- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 972316, 6 pages
Comparison of Two Inoculation Methods for Evaluating Maize for Resistance to Aspergillus flavus Infection and Aflatoxin Accumulation
1USDA-ARS Corn Host Plant Resistance Research Unit, P.O. Box 9555, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
2Plant and Soil Sciences Department, Mississippi State University, P.O. Box 9555, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 20 October 2013; Accepted 20 October 2013
Academic Editor: Robert J. Kremer
Copyright © 2013 W. Paul Williams et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Castegnaro and D. McGregor, “Carcinogenic risk assessment of mycotoxins,” Revue de Medecine Veterinaire, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 671–678, 1998.
- D. L. Park and B. Liang, “Perspectives on aflatoxin control for human food and animal feed,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 334–342, 1993.
- A. Pittet, “Natural occurrence of mycotoxins in foods and feeds—an updated review,” Revue de Medecine Veterinaire, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 479–492, 1998.
- C. P. Wild and A. J. Hall, “Primary prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma in developing countries,” Mutation Research, vol. 462, no. 2-3, pp. 381–393, 2000.
- M. C. Lancaster, F. P. Jenkins, and J. M. Philp, “Toxicity associated with certain samples of groundnuts,” Nature, vol. 192, no. 4807, pp. 1095–1096, 1961.
- B. F. Nesbitt, K. Sargeant, and A. Sheridan, “Isolation in crystalline form of a toxin responsible for Turkey X disease,” Nature, vol. 195, pp. 1060–1063, 1962.
- P. C. Spensley, “Aflatoxin the sctive principle in Turkey ‘X’ disease,” Endeavor, vol. 22, no. 86, pp. 75–79, 1963.
- H. Gourama and L. B. Bullerman, “Detection of molds in foods and feeds: potential rapid and selective methods,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1389–1394, 1995.
- M. C. K. Leung, G. Díaz-Llano, and T. K. Smith, “Mycotoxins in pet food: a review on worldwide prevalence and preventative strategies,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 26, pp. 9623–9635, 2006.
- F. M. Bokhari, “Implications of fungal infections and mycotoxins in camel diseases in Saudi Arabia,” Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 73–81, 2010.
- W. W. McMillian, D. M. Wilson, and N. W. Widstrom, “Insect damage, Aspergillus flavus ear mold, and aflatoxin contamination in South Georgia corn fields in 1977,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 564–566, 1978.
- M. S. Zuber, O. H. Calvert, E. B. Lillehoi, and W. F. Kwolek, “Status of the aflatoxin problem in corn,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 1979.
- G. L. Windham and W. P. Williams, “Aflatoxin accumulation in commercial corn hybrids in 1998,” Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station Research Report, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1–4, 1999.
- G. L. Windham and W. P. Williams, “Evaluation of corn inbreds and advanced breeding lines for resistance to aflatoxin contamination in the field,” Plant Disease, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 232–234, 2002.
- J. Robens and K. F. Cardwell, “The costs of mycotoxin management in the United States,” in Aflatoxin and Food Safety, H. K. Abbas, Ed., pp. 1–12, Taylor and Francis Group, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- E. B. Lillehoj, A. Lagoda, and W. F. Maisch, “The fate of aflatoxin in naturally contaminated corn during the ethanol fermentation,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 911–914, 1979.
- G. S. Murthy, D. E. Townsend, G. L. Meerdink, G. L. Bargren, M. E. Tumbleson, and V. Singh, “Effect of aflatoxin B1 on dry-grind ethanol process,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 302–304, 2005.
- N. W. Widstrom, M. J. Forster, W. K. Martin, and D. M. Wilson, “Agronomic performance in the southeastern United States of maize hybrids containing tropical germplasm,” Maydica, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 1996.
- C. A. Daves, G. L. Windham, and W. P. Williams, “Aflatoxin accumulation in commercial corn hybrids artificially inoculated with Aspergillus flavus in 2008 and 2009,” Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station Research Report, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- G. L. Windham, W. P. Williams, P. M. Buckley, H. K. Abbas, and L. K. Hawkins, “Techniques used to identify aflatoxin-resistant corn,” in Aflatoxin and Food Safety, H. K. Abbas, Ed., pp. 407–421, Taylor and Francis Group, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- N. W. Widstrom, D. M. Wilson, and W. W. McMillian, “Aflatoxin contamination of preharvest corn as influenced by timing and method of inoculation,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 249–251, 1981.
- S. B. King and G. E. Scott, “Field inoculation techniques to evaluate maize for reaction to kernel infection by Aspergillus flavus,” Phytopathology, vol. 72, pp. 782–785, 1982.
- S. B. King and G. E. Scott, Methods for Screening Corn for Resistance to Kernel Infection and Aflatoxin Production by Aspergillus flavus, vol. 279 of Southern Cooperative Series Bulletin, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn, Ala, USA, 1983.
- D. H. Tucker Jr., L. E. Trevathan, S. B. King, and G. E. Scott, “Effect of four inoculation techniques on infection and aflatoxin concentration of resistant and susceptible corn hybrids inoculated with Aspergillus flavus,” Phytopathology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 290–293, 1986.
- N. Zummo and G. E. Scott, “Evaluation of field inoculation techniques for screening maize genotypes against kernel infection by Aspergillus flavus in Mississippi,” Plant Disease, vol. 73, pp. 313–316, 1989.
- K. W. Campbell and D. G. White, “An inoculation device to evaluate maize for resistance to ear rot and aflatoxin production by Aspergillus flavus,” Plant Disease, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 778–781, 1994.
- P. M. Buckley, W. P. Williams, and G. L. Windham, “Comparison of two inoculation methods for evaluating corn for resistance to aflatoxin contamination,” Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station Research Bulletin, vol. 1148, 2006.
- G. L. Windham, W. P. Williams, L. K. Hawkins, and T. D. Brooks, “Effect of Aspergillus flavus inoculation methods and environmental conditions on aflatoxin accumulation in corn hybrids,” Toxin Reviews, vol. 28, no. 2-3, pp. 70–78, 2009.
- O. M. Olanya, G. M. Hoyos, L. H. Tiffany, and D. C. McGee, “Waste corn as a point source of inoculum for Aspergillus flavus in the corn agroecosystem,” Plant Disease, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 576–581, 1997.
- G. E. Scott and N. Zummo, “Registration of Mp313E germplasm line of maize,” Crop Science, vol. 30, p. 1378, 1990.
- W. P. Williams and G. L. Windham, “Registration of dent corn germplasm line Mp715,” Crop Science, vol. 41, pp. 1374–1375, 2001.
- W. P. Williams and G. L. Windham, “Registration of maize germplasm line Mp717,” Crop Science, vol. 46, pp. 1407–1408, 2006.
- W. P. Williams, “Breeding for resistance to aflatoxin accumulation in maize,” Mycotoxin Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2006.
- W. P. Williams, G. L. Windham, and P. M. Buckley, “Diallel analysis of aflatoxin accumulation in maize,” Crop Science, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 134–138, 2008.
- A. R. Menkir, R. L. Brown, R. Bandyopadhyay, and T. E. Cleveland, “Registration of six tropical maize germplasm lines with resistance to aflatoxin contamination,” Journal of Plant Registrations, vol. 2, pp. 246–250, 2010.
- C. H. Bock and P. J. Cotty, “Wheat seed colonized with atoxigenic Aspergillus flavus: characterization and production of a biopesticide for aflatoxin control,” Biocontrol Science and Technology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 529–543, 1999.
- B. R. Wiseman, F. M. Davis, and J. E. Campbell, “Mechanical infestation device used in fall armyworm plant resistance programs,” Florida Entomologist, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 425–432, 1980.
- S. X. Mideros, G. L. Windham, W. P. Williams, and R. J. Nelson, “Aspergillus flavus biomass in maize estimated by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction is strongly correlated with aflatoxin concentration,” Plant Disease, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 1163–1170, 2009.
- W. P. Williams, S. Ozkan, A. Ankala, and G. L. Windham, “Ear rot, aflatoxin accumulation, and fungal biomass in maize after inoculation with Aspergillus flavus,” Field Crops Research, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 196–200, 2011.
- SAS Institute, SAS Users Guide, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2010.
- R. D. G. Steel and J. H. Torrie, Principles and Procedures of Statistics, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1980.