- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 169249, 6 pages
Intravenous Laser Blood Irradiation, Interstitial Laser Acupuncture, and Electroacupuncture in an Animal Experimental Setting: Preliminary Results from Heart Rate Variability and Electrocorticographic Recordings
1Department of Meridians, Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
2Stronach Research Unit for Complementary and Integrative Laser Medicine, Research Unit of Biomedical Engineering in Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, TCM Research Center Graz, Medical University of Graz, 8036 Graz, Austria
Received 21 December 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: Lu Wang
Copyright © 2013 Wei He et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. E. Litasova, N. N. Vel'tmander, A. M. Karas'kov, and A. I. Novikov, “Use of intravenous irradiation by quantum generators in congenital heart defects complicated by septic endocarditis,” Vestnik Khirurgii Imeni I.I.Grekova, vol. 137, no. 9, pp. 11–14, 1986 (Russian).
- N. F. Gamaleia, V. I. Stadnik, Z. M. Rudykh, N. P. Kosinskaia, and S. V. Shtykhir', “Experimental validation and the initial experience of the use of intravenous laser irradiation of the blood in oncology,” Eksperimental'naia Onkologiia, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 60–63, 1988 (Russian).
- I. M. Korochkin, D. G. Ioseliani, S. F. Berkinbaev, G. M. Kapustina, and E. I. Iarlykova, “Treatment of acute myocardial infarction by intravenous irradiation of the blood using helium-neon laser,” Sovetskaya Meditsina, no. 4, pp. 34–38, 1988 (Russian).
- A. P. Ionin and E. G. Volkova, “Intravenous use of low-energy helium-neon laser irradiation in unstable angina,” Sovetskaya Meditsina, no. 8, pp. 17–19, 1989 (Russian).
- I. P. Nazarov, A. A. Popov, M. A. Mal'tseva, I. V. Osetrov, G. D. Kokaulina, and E. A. Popova, “State of neuroendocrine systems and immunity in patients with burns,” Anesteziologiya i Reanimatologiya, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 1994 (Russian).
- R. A. Nikhinson, E. P. Danilina, A. G. Gitlina, and V. R. Kembel, “Treatment of diffuse peritonitis,” Khirurgiya, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 22–26, 1994 (Russian).
- M. Weber, “Interstitial and intraarticular laser therapy as an attractive new option for the treatment of spinal cord diseases and chronic joint arthroses,” Schmerz & Akupunktur, vol. 2, pp. 2–4, 2011 (German).
- R. Mittermayr, A. Osipov, C. Piskernik et al., “Blue laser light increases perfusion of a skin flap via release of nitric oxide from hemoglobin,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 22–29, 2007.
- C. S. Enwemeka, D. Williams, S. K. Enwemeka, S. Hollosi, and D. Yens, “Blue 470-nm light kills Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in vitro,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 221–226, 2009.
- K. Engelmann, M. G. Mack, K. Eichler, R. Straub, S. Zangos, and T. J. Vogl, “Interstitial photodynamic laser therapy for liver metastases: first results of a clinical phase I-study,” Fortschr Röntgenstr, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 682–687, 2003 (German).
- D. F. Mayor, Electroacupuncture. A Practical Manual and Resource, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 2007.
- X. Y. Gao, K. Liu, B. Zhu, and G. Litscher, “Sino-European transcontinental basic and clinical high-tech acupuncture studies, part 1: auricular acupuncture increases heart rate variability in anesthetized rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 817378, 7 pages, 2012.
- X. Y. Gao, G. Litscher, K. Liu, and B. Zhu, “Sino-European transcontinental basic and clinical high-tech acupuncture studies, part 3: violet laser stimulation in anesthetized rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 402590, 8 pages, 2012.
- V. M. Shapovalov, A. V. Podvigin, G. T. Opekunova, and A. A. Storokha, “The intravenous laser therapy of circulatory encephalopathy,” Voenno-Meditsinskii Zhurnal, vol. 317, no. 4, pp. 30–31, 1996 (Russian).
- L. T. Idrisova, D. A. Enikeev, and T. V. Vasil'eva, “The effect of intravenous laser irradiation of the blood on the brain bioelectrical activity in patients in the postcomatose period,” Voprosy Kurortologii, Fizioterapii i Lechebnoi Fizicheskoi Kultury, no. 2, pp. 28–31, 2000 (Russian).
- M. A. Kaplan, A. M. Shubina, O. V. Borgul, and R. G. Nikitina, “Intravenous photodynamic therapy: first experimental and clinical data,” Voprosy Onkologii, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 345–347, 2010 (Russian).
- Y. Huang, G. Xu, Y. Peng, H. Lin, X. Zheng, and M. Xie, “Zinc phthalocyanine tetrasulfonate (ZnPcS4): a new photosensitizer for photodynamic therapy in choroidal neovascularization,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 377–386, 2007.
- F. Aimbire, R. Albertine, R. G. de Magalhães et al., “Effect of LLLT Ga-Al-As (685 nm) on LPS-induced inflammation of the airway and lung in the rat,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2005.
- H. Yao, H. Sugimori, K. Fukuda et al., “Photothrombotic middle cerebral artery occlusion and reperfusion laser system in spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2716–2721, 2003.
- K. M. Hebeda, W. Kamphorst, H. J. Sterenborg, and J. G. Wolbers, “Damage to tumour and brain by interstitial photodynamic therapy in the 9L rat tumour model comparing intravenous and intratumoral administration of the photosensitiser,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 1998.
- R. Kupers, W. Yu, J. K. E. Persson, X. J. Xu, and Z. Wiesenfeld-Hallin, “Photochemically-induced ischemia of the rat sciatic nerve produces a dose-dependent and highly reproducible mechanical, heat and cold allodynia, and signs of spontaneous pain,” Pain, vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 45–59, 1998.
- H. Nakase, T. Kakizaki, K. Miyamoto et al., “Use of local cerebral blood flow monitoring to predict brain damage after disturbance to the venous circulation: cortical vein occlusion model by photochemical dye,” Neurosurgery, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 1995.
- C. A. M. van Gool, H. J. Schuitmaker, and M. J. Jager, “Corneal neovascularization in rats as a model for photothrombotic therapy using bacteriochlorin a and an argon laser,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 233, no. 7, pp. 435–440, 1995.
- W. K. MacNaughton and L. Prud'homme-Lalonde, “Exposure to ionizing radiation alters vasoreactivity in rat jejunum ex vivo,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 699–705, 1995.
- D. I. Azbel', N. V. Egorushkina, I. I. Kuznetsova et al., “The effect of the blood serum from patients subjected to intravenous laser therapy on the parameters of synaptic transmission,” Byulleten Eksperimentalnoi Biologii i Meditsiny, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 149–151, 1993 (Russian).
- N. Futrell, C. Millikan, B. D. Watson, W. D. Dietrich, and M. D. Ginsberg, “Embolic stroke from a carotid arterial source in the rat: pathology and clinical implications,” Neurology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1050–1056, 1989.
- R. Prado, M. D. Ginsberg, W. D. Dietrich, B. D. Watson, and R. Busto, “Hyperglycemia increases infarct size in collaterally perfused but not end-arterial vascular territories,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 186–192, 1988.
- L. J. Chang, J. F. Lin, C. F. Lin, K. T. Wu, Y. M. Wang, and C. D. Kuo, “Effect of body position on bilateral EEG alterations and their relationship with autonomic nervous modulation in normal subjects,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 490, no. 2, pp. 96–100, 2011.
- H. Abdullah, G. Holland, I. Cosic, and D. Cvetkovic, “Correlation of sleep EEG frequency bands and Heart Rate Variability,” in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '09), pp. 5014–5017, September 2009.
- G. Litscher, “Effects of acupressure, manual acupuncture and Laserneedle acupuncture on EEG bispectral index and spectral edge frequency in healthy volunteers,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2004.
- Y. C. P. Arai, T. Ushida, T. Matsubara et al., “The influence of acupressure at extra 1 acupuncture point on the spectral entropy of the EEG and the LF/HF ratio of heart rate variability,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 503698, 6 pages, 2011.
- K. Streitberger, J. Steppan, C. Maier, H. Hill, J. Backs, and K. Plaschke, “Effects of verum acupuncture compared to placebo acupuncture on quantitative EEG and heart rate variability in healthy volunteers,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 505–513, 2008.
- S. Sakai, E. Hori, K. Umeno, N. Kitabayashi, T. Ono, and H. Nishijo, “Specific acupuncture sensation correlates with EEGs and autonomic changes in human subjects,” Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 158–169, 2007.
- G. D. Baxter, “Laser acupuncture: effectiveness depends upon dosage,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 27, no. 3, article 92, 2009.
- G. Litscher and G. Opitz, “Technical parameters for laser acupuncture to elicit peripheral and central effects: state-of-the-art and short guidelines based on results from the Medical University of Graz, the German Academy of Acupuncture, and the scientific literature,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 697096, 5 pages, 2012.