- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 638050, 5 pages
Spa Treatment (Balneotherapy) for Fibromyalgia—A Qualitative-Narrative Review and a Historical Perspective
1Institute of Rheumatology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, 6 Weizman Street, 64239 Tel Aviv, Israel
2Department of Internal Medicine I, Klinikum Saarbrücken, 66119 Saarbrücken, Germany
3Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Technische Universität München, 81675 München, Germany
4Ben Gurion University, Department of Medicine H, Soroka Medical Center and Faculty of Health Sciences, 84101 Beer Sheva, Israel
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 8 July 2013; Accepted 12 July 2013
Academic Editor: Romy Lauche
Copyright © 2013 Jacob N. Ablin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Guidelli, S. Tenti, E. de Nobili, and A. Fioravanti, “Fibromyalgia syndrome and spa therapy: myth or reality?” Clinical Medicine Insights, vol. 5, pp. 19–26, 2012.
- L. S. Wieland, E. Manheimer, and B. M. Berman, “Development and classification of an operational definition of complementary and alternative medicine for the Cochrane collaboration,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 50–59, 2011.
- A. P. Verhagen, S. Bierma-Zeinstra, J. Lambeck et al., “Balneotherapy for osteoarthritis. A cochrane review,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1118–1123, 2008.
- A. P. Verhagen, S. M. Bierma-Zeinstra, M. Boers et al., “Balneotherapy for osteoarthritis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD006864, 2007.
- A. L. Croutier, Taking the Waters: Spirit, Art, Sensuality, Abbeville Press, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1992.
- A. Van Tubergen and S. Van der Linden, “A brief history of spa therapy,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 273–275, 2002.
- R. Jackson, “Waters and spas in the classical world,” Medical History. Supplement, no. 10, pp. 1–13, 1990.
- A. Katsambas and C. Antoniou, “Mineral water and spas in Greece,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 615–618, 1996.
- J. H. Ólafsson, “The Blue Lagoon in Iceland and psoriasis,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 647–651, 1996.
- S. K. Petursdottir, S. H. Bjornsdottir, G. O. Hreggvidsson, S. Hjorleifsdottir, and J. K. Kristjansson, “Analysis of the unique geothermal microbial ecosystem of the Blue Lagoon,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 425–432, 2009.
- S. Grether-Beck, K. Mühlberg, H. Brenden et al., “Bioactive molecules from the Blue Lagoon: in vitro and in vivo assessment of silica mud and microalgae extracts for their effects on skin barrier function and prevention of skin ageing,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 771–779, 2008.
- T. Titzmann and B.-R. Balda, “Mineral water and spas in Germany,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 611–613, 1996.
- S.-K. Hann, “Mineral water and spas in Korea,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 633–635, 1996.
- R. Wolf, “Mineral water and spas in Israel,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 619–626, 1996.
- D. Fabiani, G. Partsch, R. Casale, and M. M. Cerinic, “Rheumatologic aspects of mineral water,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 571–575, 1996.
- P. Coruzzi, C. Ravanetti, L. Musiari, B. A. Biggi a., P. P. Vescovi, and A. Novarini, “Circulating opioid peptides during water immersion in normal man,” Clinical Science, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 1988.
- S. A. Bood, U. Sundequist, A. Kjellgren, G. Nordstrom, and T. Norlander, “Effects of flotation-restricted environmental stimulation technique on stress-related muscle pain: what makes the difference in therapy—attention-placebo or the relaxation response?” Pain Research and Management, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 201–209, 2005.
- A. Kjellgren, U. Sundequist, T. Norlander, and T. Archer, “Effects of flotation-REST on muscle tension pain,” Pain Research and Management, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 181–189, 2001.
- R. Grahame, J. N. Hunt, S. Kitchen, and A. Gabell, “The diuretic and natriuretic effect of water immersion: a possible rationale for balneotherapy,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 37, no. 6, p. 567, 1978.
- J. P. O'Hare, A. Heywood, P. Dodds, R. J. M. Corral, and P. Dieppe, “Water immersion in rheumatoid arthritis,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 23, pp. 117–118, 1984.
- S. Bellometti and L. Galzigna, “Serum levels of a prostaglandin and a leukotriene after thermal mud pack therapy,” Journal of Investigative Medicine, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 140–145, 1998.
- M. B. Yunus, “Central sensitivity syndromes: a new paradigm and group nosology for fibromyalgia and overlapping conditions, and the related issue of disease versus illness,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 339–352, 2008.
- D. J. Clauw, “Pain management: fibromyalgia drugs are “as good as it gets” in chronic pain,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 439–440, 2010.
- S. D. Mist, K. A. Firestone, and K. D. Jones, “Complementary and alternative exercise for fibromyalgia: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Pain Research, vol. 6, p. 247, 2013.
- D. Buskila, M. Abu-Shakra, L. Neumann et al., “Balneotherapy for fibromyalgia at the Dead Sea,” Rheumatology International, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 105–108, 2001.
- L. Neumann, S. Sukenik, A. Bolotin et al., “The effect of balneotherapy at the Dead Sea on the quality of life of patients with Fibromyalgia syndrome,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2001.
- A. Cimbiz, V. Bayazit, H. Hallaceli, and U. Cavlak, “Effect of combined spa and physical therapy on pain in various chronic diseases,” Neurosciences, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 137–143, 2005.
- T. R. Zijlstra, M. A. F. J. van de Laar, H. J. Bernelot Moens, E. Taal, L. Zakraoui, and J. J. Rasker, “Spa treatment for primary fibromyalgia syndrome: a combination of thalassotherapy, exercise and patient education improves symptoms and quality of life,” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 539–546, 2005.
- T. R. Zijlstra, L. M. A. Braakman-Jansen, E. Taal, J. J. Rasker, and M. A. F. J. van de Laar, “Cost-effectiveness of Spa treatment for fibromyalgia: general health improvement is not for free,” Rheumatology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1454–1459, 2007.
- A. Fioravanti, G. Perpignano, G. Tirri et al., “Effects of mud-bath treatment on fibromyalgia patients: a randomized clinical trial,” Rheumatology International, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1157–1161, 2007.
- A. Françon and R. Forestier, “Spa therapy in rheumatology. Indications based on the clinical guidelines of the French National Authority for Health and the European League Against Rheumatism, and the results of 19 randomized clinical trials,” Bulletin de l'Academie Nationale de Medecine, vol. 193, no. 6, pp. 1345–1358, 2009.
- M. E. Falagas, E. Zarkadoulia, and P. I. Rafailidis, “The therapeutic effect of balneotherapy: evaluation of the evidence from randomised controlled trials,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 1068–1084, 2009.
- F. Ardiç, M. Özgen, H. Aybek, S. Rota, D. Çubukçu, and A. Gökgöz, “Effects of balneotherapy on serum IL-1, PGE2 and LTB4 levels in fibromyalgia patients,” Rheumatology International, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 441–446, 2007.
- S. Bagis, L. Tamer, G. Sahin et al., “Free radicals and antioxidants in primary fibromyalgia: an oxidative stress disorder?” Rheumatology International, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 188–190, 2005.
- A. Fioravanti, L. Cantarini, G. M. Guidelli, and M. Galeazzi, “Mechanisms of action of spa therapies in rheumatic diseases: what scientific evidence is there?” Rheumatology International, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- J. Langhorst, F. Musial, P. Klose, and W. Häuser, “Efficacy of hydrotherapy in fibromyalgia syndrome-a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials,” Rheumatology, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1155–1159, 2009.