- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 372908, 7 pages
Psychoneuroimmunology-Based Stress Management during Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Early Breast Cancer
1Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
2Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
3North Carolina A & T University School of Nursing, Greensboro, NC 27411, USA
Received 30 January 2013; Revised 7 April 2013; Accepted 11 April 2013
Academic Editor: Ching Lan
Copyright © 2013 Jo Lynne W. Robins et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Horowitz, N. Wilner, and W. Alvarez, “Impact of event scale: a measure of subjective stress,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 209–218, 1979.
- R. Ader, Psychoneuroimmunology, Elsevier, Burlington, Mass, USA, 4th edition, 2007.
- R. Glaser and J. K. Kiecolt-Glaser, “Stress-induced immune dysfunction: implications for health,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 243–251, 2005.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, J. Xu, and E. Ward, “Cancer statistics, 2010,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 277–300, 2010.
- A. H. Miller, S. Ancoli-Israel, J. E. Bower, L. Capuron, and M. R. Irwin, “Neuroendocrine-immune mechanisms of behavioral comorbidities in patients with cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 971–982, 2008.
- G. Drolet, E. C. Dumont, I. Gosselin, R. Kinkead, S. Laforest, and J. F. Trottier, “Role of endogenous opioid system in the regulation of the stress response,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 729–741, 2001.
- J. K. Kiecolt-Glaser, T. F. Robles, K. L. Heffner, T. J. Loving, and R. Glaser, “Psycho-oncology and cancer: psychoneuroimmunology and cancer,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 165–169, 2002.
- S. Modi, K. S. Panageas, E. T. Duck et al., “Prospective exploratory analysis of the association between tumor response, quality of life, and expenditures among patients receiving paclitaxel monotherapy for refractory metastatic breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 17, pp. 3665–3673, 2002.
- W. A. Bardwell, L. Natarajan, J. E. Dimsdale et al., “Objective cancer-related variables are not associated with depressive symptoms in women treated for early-stage breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 2420–2427, 2006.
- Chintamani, A. Gogne, R. Khandelwal et al., “The correlation of anxiety and depression levels with response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Short Reports, vol. 2, no. 3, article 15, 2011.
- M. N. Liao, M. F. Chen, S. C. Chen, and P. L. Chen, “Uncertainty and anxiety during the diagnostic period for women with suspected breast cancer,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 274–283, 2008.
- C. L. Raison and A. H. Miller, “Depression in cancer: new developments regarding diagnosis and treatment,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 283–294, 2003.
- N. L. McCain, D. P. Gray, J. M. Walter, and J. Robins, “Implementing a comprehensive approach to the study of health dynamics using the psychoneuroimmunology paradigm,” Advances in Nursing Science, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 320–332, 2005.
- N. L. McCain, B. A. Munjas, C. L. Munro et al., “Effects of stress management on PNI-based outcomes in persons with HIV disease,” Research in Nursing and Health, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 102–117, 2003.
- N. L. McCain, D. P. Gray, R. K. Elswick et al., “A Randomized clinical trial of alternative stress management interventions in persons with HIV infection,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 431–441, 2008.
- M. W. Groer and J. W. Beckstead, “Multidimensional scaling of multiplex data: human milk cytokines,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 2011.
- M. J. Brady, D. F. Cella, F. Mo et al., “Reliability and validity of the functional assessment of cancer therapy- breast quality-of-life instrument,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 974–986, 1997.
- S. M. Beaulac, L. A. McNair, T. E. Scott, W. W. LaMorte, and M. T. Kavanah, “Lymphedema and quality of life in survivors of early-stage breast cancer,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 137, no. 11, pp. 1253–1257, 2002.
- D. S. Sauriyal, A. S. Jaggi, and N. Singh, “Extending pharmacological spectrum of opioids beyond analgesia: multifunctional aspects in different pathophysiological states,” Neuropeptides, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 175–188, 2011.
- L. S. Radloff, “The CES-D Scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population,” Applied Psychological Measures, vol. 1, pp. 385–401, 1977.
- J. A. Broeckel, P. B. Jacobsen, L. Balducci, J. Horton, and G. H. Lyman, “Tamoxifen and depression: more evidence from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project's Breast Cancer Prevention (P-1) randomized study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 93, no. 21, pp. 2659–2669, 2001.
- D. Hann, K. Winter, and P. Jacobsen, “Measurement of depressive symptoms in cancer patients: evaluation of the center for epidemiological studies depression scale (CES-D),” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 437–443, 1999.
- J. A. Broeckel, P. B. Jacobsen, L. Balducci, J. Horton, and G. H. Lyman, “Quality of life after adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 141–150, 2000.
- C. J. Heijnen and K. Kavelaars, “Opioid peptide production by the immune system,” in Psychoneuroimmunology: An Interdisciplinary Introduction, M. Schedlowski and U. Tewes, Eds., pp. 209–222, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- M. Schedlowski and R. J. Benschop, “Neuroendocrine system and immune functions,” in Psychoneuroimmunology: An Interdisciplinary Introduction, M. Schedlowski and U. Tewes, Eds., pp. 185–207, Plenum, New York, 1999.
- J. K. Kiecolt-Glaser, L. McGuire, T. F. Robles, and R. Glaser, “Psychoneuroimmunology: psychological influences on immune function and health,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 537–547, 2002.
- S. J. Larson and A. J. Dunn, “Behavioral effects of cytokines,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 371–387, 2001.
- J. Robins, R. K. Elswick Jr., and N. L. McCain, “The story of the evolution of a unique tai chi form: origins, philosophy, and research,” Journal of Holistic Nursing, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 134–146, 2012.
- I. Tuck, “Development of a spirituality intervention to promote healing,” Journal of Theory Construction and Testing, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 67–71, 2004.
- M. H. Antoni, S. Lechner, A. Diaz et al., “Cognitive behavioral stress management effects on psychosocial and physiological adaptation in women undergoing treatment for breast cancer,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 580–591, 2009.
- K. E. Stewart, R. Elswick, D. E. Lyon, and N. L. McCain, “Evaluating patterns of cytokine expression in women undergoing chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer: a factor analytic approach,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 25, supplement 2, 2011.