- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 971896, 11 pages
The Physical Demands of the Tree (Vriksasana) and One-Leg Balance (Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana) Poses Performed by Seniors: A Biomechanical Examination
1Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, University of Southern California (USC), 1540 E. Alcazar Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
2Division of Geriatrics, Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 924 Westwood Boulevard, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Received 3 May 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Andreas Michalsen
Copyright © 2012 Sean S.-Y. Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Sporting Goods Association, Sports Participation in 2010: Lifecycle Demographics, 2011.
- P. R. Bosch, T. Traustadóttir, P. Howard, and K. S. Matt, “Functional and physiological effects of yoga in women with rheumatoid arthritis: a pilot study,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 24–31, 2009.
- K. M. Chen, J. T. Fan, H. H. Wang, S. J. Wu, C. H. Li, and H. S. Lin, “Silver yoga exercises improved physical fitness of transitional frail elders,” Nursing Research, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 364–370, 2010.
- S. Tüzün, I. Aktaş, U. Akarirmak, S. Sipahi, and F. Tüzün, “Yoga might be an alternative training for the quality of life and balance in postmenopausal osteoporosis,” European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2010.
- T. Aigner, J. Rose, J. Martin, and J. Buckwalter, “Aging theories of primary osteoarthritis: from epidemiology to molecular biology,” Rejuvenation Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 134–145, 2004.
- M. P. Cadogan, “Lumbar spinal stenosis: clinical considerations for older adults,” Journal of Gerontological Nursing, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 8–12, 2011.
- W. B. Katzman, L. Wanek, J. A. Shepherd, and D. E. Sellmeyer, “Age-related hyperkyphosis: its causes, consequences, and management,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 352–360, 2010.
- T. Miyazaki, M. Wada, H. Kawahara, M. Sato, H. Baba, and S. Shimada, “Dynamic load at baseline can predict radiographic disease progression in medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 617–622, 2002.
- B. Vanwanseele, F. Eckstein, R. M. Smith et al., “The relationship between knee adduction moment and cartilage and meniscus morphology in women with osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 894–901, 2010.
- M. A. Hunt, T. B. Birmingham, J. R. Giffin, and T. R. Jenkyn, “Associations among knee adduction moment, frontal plane ground reaction force, and lever arm during walking in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2213–2220, 2006.
- L. Sharma, D. Dunlop, T. P. Andriacchi, K. Hayes, J. Song, S. Cahue, et al., “The adduction moment and knee osteoarthritis (OA), a longitudinal study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, supplement 9, article S452, 2003.
- G. A. Greendale, L. Kazadi, S. Mazdyasni, E. Ramirez, M. Wang, S. S. Yu, et al., “The yoga empowers seniors study (YESS): design and asana series,” Journal of Yoga and Physical Therapy, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2012.
- J. M. Burnfield and C. M. Powers, “The role of center of mass kinematics in predicting peak utilized coefficient of friction during walking,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1328–1333, 2007.
- I. McClay and K. Manal, “Three-dimensional kinetic analysis of running: significance of secondary planes of motion,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1629–1637, 1999.
- K. Manal, I. McClay, S. Stanhope, J. Richards, and B. Galinat, “Comparison of surface mounted markers and attachment methods in estimating tibial rotations during walking: an in vivo study,” Gait and Posture, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 2000.
- D. C. Kerrigan, M. K. Todd, U. Della Croce, L. A. Lipsitz, and J. J. Collins, “Biomechanical gait alterations independent of speed in the healthy elderly: evidence for specific limiting impairments,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 317–322, 1998.
- D. Winter, Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Movement, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- C. A. McGibbon, “Toward a better understanding of gait changes with age and disablement: neuromuscular adaptation,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 102–108, 2003.
- G. Wu, S. Siegler, P. Allard et al., “ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate system of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion—part I: ankle, hip, and spine,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 543–548, 2002.
- G. Wu, F. C. T. van der Helm, H. E. J. (DirkJan) Veeger et al., “ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate systems of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion—part II: shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 981–992, 2005.
- D. A. Winter, “Overall principle of lower limb support during stance phase of gait,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 923–927, 1980.
- G. J. Salem and C. M. Powers, “Patellofemoral joint kinetics during squatting in collegiate women athletes,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 424–430, 2001.
- J. R. Cram and G. S. Kasman, Introduction To Surface Electromyography, Aspen Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- C. J. de Luca, “The use of surface electromyography in biomechanics,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 135–163, 1997.
- J. Cohen, “A power primer,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1992.
- D. A. Winter, “Kinematic and kinetic patterns in human gait: variability and compensating effects,” Human Movement Science, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 51–76, 1984.
- L. Wolfson, R. Whipple, C. Derby et al., “Balance and strength training in older adults: Intervention gains and Tai Chi maintenance,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 498–506, 1996.
- M. W. Rogers, L. D. Hedman, M. E. Johnson, T. D. Cain, and T. A. Hanke, “Lateral stability during forward-induced stepping for dynamic balance recovery in young and older adults,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. M589–M594, 2001.
- B. D. Iverson, M. R. Gossman, S. A. Shaddeau, and M. E. Turner, “Balance performance, force production, and activity levels in noninstitutionalized men 60 to 90 years of age,” Physical Therapy, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 348–355, 1990.
- K. M. Winters and C. M. Snow, “Body composition predicts bone mineral density and balance in premenopausal women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 865–872, 2000.
- B. E. Maki, P. J. Holliday, and A. K. Topper, “A prospective study of postural balance and risk of falling in an ambulatory and independent elderly population,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. M72–M84, 1994.
- D. C. Kerrigan, A. Xenopoulos-Oddsson, M. J. Sullivan, J. J. Lelas, and P. O. Riley, “Effect of a hip flexor—stretching program on gait in the elderly,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2003.
- L. Ferrucci, J. M. Guralnik, D. Buchner et al., “Departures from linearity in the relationship between measures of muscular strength and physical performance of the lower extremities: the women's health and aging study,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. M275–M285, 1997.
- M. DiBenedetto, K. E. Innes, A. G. Taylor et al., “Effect of a gentle iyengar yoga program on gait in the elderly: an exploratory study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1830–1837, 2005.
- L. Sharma, D. E. Hurwitz, E. J. A. Thonar, J. A. Sum, M. E. Lenz, D. D. Dunlop, et al., “Knee adduction moment, serum hyaluronan level, and disease severity in medial tibiofemoral osteoarthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1233–1240, 1998.
- S. P. Messier, P. DeVita, R. E. Cowan, J. Seay, H. C. Young, and A. P. Marsh, “Do older adults with knee osteoarthritis place greater loads on the knee during gait? A preliminary study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 703–709, 2005.
- K. R. Kaufman, C. Hughes, B. F. Morrey, M. Morrey, and K. N. An, “Gait characteristics of patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 907–915, 2001.
- M. E. Daubney and E. G. Culham, “Lower-extremity muscle force and balance performance in adults aged 65 years older,” Physical Therapy, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1177–1185, 1999.
- N. D. Reeves, M. V. Narici, and C. N. Maganaris, “Myotendinous plasticity to ageing and resistance exercise in humans,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 483–498, 2006.
- M. J. Bendall, E. J. Bassey, and M. B. Pearson, “Factors affecting walking speed of elderly people,” Age and Ageing, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 327–332, 1989.
- R. H. Whipple, L. I. Wolfson, and P. M. Amerman, “The relationship of knee and ankle weakness to falls in nursing home residents: an isokinetic study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 1987.
- S. R. Lord, R. D. Clark, and I. W. Webster, “Postural stability and associated physiological factors in a population of aged persons,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. M69–M76, 1991.
- S. Studenski, P. W. Duncan, and J. Chandler, “Postural responses and effector factors in persons with unexplained falls: results and methodologic issues,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 1991.
- R. E. Rikli and C. J. Jones, Senior Fitness Test Manual, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2001.
- D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, “The timed “up and go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 142–148, 1991.
- A. Shumway-Cook, S. Brauer, and M. Woollacott, “Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the timed up and go test,” Physical Therapy, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 896–903, 2000.