- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 893953, 8 pages
Resistance of Echinochloa crus-galli Populations to Acetolactate Synthase-Inhibiting Herbicides
1Department of Crop, Soil, and Environmental Sciences, University of Arkansas, 1366 West Altheimer Drive, Fayetteville, AR 72704, USA
2Delta Research and Extension Center, Mississippi State University, Stoneville, MS 38776, USA
3Department of Crop, Soil, and Environmental Sciences-Cooperative Extension Service, University of Arkansas, Lonoke, AR 72086, USA
Received 3 August 2012; Revised 2 October 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yong In Kuk
Copyright © 2012 Dilpreet S. Riar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. G. Holm, D. L. Plunknett, J. V. Pancho, and J. P. Herberger, Eds., The World's Worst Weeds, Distribution and Biology, Kreger Publishing, Malabar, Fla, USA, 1991.
- I. Heap, The international survey of herbicide resistant weeds, 2012, http://www.weedscience.com/.
- J. K. Norsworthy, N. R. Burgos, R. C. Scott, and K. L. Smith, “Consultant perspectives on weed management needs in Arkansas rice,” Weed Technology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 832–839, 2007.
- J. K. Norsworthy, R. C. Scott, K. L. Smith, and J. A. Bond, “Survey of weed management practices and needs in Arkansas and Mississippi rice,” in Proceedings of the 34th Rice Technical Working Group Meeting, 2012.
- [ASPB] Arkansas State Plant Board, “Regulations on plant diseases and pests,” 2012, http://plantboard.arkansas.gov/PlantIndustry/Documents/Circular%2011.pdf.
- L. G. Stauber, R. J. Smith Jr., and R. E. Talbert, “Density and spatial interference of barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli) with rice (Oryza sativa),” Weed Science, vol. 39, pp. 163–168, 1991.
- A. M. Baltazar and R. J. Smith Jr., “Propanil-resistant barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli) control in rice (Oryza sativa),” Weed Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 576–581, 1994.
- M. L. Lovelace, Implications of quinclorac use in Arkansas: impacts of quinclorac drift on tomato physiology and development of quinclorac resistance in barnyardgrass [Ph.D. thesis], University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, NC, USA, 2003.
- J. K. Norsworthy, R. Scott, K. Smith, J. Still, L. E. Estorninos Jr., and S. Bangarwa, “Confirmation and management of clomazone-resistant barnyardgrass in rice,” in Proceedings of the 62nd Southern Weed Science Society Meeting, Orlando, Fla, USA, USA, 2009, abstract 210.
- J. A. Bond, V. K. Nandula, R. C. Bond, and T. W. Eubank, “Differences in herbicide response among barnyardgrass populations from Mississippi,” in Proceedings of the 51st Weed Science Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland, Ore, USA, 2011.
- R. E. Talbert and N. R. Burgos, “History and management of herbicide-resistant barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli) in Arkansas rice,” Weed Technology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 324–331, 2007.
- M. J. Wilson, J. K. Norsworthy, D. B. Johnson et al., “Use of imazosulfuron in Arkansas Rice,” in B. R. Wells Rice Research Studies 2009, vol. 581 of Research Series, pp. 153–157, Arkansas Agriculture Experiment Station, 2010.
- P. J. Tranel and T. R. Wright, “Resistance of weeds to ALS-inhibiting herbicides: what have we learned?” Weed Science, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 700–712, 2002.
- J. T. Christopher, C. Preston, and S. B. Powles, “Malathion antagonizes metabolism-based chlorsulfuron resistance in Lolium rigidum,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 172–182, 1994.
- K. Kreuz and R. Fonné-Pfister, “Herbicide-insecticide interaction in maize: malathion inhibits cytochrome P450-dependent primisulfuron metabolism,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 232–240, 1992.
- A. Letouzé and J. Gasquez, “Enhanced activity of several herbicide-degrading enzymes: a suggested mechanism responsible for multiple resistance in blackgrass (Alopecurus myosuroides Huds.),” Agronomie, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 601–608, 2003.
- D. S. Northcroft, J. O. D. Coleman, and S. R. Moss, “Resistance to ACCase-inhibiting herbicides and isoproturon in UK populations of Lolium multiflorum: mechanisms of resistance and implications for control,” Pest Management Science, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 587–597, 2001.
- H. Yasuor, M. D. Osuna, A. Ortiz, N. E. Saldaín, J. W. Eckert, and A. J. Fischer, “Mechanism of resistance to penoxsulam in late watergrass [Echinochloa phyllopogon (stapf) koss.],” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 3653–3660, 2009.
- S. Singh, R. C. Kirkwood, and G. Marshall, “Effect of ABT on the activity and rate of degradation of isoproturon in susceptible and resistant biotypes of phalaris minor and in wheat,” Pesticide Science, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 123–132, 1998.
- L. J. Veldhuis, L. M. Hall, J. T. O'Donovan, W. Dyer, and J. C. Hall, “Metabolism-based resistance of a wild mustard (Sinapis arvensis L.) biotype to ethametsulfuron-methyl,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2986–2990, 2000.
- A. J. Fischer, C. M. Ateh, D. E. Bayer, and J. E. Hill, “Herbicide-resistant Echinochloa oryzoides and E. phyllopogon in California Oryza sativa fields,” Weed Science, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 225–230, 2000.
- G. Pignata, L. Scarabel, and M. Sattin, “New highly resistant grasses in specific summer cropping systems and the value of sustainable weed management,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Weed Science Conference, p. 47, Vancouver, Canada, 2008.
- M. D. Osuna, F. Vidotto, A. J. Fischer, D. E. Bayer, R. de Prado, and A. Ferrero, “Cross-resistance to bispyribac-sodium and bensulfuron-methyl in Echinochloa phyllopogon and Cyperus difformis,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2002.
- S. Iwakami, A. Uchino, H. Watanabe, Y. Yamasue, and T. Inamura, “Isolation and expression of genes for acetolactate synthase and acetyl-CoA carboxylase in Echinochloa phyllopogon, a polyploid weed species,” Pest Management Science, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 1098–1106, 2012.
- S. B. Powles and Q. Yu, “Evolution in action: plants resistant to herbicides,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 61, pp. 317–347, 2010.
- M. A. Schuler, “Plant cytochrome P450 monooxygenases,” Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 235–284, 1996.
- B. Siminszky, “Plant cytochrome P450-mediated herbicide metabolism,” Phytochemistry Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp. 445–458, 2006.
- C. Preston, F. J. Tardif, J. T. Christopher, and S. B. Powles, “Multiple resistance to dissimilar herbicide chemistries in a biotype of Lolium rigidum due to enhanced activity of several herbicide degrading enzymes,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 123–134, 1996.
- M. S. Yun, Y. Yogo, R. Miura, Y. Yamasue, and A. J. Fischer, “Cytochrome P-450 monooxygenase activity in herbicide-resistant and -susceptible late watergrass (Echinochloa phyllopogon),” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 83, no. 2-3, pp. 107–114, 2005.
- J. S. Yuan, P. J. Tranel, and C. N. Stewart, “Non-target-site herbicide resistance: a family business,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2007.
- C. Délye, J. A. C. Gardin, K. Boucansaud, B. Chauvel, and C. Petit, “Non-target-site-based resistance should be the centre of attention for herbicide resistance research: Alopecurus myosuroides as an illustration,” Weed Research, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 433–437, 2011.
- R. Busi, M. M. Vila-Aiub, and S. B. Powles, “Genetic control of a cytochrome P450 metabolism-based herbicide resistance mechanism in Lolium rigidum,” Heredity, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 817–824, 2011.
- J. K. Norsworthy, D. B. Johnson, R. C. Scott, and J. Bond, “Resistance to rice herbicides in the Southern U.S.: a need for new modes of action,” in Proceedings 34th Rice Technical Working Group Meeting, 2012.