- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 768406, 10 pages
Determination of β-Galactooligosaccharides by Liquid Chromatography
1Nestlé Research Centre, 1000 Lausanne, Switzerland
2Novartis Consumer Health S.A., 1260 Nyon, Switzerland
3Nestlé Waters Supply Est-Vosges, Contrex Factory, 306 rue de Lorraine, 88140 Contrexeville, France
Received 27 September 2013; Accepted 22 January 2014; Published 26 February 2014
Academic Editor: Frantisek Foret
Copyright © 2014 Sean Austin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Urashima, S. Asakuma, and M. Kitaoka M, “Messer Indiginous oligosaccharides in milk,” in Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences, J. W. Fuquay, P. F. Fox, and P. L. H. McSweeney, Eds., pp. 241–273, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2011.
- A. S. Donald and J. Feeney, “Separation of human milk oligosaccharides by recycling chromatography. First isolation of lacto-N-neo-difucohexaose II and 3′-galactosyllactose from this source,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 79–91, 1988.
- T. Saito, T. Itoh, and S. Adachi, “Chemical structure of three neutral trisaccharides isolated in free form from bovine colostrum,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 1987.
- J. G. Collins, J. H. Bradbury, E. Trifonoff, and M. Messer, “Structures of four new oligosaccharides from marsupial milk, determined mainly by 13C-n.m.r. spectroscopy,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 136–140, 1981.
- P. F. Ekhart and E. Timmermans, “Techniques for the production of transgalactosylated oligosaccharides (TOS),” Bulletin of the International Dairy Federation, vol. 313, pp. 59–64, 1996.
- R. R. Mahoney, “Galactosyl-oligosaccharide formation during lactose hydrolysis: a review,” Food Chemistry, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 147–154, 1998.
- A. Gosling, G. W. Stevens, A. R. Barber, S. E. Kentish, and S. L. Gras, “Recent advances refining galactooligosaccharide production from lactose,” Food Chemistry, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 307–318, 2010.
- B. S. Prakash, K. Suyama, T. Itoh, and S. Adachi, “Structure elucidation of major galacto oligosaccharides formed by growing culture of Trichoderma harzianum,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 334–337, 1989.
- V. Dumortier, J. Montreuil, and S. Bouquelet, “Primary structure of ten galactosides formed by transglycosylation during lactose hydrolysis by Bifidobacterium bifidum,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 115–123, 1990.
- L. Coulier, J. Timmermans, B. Richard et al., “In-depth characterization of prebiotic galactooligosaccharides by a combination of analytical techniques,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 18, pp. 8488–8495, 2009.
- O. Hernández-Hernández, I. Calvillo, R. Lebrón-Aguilar, F. J. Moreno, and M. L. Sanz, “Hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry for the characterization of prebiotic galactooligosaccharides,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1220, pp. 57–67, 2012.
- G. R. Gibson, B. Rabiu, C. E. Rycroft, and R. A. Rastall, “Trans-Galactooligosaccharides as Prebiotics,” in Handbook of Functional Dairy Products, C. Shortt and J. O'Brien, Eds., pp. 91–108, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- L. M. G. Davis, I. Martínez, J. Walter, and R. Hutkins, “A dose dependent impact of prebiotic galactooligosaccharides on the intestinal microbiota of healthy adults,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2010.
- L. M. G. Davis, I. Martínez, J. Walter, C. Goin, and R. W. Hutkins, “Barcoded pyrosequencing reveals that consumption of galactooligosaccharides results in a highly specific bifidogenic response in humans,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e25200, 2011.
- X. M. Ben, X. Y. Zhou, W. H. Zhao et al., “Supplementation of milk formula with galacto-oligosaccharides improves intestinal micro-flora and fermentation interm infants,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 927–931, 2004.
- M. Ito, Y. Deguchi, K. Matsumoto, M. Kimura, N. Onodera, and T. Yajima, “Influence of galactooligosaccharides on the human fecal microflora,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 635–640, 1993.
- M. Ito, Y. Deguchi, A. Miyamori et al., “Effects of administration of galactooligosaccharides on the human faecal microflora, stool weight and abdominal sensation,” Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease, vol. 3, pp. 285–292, 1990.
- Y. Bouhnik, B. Flourié, L. D'Agay-Abensour et al., “Administration of transgalacto-oligosaccharides increases fecal bifidobacteria and modifies colonic fermentation metabolism in healthy humans,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 444–448, 1997.
- A. Surakka, K. Kajander, M. Rajilić-Stojanović et al., “Yoghurt containing galactooligosaccharides facilitates defecation among elderly subjects and selectively increases the number of Bifidobacteria,” International Journal of Probiotics and Prebiotics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2009.
- M. S. Alles, R. Hartemink, S. Meyboom et al., “Effect of transgalactooligosaccharides on the composition of the human intestinal microflora and on putative risk markers for colon cancer,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 980–991, 1999.
- L. E. J. Searle, W. A. Cooley, G. Jones et al., “Purified galactooligosaccharide, derived from a mixture produced by the enzymic activity of Bifidobacterium bifidum, reduces Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium adhesion and invasion in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1428–1439, 2010.
- H. R. Sinclair, J. de Slegte, G. R. Gibson, and R. A. Rastall, “Galactooligosaccharides (GOS) inhibit vibrio cholerae toxin binding to its GM1 receptor,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 3113–3119, 2009.
- M. Quintero, M. Maldonado, M. Perez-Munoz et al., “Adherence inhibition of cronobacter sakazakii to intestinal epithelial cells by prebiotic oligosaccharides,” Current Microbiology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1448–1454, 2011.
- J. M. Jones, “Dietary fiber future directions: integrating new definitions and findings to inform nutrition research and communication.,” Advances in Nutrition, vol. 4, pp. 8–15, 2013.
- J. de Slegte, “Determination of trans-galactooligosaccharides in selected food products by ion-exchange chromatography: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 417–423, 2002.
- T. Sako, K. Matsumoto, and R. Tanaka, “Recent progress on research and applications of non-digestible galacto-oligosaccharides,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 69–80, 1999.
- V. Sangwan, S. K. Tomar, R. R. B. Singh, A. K. Singh, and B. Ali, “Galactooligosaccharides: novel components of designer foods,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. R103–R111, 2011.
- B. P. Lamsal, “Production, health aspects and potential food uses of dairy prebiotic galactooligosaccharides,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 92, pp. 2020–2028, 2012.
- “AOAC official method 2001. 02 trans-Galactooligosaccharides (TGOS),” in Selected Food Products, AOAC International, Gaithersburg, Md, USA, 2005.
- S. Albrecht, H. A. Schols, B. Klarenbeek, A. G. J. Voragen, and H. Gruppen, “Introducing capillary electrophoresis with laser-induced fluorescence (CE-LIF) as a potential analysis and quantification tool for galactooligosaccharides extracted from complex food matrices,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 2787–2794, 2010.
- J. C. Bigge, T. P. Patel, J. A. Bruce, P. N. Goulding, S. M. Charles, and R. B. Parekh, “Nonselective and efficient fluorescent labeling of glycans using 2-amino benzamide and anthranilic acid,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 230, no. 2, pp. 229–238, 1995.
- T. Bénet and S. Austin, “On-line cleanup for 2-aminobenzamide-labeled oligosaccharides,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 414, no. 1, pp. 166–168, 2011.
- V. J. Barwick and S. L. R. Ellison, “The evaluation of measurement uncertainty from method validation studies. Part 1. Description of a laboratory protocol,” Accreditation and Quality Assurance, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 47–53, 2000.