- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 865945, 8 pages
EUS-Guided Vascular Procedures: A Literature Review
1Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Dubrava, Zagreb University School of Medicine, Avenue Gojka Suska 6, 10 040 Zagreb, Croatia
2Rijeka University School of Medicine, Brace Branchetta 20, 51 000 Rijeka, Croatia
Received 22 February 2013; Revised 9 April 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editor: Siyu Sun
Copyright © 2013 Tomislav Bokun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Kaul, D. G. Adler, J. D. Conway et al., “Interventional EUS,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2010.
- F. Weilert and K. F. Binmoeller, “EUS-guided vascular access and therapy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 303–314, 2012.
- M. J. Levy and A. Chak, “EUS 2008 Working Group document: evaluation of EUS-guided vascular therapy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. S37–S42, 2009.
- E. Vazquez-Sequeiros and J. R. F. Olcina, “Endoscopic ultrasound guided vascular access and therapy: a promising indication,” World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 198–202, 2010.
- R. C. K. Wong, “New diagnostic imaging technologies in nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 707–720, 2011.
- R. C. K. Wong, “Endoscopic Doppler US probe for acute peptic ulcer hemorrhage,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 804–812, 2004.
- B. Kohler and J. F. Riemann, “Endoscopic injection therapy of Forrest II and III gastroduodenal ulcers guided by endoscopic Doppler ultrasound,” Endoscopy, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 1993.
- N. Uedo, Y. Takeuchi, R. Ishihara et al., “Endoscopic Doppler US for the prevention of ulcer bleeding after endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer: a preliminary study (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 444–448, 2010.
- D. Jaspersen, “Dieulafoy’s disease controlled by Doppler ultrasound endoscopic treatment,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 857–858, 1993.
- G. Folvik, L. B. Nesje, A. Berstad, and S. Ødegaard, “Endosonography-guided endoscopic band ligation of Dieulafoy's malformation: a case report,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 636–638, 2001.
- D. Jaspersen, C. B. Gaster, T. Koerner, and C. H. Hammar, “Doppler-controlled injection treatment of Dieulafoy's disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 267–269, 1993.
- G. Battaglia, P. Bocus, T. Morbin, and E. Ancona, “Endoscopic Doppler US-guided injection therapy for gastric varices: case report,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 608–611, 2003.
- M. E. van Leerdam, E. M. Vreeburg, E. A. J. Rauws et al., “Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1494–1499, 2003.
- L. E. Targownik and A. Nabalamba, “Trends in management and outcomes of acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: 1993–2003,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1459–1466, 2006.
- A. N. Barkun, M. Bardou, E. J. Kuipers et al., “International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2010.
- M. J. Levy, L. M. Wong Kee Song, M. B. Farnell, S. Misra, M. G. Sarr, and C. J. Gostout, “Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided angiotherapyof refractory gastrointestinal bleeding,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 352–359, 2008.
- B. J. Elmunzer, M. J. Pollack, J. A. Trunzo et al., “Initial evaluation of a novel, prototype, forward-viewing echoendoscope in a porcine arterial bleeding model (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 611–614, 2010.
- J. M. Gonzalez, C. Giacino, M. Pioche et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided vascular therapy: is it safe and effective?” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 539–542, 2012.
- P. Fockens, J. Meenan, H. M. van Dullemen, C. J. M. Bolwerk, and G. N. J. Tytgat, “Dieulafoy's disease: endosonographic detection and endosonography- guided treatment,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 437–442, 1996.
- A. Ribeiro, E. Vazquez-Sequeiros, and M. J. Wiersema, “Doppler EUS-guided treatment of gastric Dieulafoy's lesion,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 807–809, 2001.
- G. Garcia-Tsao and J. Bosch, “Management of varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 9, pp. 778–832, 2010.
- G. Garcia-Tsao, A. J. Sanyal, N. D. Grace, and W. Carey, “Prevention and management of gastroesophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 922–938, 2007.
- S. Irani, K. Kowdley, and R. Kozarek, “Gastric varices: an updated review of management,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 133–148, 2011.
- S. N. Sgouros, K. V. Vasiliadis, and S. P. Pereira, “Systematic review: endoscopic and imaging-based techniques in the assessment of portal haemodynamics and the risk of variceal bleeding,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 965–976, 2009.
- M. El-Saadany, S. Jalil, A. Irisawa, G. Shibukawa, H. Ohira, and M. S. Bhutani, “EUS for portal hypertension: a comprehensive and critical appraisal of clinical and experimental indications,” Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 690–696, 2008.
- J. Bissonnette, S. Paquin, A. Sahai, and G. Pomier-Layrargues, “Usefulness of endoscopic ultrasonography in hepatology,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 621–625, 2011.
- Y. T. Lee, F. K. Chan, E. K. Ng et al., “EUS-guided injection of cyanoacrylate for bleeding gastric varices,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 168–174, 2000.
- S. Lahoti, M. F. Catalano, E. Alcocer, W. J. Hogan, and J. E. Geenen, “Obliteration of esophageal varices using EUS-guided sclerotherapy with color Doppler,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 331–333, 2000.
- R. Romero-Castro, F. J. Pellicer-Bautista, M. Jimenez-Saenz et al., “EUS-guided injection of cyanoacrylate in perforating feeding veins in gastric varices: results in 5 cases,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 402–407, 2007.
- G. Andrade de Paulo, J. C. Ardengh, F. S. Nakao, and A. P. Ferrari, “Treatment of esophageal varices: a randomized controlled trial comparing endoscopic sclerotherapy and EUS-guided sclerotherapy of esophageal collateral veins,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 396–402, 2006.
- K. Kok, R. P. Bond, I. C. Duncan et al., “Distal embolization and local vessel wall ulceration after gastric obliteration with N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate: a case report and review of the literature,” Endoscopy, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 442–446, 2004.
- K. F. Binmoeller, F. Weilert, J. N. Shah, and J. Kim, “EUS-guided transesophageal treatment of gastric fundal varices with combined coiling and cyanoacrylate glue injection (with videos),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 1019–1025, 2011.
- M. J. Levy, L. M. Wong Kee Song, M. L. Kendrick, S. Misra, and C. J. Gostout, “EUS-guided coil embolization for refractory ectopic variceal bleeding (with videos),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 572–574, 2008.
- R. Romero-Castro, F. Pellicer-Bautista, M. Giovannini et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided coil embolization therapy in gastric varices,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, supplement 2, pp. E35–E36, 2010.
- F. Weilert, J. N. Shah, F. P. Marson, and K. F. Binmoeller, “EUS-guided coil and glue for bleeding rectal varix,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 915–916, 2012.
- S. P. Kalva, K. Yeddula, S. Wicky, C. F. del Castillo, and A. L. Warshaw, “Angiographic intervention in patients with a suspected visceral artery pseudoaneurysm complicating pancreatitis and pancreatic surgery,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 647–652, 2011.
- G. T. Fankhauser, W. M. Stone, S. G. Naidu et al., “The minimally invasive management of visceral artery aneurysms and pseudoaneurysms,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 966–970, 2011.
- J. M. Gonzalez, S. Ezzedine, V. Vitton, J. C. Grimaud, and M. Barthet, “Endoscopic ultrasound treatment of vascular complications in acute pancreatitis,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 721–724, 2009.
- K. J. Roberts, R. G. Jones, C. Forde, and R. Marudanayagam, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided treatment of visceral artery pseudoaneurysm,” HPB, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 489–490, 2012.
- H. Roach, S. A. Roberts, R. Salter, I. M. Williams, and A. M. Wood, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided thrombin injection for the treatment of pancreatic pseudoaneurysm,” Endoscopy, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 876–878, 2005.
- D. M. Chaves, F. F. Costa, S. Matuguma et al., “Splenic artery pseudoaneurysm treated with thrombin injection guided by endoscopic ultrasound,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, supplement 2, pp. E99–E100, 2012.
- M. Robinson, D. Richards, and N. Carr, “Treatment of a splenic artery pseudoaneurysm by endoscopic ultrasound-guided thrombin injection,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 515–517, 2007.
- R. Lameris, J. du Plessis, M. Nieuwoudt, A. Scheepers, and S. W. van der Merwe, “A visceral pseudoaneurysm: management by EUS-guided thrombin injection,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 392–395, 2011.
- S. A. Giday, J. O. Clarke, J. M. Buscaglia et al., “EUS-guided portal vein catheterization: a promising novel approach for portal angiography and portal vein pressure measurements,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 338–342, 2008.
- S. A. Giday, C. W. Ko, J. O. Clarke et al., “EUS-guided portal vein carbon dioxide angiography: a pilot study in a porcine model,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 814–819, 2007.
- W. R. Brugge, “EUS is an important new tool for accessing the portal vein,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 343–344, 2008.
- L. Lai, J. Poneros, J. Santilli, and W. Brugge, “EUS-guided portal vein catheterization and pressure measurement in an animal model: a pilot study of feasibility,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 280–283, 2004.
- P. Magno, C. W. Ko, J. M. Buscaglia et al., “EUS-guided angiography: a novel approach to diagnostic and therapeutic interventions in the vascular system,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 587–591, 2007.
- J. R. Saltzman, “EUS-guided angiography: a future indication for EUS?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 592–595, 2007.
- K. Matthes, D. Sahani, N. S. Holalkere, M. Mino-Kenudson, and W. R. Brugge, “Feasibility of endoscopic ultrasound-guided portal vein embolization with enteryx,” Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 412–415, 2005.
- J. M. Buscaglia, X. Dray, E. J. Shin et al., “A new alternative for a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: EUS-guided creation of an intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 941–947, 2009.
- W. R. Brugge and J. van Dam, “Pancreatic and biliary endoscopy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 24, pp. 1808–1816, 1999.
- R. K. Chutkan, A. S. Ahmad, J. Cohen et al., “ERCP core curriculum,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 361–376, 2006.