- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 356260, 11 pages
Chinese Herbal Medicine for Osteoporosis: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trails
Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 725 South Wanping Road, Shanghai 200032, China
Received 12 July 2012; Revised 9 September 2012; Accepted 11 September 2012
Academic Editor: Srijit Das
Copyright © 2013 Zhi-qian Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Stini, “Osteoporosis in biocultural perspective,” Annual Review of Anthropology, vol. 24, pp. 397–421, 1995.
- “National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA,” NIH consensus statement on osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis and therapy, 2000, http://consensus.nih.gov.
- Consensus Development Conference, “Diagnosis, prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 94, pp. 646–650, 1993.
- A. S. Neviaser, J. M. Lane, B. A. Lenart, F. Edobor-Osula, and D. G. Lorich, “Low-energy femoral shaft fractures associated with alendronate use,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 346–350, 2008.
- F. Leung, T. W. Lau, M. To, K. D. K. Luk, and A. W. C. Kung, “Atypical femoral diaphyseal and subtrochanteric fractures and their association with bisphosphonates,” BMJ Case Reports, vol. 368, pp. 316–320, 2009.
- F. Yang, M. R. Xu, M. F. Yang, C. H. Lam, M. T. Lau, and Z. H. Yuan, “Patterns of the use of traditional Chinese medicines in the treatment of osteoporosis,” Chinese Journal of Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 9, no. 31, pp. 203–205, 2005.
- World Health Organization, “Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening postmenopausal osteoporosis,” WHO Technical Report Series 843, Report of a WHO Study Group, 1994.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, “Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0,” The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011, http://www.cochrane.org/training/cochrane-handbook.
- A. R. Jadad, R. A. Moore, D. Carroll et al., “Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?” Controlled Clinical Trials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1996.
- Y. Dai and L. Shen, “Effects of Migu tablet on bone mineral density, serum matrix metalloproteinase-2 level and bone metabolic markers in postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 32, no. 22, pp. 2409–2412, 2007.
- R. H. Zhang, K. J. Chen, D. X. Lu, X. F. Zhu, and X. C. Ma, “A clinical study of Yigu capsule (Chinese characters) in treating postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 2005.
- H. M. Zhu, L. Qin, P. Garnero, et al., “The first multicenter and randomized clinical trial of herbal Fufang for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 23, pp. 1317–1327, 2012.
- Y. H. Xiong, W. R. Teng, T. Liu, et al., “Jiangu granules in treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized, double-blind, double dummy, Multicenter Clinical Trial,” Chinese Journal of Traditional Medical Traumatology & Orthopedics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 17–21, 2008.
- M. Zhou, G.-W. Li, Y.-X. Zheng, et al., “Phase III clinical trial on migu capsule in delaying bone mass loss of primary osteoporosis,” Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 28–31, 2009.
- L. Liao, X.-S. Li, Q.-H. Cai, et al., “Clinical research of the bu shen sheng sui principle curing the postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Chinese Journal of Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 287–289, 2004.
- H. Yang, L. Shen, Y. Zhang, et al., “Observation of the efficacy of GKKFY in treating primary osteoporosis,” Chinese Journal Traditional Medicine Traumatology & Orthopaedics, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 31–33, 2007.
- P.-C. Leung, K.-F. Cheng, and Y.-H. Chan, “An innovative herbal product for the prevention of osteoporosis,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 744–749, 2011.
- H.-M. Wang, J.-R. Ge, G.-T. Shi, et al., “Clinical study on the effect of gushukang capsule in primary osteoporosis treatment,” Chinese Journal of Traditional Medical Traumatology & Orthopedics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 11–15, 2006.
- W.-K. Zheng, C.-Y. Liu, and Y. Zhou, “Clinical study on treatment of postmenoporosis by jinwugutong capsule,” Chinese Journal of Traditional Medical Traumatology & Orthopedics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 30–32, 2007.
- J. J. Wu, L. P. Wen, Y. G. Wu, Q. Shen, and Y. Han, “Effects of Xianling Gubao capsules for the treatment of bone loss induced by glucocorticoid,” China Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 193–195, 2009.
- X. Ruan, J. Qi, Y. Liu, et al., “Effects of traditional Chinese medicine on bone mineral density and femoral neck strength in postmenopausal women,” Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2006.
- W. F. Li, J. G. Jiang, and J. Chen, “Chinese medicine and its modernization demands,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 246–251, 2008.
- S.-Y. Pan, S.-B. Chen, H.-G. Dong et al., “New perspectives on chinese herbal medicine (Zhong-Yao) research and development,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 403709, 11 pages, 2011.
- J. F. Wang, D. Q. Wei, and K. C. Chou, “Drug candidates from traditional Chinese medicines,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 18, pp. 1656–1665, 2008.
- F. Firenzuoli and L. Gori, “Herbal medicine today: clinical and research issues,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, supplement 1, pp. 37–40, 2007.
- S. Evans, “Changing the knowledge base in Western herbal medicine,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 2098–2106, 2008.
- R. D. Tiwari and G. Misra, “Structural studies of the constituents of the rhizomes of Curculigo orchiodes,” Planta Medica, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 291–294, 1976.
- B. K. Mehta, A. Dubey, and M. M. Bokadia, “A new aliphatic long-chain methoxyketone from Curculigo orchioides roots,” Indian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 282–283, 1983.
- Q. Wu, D. X. Fu, A. J. Hou et al., “Antioxidative phenols and phenolic glycosides from Curculigo orchioides,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1065–1067, 2005.
- S. Y. Tang, M. Whiteman, Z. F. Peng, A. Jenner, E. L. Yong, and B. Halliwell, “Characterization of antioxidant and antiglycation properties and isolation of active ingredients from traditional chinese medicines,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1575–1587, 2004.
- V. Lakshmi, K. Pandey, A. Puri, R. P. Saxena, and K. C. Saxena, “Immunostimulant principles from Curculigo orchioides,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 181–184, 2003.
- A. R. Bafna and S. H. Mishra, “Immunostimulatory effect of methanol extract of Curculigo orchioides on immunosuppressed mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 1–4, 2006.
- D. P. Cao, Y. N. Zheng, L. P. Qin et al., “Curculigo orchioides, a traditional Chinese medicinal plant, prevents bone loss in ovariectomized rats,” Maturitas, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 373–380, 2008.
- Pharmacopoeia Commission of People’s Republic of China, Pharmacopoeia of People’s Republic of China. Part 1, Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, China, 2005.
- Y. Y. Shi, Y. Shi, H. S. Zhang, et al., “Advantage and disadvantage of TCM in prevention and treatment of osteoporosis,” Acta Universitatis Traditionis Medicalis Sinensis Pharmacologiaeque Shanghai, vol. 20, pp. 1–3, 2006.
- H. Nian, L. P. Qin, Q. Y. Zhang, H. C. Zheng, Y. Yu, and B. K. Huang, “Antiosteoporotic activity of Er-Xian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula, in ovariectomized rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2006.
- H.-P. Ma, Z.-P. Jia, et al., “Studies on the theraputic effect of total flavonoids of HERBA EPIMEDII on experimental osteoporosis in rats,” Journal of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 3, 2002.
- B. H. Arjmandi and B. J. Smith, “Soy isoflavones' osteoprotective role in postmenopausal women: mechanism of action,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 130–137, 2002.
- J. J. B. Anderson and S. C. Garner, “Phytoestrogens and bone,” Bailliere's Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 543–557, 1998.
- S. E. Putnam, A. M. Scutt, K. Bicknell, C. M. Priestley, and E. M. Williamson, “Natural products as alternative treatments for metabolic bone disorders and for maintenance of bone health,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 99–112, 2007.
- K. Yamaguchi, C. Shinohara, S. Kojima, M. Sodeoka, and T. Tsuji, “(2E,6R)-8-hydroxy-2,6-dimethyl-2-octenoic acid, a novel Anti-osteoporotic monoterpene, isolated from Cistanche salsa,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 731–735, 1999.
- J. C. Jeong, C. H. Yoon, C. W. Jeong, Y. C. Lee, Y. C. Chang, and C. H. Kim, “Inhibitory activity of Drynariae rhizoma extracts on cathepsin having bone resorption activity,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 373–385, 2004.
- J. C. Jeong, B. T. Lee, C. H. Yoon, H. M. Kim, and C. H. Kim, “Effects of Drynariae rhizoma on the proliferation of human bone cells and the immunomodulatory activity,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 125–136, 2005.
- R. W. K. Wong and A. B. M. Rabie, “Systemic effect of crude extract from rhizome of Drynaria fortunei on bone formation in mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 313–315, 2006.
- D. Wang, F. Li, and Z. Jiang, “Osteoblastic proliferation stimulating activity of Psoralea corylifolia extracts and two of its flavonoids,” Planta Medica, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 748–749, 2001.
- I. Dontas, M. Halabalaki, P. Moutsatsou et al., “Protective effect of plant extract from Onobrychis ebenoides on ovariectomy-induced bone loss in rats,” Maturitas, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 234–242, 2006.
- R. Zhang, Z. G. Liu, C. Li et al., “Du-Zhong (Eucommia ulmoides Oliv.) cortex extract prevent OVX-induced osteoporosis in rats,” Bone, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 553–559, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, W. P. Lai, P. C. Leung, C. F. Wu, X. S. Yao, and M. S. Wong, “Effects of Fructus Ligustri Lucidi extract on bone turnover and calcium balance in ovariectomized rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 291–296, 2006.
- X. Liu, S. Zhang, X. Lu, et al., “Metabonomic study on the anti-osteoporosis effect of Rhizoma Drynariae and its action mechanism using ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 311–317, 2012.
- R. Zhang, S.-J Hu, C. Li, F. Zhang, H. Q. Gan, and Q. B. Mei, “Achyranthes bidentata root extract prevent OVX-induced osteoporosis in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 12–18, 2012.
- X. Zhao, Z.-X Wu, Y. Zhang, et al., “Anti-osteoporosis activity of Cibotium barometz extract on ovariectomy-induced bone loss in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 1083–1088, 2011.