- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 876918, 7 pages
Prevalence and Associated Metabolic Factors of Gallstone Disease in the Elderly Agricultural and Fishing Population of Taiwan
1New Taipei City Hospital, Taipei 241, Taiwan
2Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
3Department of Healthcare Management, Yuanpei University, Hsinchu 700, Taiwan
4Oriental Institute of Technology, Taipei 220, Taiwan
5Business Place Hygiene Management, Department of Health, Taipei City Government, Taipei 110, Taiwan
6Institute of Health and Welfare Policy, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
7Department of Nursing, Kang-Ning Junior College of Medical Care and Management, Taipei 114, Taiwan
8Cheng Hsin General Hospital, Shih-Pai 112, Taipei, Taiwan
9Faculty of Public Health, School of Medicine, Fu-Jen Catholic University, Taipei 242, Taiwan
10Department of Crime Prevention and Correction, Central Police University, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Received 22 November 2013; Accepted 9 January 2014; Published 23 February 2014
Academic Editor: Eldon A. Shaffer
Copyright © 2014 Hsi-Che Shen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Panpimanmas and C. Manmee, “Risk factors for gallstone disease in a Thai population,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 116–121, 2009.
- L. Y. Chen, Q. H. Qiao, S. C. Zhang, Y. H. Chen, G. Q. Chao, and L. Z. Fang, “Metabolic syndrome and gallstone disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 31, pp. 4215–4220, 2012.
- I. Halldestam, E. Kullman, and K. Borch, “Incidence of and potential risk factors for gallstone disease in a general population sample,” The British Journal of Surgery, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 1315–1322, 2009.
- C. M. Liu, T. H. Tung, P. Chou et al., “Clinical correlation of gallstone disease in a Chinese population in Taiwan: experience at Cheng Hsin General Hospital,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1281–1286, 2006.
- F. Caroli-Bosc, C. Deveau, A. Harris et al., “Prevalence of cholelithiasis: results of an epidemiologic investigation in Vidauban, southeast France,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1322–1329, 1999.
- K. D. Hopper, J. R. Landis, J. W. Meilstrup, M. A. McCauslin, and A. G. Sechtin, “The prevalence of asymptomatic gallstones in the general population,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 939–945, 1991.
- G. Salinas, C. Velásquez, L. Saavedra et al., “Prevalence and risk factors for gallstone disease,” Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy and Percutaneous Techniques, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 250–253, 2004.
- H. Sun, H. Tang, S. Jiang et al., “Gender and metabolic differences of gallstone diseases,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 15, pp. 1886–1891, 2009.
- H. U. Marschall and C. Einarsson, “Gallstone disease,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 261, no. 6, pp. 529–542, 2007.
- J. Y. Chen, S. T. Tsai, C. T. Hsu, J. H. Liu, and T. H. Tung, “Cost-benefit analysis of screening for gallstone disease among Chinese population in Taiwan,” The Open Access Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 1, Article ID 100002, 7 pages, 2013.
- C. M. Kuo, W. H. Chien, H. C. Shen, Y. C. Hu, Y. F. Chen, and T. H. Tung, “Clinical epidemiology of reduced kidney function among male elderly fishing and agricultural population in Taipei, Taiwan,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 214128, 7 pages, 2013.
- K. G. M. M. Alberti, R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy et al., “Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; national heart, lung, and blood institute; American heart association; world heart federation; international atherosclerosis society; and international association for the study of obesity,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 16, pp. 1640–1645, 2009.
- S. Attasaranya, E. L. Fogel, and G. A. Lehman, “Choledocholithiasis, ascending cholangitis, and gallstone pancreatitis,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 925–960, 2008.
- S. S. Kim, J. G. Lee, D. W. Kim et al., “Insulin resistance as a risk factor for gallbladder stone formation in Korean postmenopausal women,” Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 285–293, 2011.
- P. L. Liew, W. J. Lee, W. Wang et al., “Fatty liver disease: predictors of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and gallbladder disease in morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 847–853, 2008.
- D. Festi, A. Dormi, S. Capodicasa et al., “Incidence of gallstone disease in Italy: results from a multicenter, population-based Italian study (the MICOL project),” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 34, pp. 5282–5289, 2008.
- C. Y. Chen, C. L. Lu, P. C. Lee, S. Wang, F. Chang, and S. Lee, “The risk factors for gallstone disease among senior citizens: an oriental study,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 27, pp. 1607–1612, 1999.
- W. Y. Hou, T. H. Tung, H. J. Shen, T. Chang, P. Chou, and J. Liu, “Community-based epidemiologic study on gallstone disease among elderly patients with type 2 diabetes in Kinmen, Taiwan,” International Journal of Gerontology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 38–41, 2012.
- R. Talar-Wojnarowska, G. Szulc, B. Woźniak, M. Pazurek, and E. Małecka-Panas, “Assessment of frequency and safety of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients over 80 years of age,” Polskie Archiwum Medycyny Wewnetrznej, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 136–140, 2009.
- S. Mottillo, K. B. Filion, J. Genest et al., “The metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 14, pp. 1113–1132, 2010.
- C. M. Liu, T. H. Tung, J. H. Liu, W. Lee, and P. Chou, “A community-based epidemiologic study on gallstone disease among type 2 diabetics in Kinmen, Taiwan,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 87–91, 2004.
- C. M. Liu, T. H. Tung, J. H. Liu et al., “Serum insulin, insulin resistance, β-cell dysfunction, and gallstone disease among type 2 diabetics in Chinese population: a community-based study in Kinmen, Taiwan,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 45, pp. 7159–7164, 2005.
- S. S. Mahid, N. S. Jafri, B. C. Brangers, K. S. Minor, C. A. Hornung, and S. Galandiuk, “Meta-analysis of cholecystectomy in symptomatic patients with positive hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan results without gallstones,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 180–187, 2009.