- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 685642, 13 pages
Antidiabetic Effect and Mode of Action of Cytopiloyne
1Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University, 402 Taichung, Taiwan
2Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, 128 Academia Road, Section 2, Nankang, 115 Taipei, Taiwan
3Research Center, China Medical University and Hospital, Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Sciences, China Medical University, 40402 Taichung, Taiwan
4Institute of Zoology, National Taiwan University, 10617 Taipei, Taiwan
5Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, 402 Taichung, Taiwan
Received 3 November 2012; Accepted 29 January 2013
Academic Editor: Srinivas Nammi
Copyright © 2013 Cicero Lee-Tian Chang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Wicksteed, C. Alarcon, I. Briaud, M. K. Lingohr, and C. J. Rhodes, “Glucose-induced translational control of proinsulin biosynthesis is proportional to preproinsulin mRNA levels in islet β-cells but not regulated via a positive feedback of secreted insulin,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 43, pp. 42080–42090, 2003.
- P. Newsholme, C. Gaudel, and N. H. McClenaghan, “Nutrient regulation of insulin secretion and β-cell functional integrity,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 654, pp. 91–114, 2010.
- M. Laakso, “Insulin resistance and its impact on the approach to therapy of type 2 diabetes,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, Supplement, no. 121, pp. 8–12, 2001.
- R. S. Clements and D. S. H. Bell, “Complications of diabetes: prevalence, detection, current treatment, and prognosis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 2–7, 1985.
- J. P. Boyle, M. M. Engelgau, T. J. Thompson et al., “Estimating prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in a population of African Americans with diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 1999.
- A. S. Attele, Y. P. Zhou, J. T. Xie et al., “Antidiabetic effects of Panax ginseng berry extract and the identification of an effective component,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1851–1858, 2002.
- A. J. Krentz and C. J. Bailey, “Oral antidiabetic agents: current role in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Drugs, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 385–411, 2005.
- H. C. S. Howlett and C. J. Bailey, “A risk-benefit assessment of metformin in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Drug Safety, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 489–503, 1999.
- J. Q. Purnell and C. Weyer, “Weight effect of current and experimental drugs for diabetes mellitus: from promotion to alleviation of obesity,” Treatments in Endocrinology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 33–47, 2003.
- J. M. Egan, A. Bulotta, H. Hui, and R. Perfetti, “GLP-1 receptor agonists are growth and differentiation factors for pancreatic islet beta cells,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2003.
- R. J. Marles and N. R. Farnsworth, “Antidiabetic plants and their active constituents,” Phytomedicine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 137–189, 1995.
- M. Habeck, “Diabetes treatments get sweet help from nature,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 10, p. 1228, 2003.
- A. Y. Oubré, T. J. Carlson, S. R. King, and G. M. Reaven, “From plant to patient: an ethnomedical approach to the identification of new drugs for the treatment of NIDDM,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 614–617, 1997.
- F. J. Alarcon-Aguilar, R. Roman-Ramos, J. L. Flores-Saenz, and F. Aguirre-Garcia, “Investigation on the hypoglycaemic effects of extracts of four Mexican medicinal plants in normal and alloxan-diabetic mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 383–386, 2002.
- C. C. Lin, “Crude drugs used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in Taiwan,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 269–279, 1992.
- R. P. Ubillas, C. D. Mendez, S. D. Jolad et al., “Antihyperglycemic acetylenic glucosides from Bidens pilosa,” Planta Medica, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 82–83, 2000.
- S. L. Chang, C. L. T. Chang, Y. M. Chiang et al., “Polyacetylenic compounds and butanol fraction from Bidens pilosa can modulate the differentiation of helper T cells and prevent autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice,” Planta Medica, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 1045–1051, 2004.
- C. L. T. Chang, S. L. Chang, Y. M. Lee et al., “Cytopiloyne, a polyacetylenic glucoside, prevents type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 11, pp. 6984–6993, 2007.
- S. C. Chien, P. H. Young, Y. J. Hsu et al., “Anti-diabetic properties of three common Bidens pilosa variants in Taiwan,” Phytochemistry, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 1246–1254, 2009.
- Y. J. Hsu, T. H. Lee, C. L. T. Chang, Y. T. Huang, and W. C. Yang, “Anti-hyperglycemic effects and mechanism of Bidens pilosa water extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 379–383, 2009.
- T. Harrity, D. Farrelly, A. Tieman et al., “Muraglitazar, a novel dual (α/γ) peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor activator, improves diabetes and other metabolic abnormalities and preserves β-cell function in db/db mice,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 240–248, 2006.
- J. W. Cardinal, D. J. Allan, and D. P. Cameron, “Differential metabolite accumulation may be the cause of strain differences in sensitivity to streptozotocin-induced β cell death in inbred mice,” Endocrinology, vol. 139, no. 6, pp. 2885–2891, 1998.
- R. S. Surwit, M. F. Seldin, C. M. Kuhn, C. Cochrane, and M. N. Feinglos, “Control of expression of insulin resistance and hyperglycemia by different genetic factors in diabetic C57BL/6J mice,” Diabetes, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 1991.
- W. T. Cefalu, “Animal models of type 2 diabetes: clinical presentation and pathophysiological relevance to the human condition,” ILAR Journal, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 186–198, 2006.
- I. Miwa, N. Ichimura, M. Sugiura, Y. Hamada, and S. Taniguchi, “Inhibition of glucose-induced insulin secretion by 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal and other lipid peroxidation products,” Endocrinology, vol. 141, no. 8, pp. 2767–2772, 2000.
- H. H. Sung, J. H. Juang, Y. C. Lin et al., “Transgenic expression of decoy receptor 3 protects islets from spontaneous and chemical-induced autoimmune destruction in nonobese diabetic mice,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 199, no. 8, pp. 1143–1151, 2004.
- E. G. Bligh and W. J. Dyer, “A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 911–917, 1959.
- D. R. Garris and B. L. Garris, “Estrogenic restoration of functional pancreatic islet cytoarchitecture in diabetes (db/db) mutant C57BL/KsJ mice: relationship to estradiol localization, systemic glycemia, and persistent hyperinsulinemia,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 319, no. 2, pp. 231–242, 2005.
- E. H. Leiter and C. H. Lee, “Mouse models and the genetics of diabetes: is there evidence for genetic overlap between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. S151–S158, 2005.
- M. Yamanaka, Y. Itakura, A. Tsuchida, T. Nakagawa, and M. Taiji, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) prevents the development of diabetes in prediabetic mice,” Biomedical Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 147–153, 2008.
- S. L. Howell, P. M. Jones, and S. J. Persaud, “Protein kinase C and the regulation of insulin secretion,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 114–116, 1990.
- S. L. Howell, P. M. Jones, and S. J. Persand, “Regulation of insulin secretion: the role of second messengers,” Diabetologia, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. S30–S35, 1994.
- P. M. Jones, S. J. Persaud, and S. L. Howell, “Protein kinase C and the regulation of insulin secretion from pancreatic B cells,” Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 1991.
- S. J. Persaud, P. M. Jones, D. Sugden, and S. L. Howell, “Translocation of protein kinase C in rat islets of Langerhans. Effects of a phorbol ester, carbachol and glucose,” FEBS Letters, vol. 245, no. 1-2, pp. 80–84, 1989.
- S. G. Straub and G. W. G. Sharp, “Glucose-stimulated signaling pathways in biphasic insulin secretion,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 451–463, 2002.
- K. Ohneda, H. Ee, and M. German, “Regulation of insulin gene transcription,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 227–233, 2000.
- C. Alarcon, B. Wicksteed, and C. J. Rhodes, “Exendin 4 controls insulin production in rat islet beta cells predominantly by potentiation of glucose-stimulated proinsulin biosynthesis at the translational level,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2920–2929, 2006.