- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 549721, 7 pages
Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
1Family Medicine Clinic and Research Institute of Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Beomeo-ri, Mulgeum-eup, Yangsan 770-626, Gyeongsangnam-do, Republic of Korea
2Medical Education Unit, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Yangsan 626-870, Republic of Korea
3Department of Family Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan 602-739, Republic of Korea
4Centum Family Clinic, Busan 612-020, Republic of Korea
Received 13 February 2014; Accepted 4 April 2014; Published 23 April 2014
Academic Editor: Rainer W. Bussmann
Copyright © 2014 Young Hye Cho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. A. Olsen, A. G. Messenger, J. Shapiro et al., “Evaluation and treatment of male and female pattern hair loss,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 301–311, 2005.
- R. Hoffmann, “Male androgenetic alopecia,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 373–382, 2002.
- W. Lee and H. Lee, “Characteristics of androgenetic alopecia in Asian,” Annals of Dermatology, vol. 24, pp. 243–252, 2012.
- M. Semalty, A. Semalty, G. P. Joshi, and M. S. M. Rawat, “Hair growth and rejuvenation: an overview,” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 123–132, 2011.
- K. D. Kaufman, “Androgens and alopecia,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 198, no. 1-2, pp. 89–95, 2002.
- K. D. Kaufman, E. A. Olsen, D. Whiting et al., “Finasteride in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 578–589, 1998.
- J. F. Libecco and W. F. Bergfeld, “Finasteride in the treatment of alopecia,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 933–940, 2004.
- M. J. Rapaport, “Follow-up of 1 mg finasteride treatment of male pattern baldness-difference between clinical trials and private office follow-up: influences on prescribing habits evaluated,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 761–763, 2004.
- A. Esfandiari and A. P. Kelly, “The effects of tea polyphenolic compounds on hair loss among rodents,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 1165–1169, 2005.
- O. S. Kwon, J. H. Han, H. G. Yoo et al., “Human hair growth enhancement in vitro by green tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG),” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 7-8, pp. 551–555, 2007.
- H. Hong, C. Kim, and S. Maeng, “Effects of pumpkin seed oil and saw palmetto oil in Korean men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 3, pp. 323–327, 2009.
- B.-E. Carbin, B. Larsson, and O. Lindahl, “Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia with phytosterols,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 639–641, 1990.
- O. T. Norwood, “Male pattern baldness: classification and incidence,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 1359–1365, 1975.
- D. Canfield, “Photographic documentation of hair growth in androgenetic alopecia,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 713–721, 1996.
- M. Kawashima, N. Hayashi, A. Igarashi et al., “Finasteride in the treatment of Japanese men with male pattern hair loss,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 247–254, 2004.
- T. Takahashi, T. Kamiya, A. Hasegawa, and Y. Yokoo, “Procyanidin oligomers selectively and intensively promote proliferation of mouse hair epithelial cells in vitro and activate hair follicle growth in vivo,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 310–316, 1999.
- M. R. Al-Sereiti, K. M. Abu-Amer, and P. Sen, “Pharmacology of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis Linn.) and its therapeutic potentials,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 124–130, 1999.
- S. Pandit, N. S. Chauhan, and V. K. Dixit, “Effect of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb on androgen-induced alopecia,” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 199–204, 2008.
- T. Tsuruki, K. Takahata, and M. Yoshikawa, “Anti-alopecia mechanisms of soymetide-4, an immunostimulating peptide derived from soy β-conglycinin,” Peptides, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 707–711, 2005.
- S. H. Kim, K. S. Jeong, S. Y. Ryu, and T. H. Kim, “Panax ginseng prevents apoptosis in hair follicles and accelerates recovery of hair medullary cells in irradiated mice,” In Vivo, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 219–222, 1998.
- K. Datta, A. T. Singh, A. Mukherjee, B. Bhat, B. Ramesh, and A. C. Burman, “Eclipta alba extract with potential for hair growth promoting activity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 450–456, 2009.
- J. I. Yoon, S. M. Al-Reza, and S. C. Kang, “Hair growth promoting effect of Zizyphus jujuba essential oil,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1350–1354, 2010.
- M. E. Sawaya, “Novel agents for the treatment of alopecia,” Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 276–283, 1998.
- A. Rossi, E. Mari, M. Scarno et al., “Comparitive effectiveness of finasteride versus Serenoa repens in male androgenetic alopecia: a two-year study,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 25, pp. 1167–1173, 2011.
- I. Zambo, “Analytical standardization of peponen,” Mediflora, vol. 89, p. 6, 1988.
- M. Gossell-Williams, A. Davis, and N. O'Connor, “Inhibition of testosterone-induced hyperplasia of the prostate of Sprague-Dawley rats by pumpkin seed oil,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 284–286, 2006.