Clinical Study | Open Access
Jiyeon Jeon, Marcia Victor, Stuart P. Adler, Abigail Arwady, Gail Demmler, Karen Fowler, Johanna Goldfarb, Harry Keyserling, Mehran Massoudi, Kristin Richards, Stephanie A. S. Staras, Michael J. Cannon, "Knowledge and Awareness of Congenital Cytomegalovirus Among Women", Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2006, Article ID 080383, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IDOG/2006/80383
Knowledge and Awareness of Congenital Cytomegalovirus Among Women
Background. Congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection is a leading cause of disabilities in children, yet the general public appears to have little awareness of CMV. Methods. Women were surveyed about newborn infections at 7 different geographic locations. Results. Of the 643 women surveyed, 142 () had heard of congenital CMV. Awareness increased with increasing levels of education (). Women who had worked as a healthcare professional had a higher prevalence of awareness of CMV than had other women ( versus , ). Women who were aware of CMV were most likely to have heard about it from a healthcare provider (), but most could not correctly identify modes of CMV transmission or prevention. Among common causes of birth defects and childhood illnesses, women's awareness of CMV ranked last. Conclusion. Despite its large public health burden, few women had heard of congenital CMV, and even fewer were aware of prevention strategies.
- M A Gaytant, E AP Steegers, B A Semmekrot, H MMW Merkus, and J MD Galama, “Congenital cytomegalovirus infection: review of the epidemiology and outcome,” Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 245–256, 2002.
- J G Dobbins, J A Stewart, and G Demmler, “Surveillance of congenital cytomegalovirus disease, 1990-1991. Collaborating Registry Group,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. CDC Surveillance Summaries, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 35–39, 1992.
- S B Boppana, K Fowler, W J Britt, S Stagno, and R F Pass, “Symptomatic congenital cytomegalovirus infection in infants born to mothers with preexisting immunity to cytomegalovirus,” Pediatrics, vol. 104, no. 1, part 1, pp. 55–60, 1999.
- K Fowler, S Stagno, R F Pass, W J Britt, T J Boll, and C A Alford, “The outcome of congenital cytomegalovirus infection in relation to maternal antibody status,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 10, pp. 663–667, 1992.
- G Demmler, “Infectious Diseases Society of America and Centers for Disease Control: summary of a workshop on surveillance for congenital cytomegalovirus disease,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 315–329, 1991.
- S Stagno and R J Whitley, “Herpesvirus infections of pregnancy. Part II. Herpes simplex virus and varicella-zoster virus infections,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 313, no. 21, pp. 1327–1330, 1985.
- M J Cannon and K F Davis, “Washing our hands of the congenital cytomegalovirus disease epidemic,” BMC Public Health, vol. 5, p. 70, 2005.
- S Stagno, R F Pass, G Cloud et al., “Primary cytomegalovirus infection in pregnancy. Incidence, transmission to fetus, and clinical outcome,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 256, no. 14, pp. 1904–1908, 1986.
- S P Adler, J W Finney, A M Manganello, and A LM Best, “Prevention of child-to-mother transmission of cytomegalovirus by changing behaviors: a randomized controlled trial,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 240–246, 1996.
- “ACOG practice bulletin. Perinatal viral and parasitic infections. Number 20, September 2000. (Replaces educational bulletin number 177, February 1993). American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists,” International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 95–107, 2002.
- R F Pass, A M August, M Dworsky, and D W Reynolds, “Cytomegalovirus infection in a day-care center,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 307, no. 8, pp. 477–479, 1982.
- R F Pass, C Hutto, R Ricks, and G A Cloud, “Increased rate of cytomegalovirus infection among parents of children attending day-care centers,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 314, no. 22, pp. 1414–1418, 1986.
- G Chang, L Wilkins-Haug, S Berman, and M A Goetz, “Brief intervention for alcohol use in pregnancy: a randomized trial,” Addiction, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 1499–1508, 1999.
- A O Carter, S B Gelmon, G A Wells, and A P Toepell, “The effectiveness of a prenatal education programme for the prevention of congenital toxoplasmosis,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 539–545, 1989.
- Z S Pawlowski, M Gromadecka-Sutkiewicz, J Skommer et al., “Impact of health education on knowledge and prevention behavior for congenital toxoplasmosis: the experience in Poznan, Poland,” Health Education Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 493–502, 2001.
- G Chang, M A Goetz, L Wilkins-Haug, and S Berman, “A brief intervention for prenatal alcohol use. An in-depth look,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 365–369, 2000.
- J R Hankin, “Fetal alcohol syndrome prevention research,” Alcohol Research and Health, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2002.
- “Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate - United States, 1995-1996 and 1999-2000,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 53, no. 17, pp. 362–365, 2004.
- S P Adler, J W Finney, A M Manganello, and A M Best, “Prevention of child-to-mother transmission of cytomegalovirus among pregnant women,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 145, no. 4, pp. 485–491, 2004.
- M G Revello and G Gerna, “Diagnosis and management of human cytomegalovirus infection in the mother, fetus, and newborn infant,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 680–715, 2002.
- D B Jr Bailey, “Newborn Screening for Fragile X Syndrome,” Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 2004.
- G T Maine, T Lazzarotto, and M-P Landini, “New developments in the diagnosis of maternal and congenital CMV infection,” Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2001.
- G Nigro, S P Adler, and R La Torre, “Passive immunization during pregnancy for congenital cytomegalovirus infection,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 13, pp. 1350–1362, 2005.
- A M Arvin, P Fast, M Myers, S Plotkin, R Rabinovich, and National Vaccine Advisory Committee, “Vaccine development to prevent cytomegalovirus disease: report from the National Vaccine Advisory Committee,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 233–239, 2004.
Copyright © 2006 Jiyeon Jeon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.