal transport,” Genes, Brain and Behavior, vol. 7, supplement 1, pp. 43–56, 2008.
- P. Saiko, A. Szakmary, W. Jaeger, and T. Szekeres, “Resveratrol and its analogs: defense against cancer, coronary disease and neurodegenerative maladies or just a fad?” Mutation Research, vol. 658, no. 1-2, pp. 68–94, 2008.
- F. Zhang, J. Liu, and J. S. Shi, “Anti-inflammatory activities of resveratrol in the brain: role of resveratrol in microglial activation,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 636, no. 1–3, pp. 1–7, 2010.
- M. A. Markus and B. J. Morris, “Resveratrol in prevention and treatment of common clinical conditions of aging,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 331–339, 2008.
- J. Moriya, R. Chen, J. I. Yamakawa, K. Sasaki, Y. Ishigaki, and T. Takahashi, “Resveratrol improves hippocampal atrophy in chronic fatigue mice by enhancing neurogenesis and inhibiting apoptosis of granular cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 354–359, 2011.
- F. Zhang, J. S. Shi, H. Zhou, B. Wilson, J. S. Hong, and H. M. Gao, “Resveratrol protects dopamine neurons against lipopolysaccharide-induced neurotoxicity through its anti-inflammatory actions,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 466–477, 2010.
- F. Zhang, Y. F. Lu, Q. Wu, J. Liu, and J. S. Shi, “Resveratrol promotes neurotrophic factor release from astroglia,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 237, no. 8, pp. 943–948, 2012.
- B. Liu, L. Du, and J. S. Hong, “Naloxone protects rat dopaminergic neurons against inflammatory damage through inhibition of microglia activation and superoxide generation,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. 607–617, 2000.
- W. Zhang, E. J. Shin, T. Wang et al., “3-Hydroxymorphinan, a metabolite of dextromethorphan, protects nigrostriatal pathway against MPTP-elicited damage both in vivo and in vitro,” FASEB Journal, vol. 20, no. 14, pp. 2496–2511, 2006.
- H. M. Gao, J. S. Hong, W. Zhang, and B. Liu, “Distinct role for microglia in rotenone-induced degeneration of dopaminergic neurons,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 782–790, 2002.
- F. Zhang, L. Qian, P. M. Flood, J. S. Shi, J. S. Hong, and H. M. Gao, “Inhibition of IκB kinase-β protects dopamine neurons against lipopolysaccharide-induced neurotoxicity,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 333, no. 3, pp. 822–833, 2010.
- P. M. Rappold and K. Tieu, “Astrocytes and therapeutics for Parkinson’s disease,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 413–423, 2010.
- E. M. Ullian, K. S. Christopherson, and B. A. Barres, “Role for glia in synaptogenesis,” GLIA, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2004.
- C. L. Darlington, “Astrocytes as targets for neuroprotective drugs,” Current Opinion in Investigational Drugs, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 700–703, 2005.
- G. Barreto, R. E. White, Y. Ouyang, L. Xu, and R. G. Giffard, “Astrocytes: targets for neuroprotection in stroke,” Central Nervous System Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 164–173, 2011.
- M. C. Pardon, “Role of neurotrophic factors in behavioral processes: implications for the treatment of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders,” Vitamins and Hormones, vol. 82, pp. 185–200, 2010.
- S. Pezet and M. Malcangio, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor as a drug target for CNS disorders,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 391–399, 2004.
- R. Linker, R. Gold, and F. Luhder, “Function of neurotrophic factors beyond the nervous system: inflammation and autoimmune demyelination,” Critical Reviews in Immunology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 43–68, 2009.
- F. I. Tang, L. T. Tien, F. C. Zhou, B. J. Hoffer, and Y. Wang, “Intranigral ventral mesencephalic grafts and nigrostriatal injections of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor restore dopamine release in the striatum of 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rats,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 287–296, 1998.
- F. C. Cheng, D. R. Ni, M. C. Wu, J. S. Kuo, and L. G. Chia, “Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor protects against 1-methyl- 4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-induced neurotoxicity in C57BL/6 mice,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 252, no. 2, pp. 87–90, 1998.
- T. M. Michel, S. Frangou, S. Camara et al., “Altered glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) concentrations in the brain of patients with depressive disorder: a comparative post-mortem study,” European Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 413–420, 2008.
- M. Takebayashi, K. Hisaoka, A. Nishida et al., “Decreased levels of whole blood glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in remitted patients with mood disorders,” International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 607–612, 2006.
- R. Wei, C. M. Lin, and Y. Y. Tu, “Strain-specific BDNF expression of rat primary astrocytes,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 220, no. 1-2, pp. 90–98, 2010.
- M. Rahvar, M. Nikseresht, S. M. Shafiee et al., “Effect of oral resveratrol on the BDNF gene expression in the hippocampus of the rat brain,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 761–765, 2011.
- M. Yan, H. Dai, T. Ding et al., “Effects of dexmedetomidine on the release of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor from rat astrocyte cells,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 549–557, 2011.
- J. H. Kordower, S. Palfi, E. Y. Chen, et al., “Clinicopathological findings following intraventricular glial-derived neurotrophic factor treatment in a patient with Parkinson’s disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 419–424, 1999.
- J. G. Nutt, K. J. Burchiel, C. L. Comella et al., “Randomized, double-blind trial of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in PD,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2003.
- A. L. Peterson and J. G. Nutt, “Treatment of Parkinson’s disease with trophic factors,” Journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 270–280, 2008.