Erwei Bai, Chenglin Wang, Ying Liu, Ge Wang, "Controlled Cardiac Computed Tomography", International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2006, Article ID 012819, 11 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJBI/2006/12819
Controlled Cardiac Computed Tomography
Cardiac computed tomography (CT) has been a hot topic for years because of the clinical importance of cardiac diseases and the rapid evolution of CT systems. In this paper, we propose a novel strategy for controlled cardiac CT that may effectively reduce image artifacts due to cardiac and respiratory motions. Our approach is radically different from existing ones and is based on controlling the X-ray source rotation velocity and powering status in reference to the cardiac motion. We theoretically show that by such a control-based intervention the data acquisition process can be optimized for cardiac CT in the cases of periodic and quasiperiodic cardiac motions. Specifically, we formulate the corresponding coordination/control schemes for either exact or approximate matches between the ideal and actual source positions, and report representative simulation results that support our analytic findings.
- D. P. Boyd and M. J. Lipton, “Cardiac computed tomography,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 71, pp. 198–307, 1983.
- Y. Liu, H. Liu, Y. Wang et al., “Half-scan cone-beam CT fluoroscopy with multiple x-ray sources,” Medical Physics, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1466–1471, 2002.
- E. Mousseaux, A. Hernigou, M. Auguste et al., “Dynamic cardiovascular studies with electron beam computed tomography,” Journal de Radiologie, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 669–674, 1994.
- B. H. Thompson and W. Stanford, “Electron beam computed tomographic imaging of aortic aneurysms and dissections,” The Journal of Invasive Cardiology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 213–227, 1994.
- C. R. Becker, A. Majeed et al., “CT measurement of coronary calcium mass: impact on global cardiac risk assessment,” European Radiology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 96–101, 2005.
- J. J. Carr, J. C. Nelson, N. D. Wang et al., “Calcified coronary artery plaque measurement with cardiac CT in population-based studies: standardized protocol of Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) and Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study,” Radiology, vol. 234, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2005.
- P. G. O'Malley, B. A. Greenberg, and A. J. Taylor, “Cost-effectiveness of using electron beam computed tomography to identify patients at risk for clinical coronary artery disease,” American Heart Journal, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 106–113, 2004.
- K. Pohle, M. Otte, R. Mäffert et al., “Association of cardiovascular risk factors to aortic valve calcification as quantified by electron beam computed tomography,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1242–1246, 2004.
- A. Schmermund, S. Möhlenkamp, S. Berenbein et al., “Population-based assessment of subclinical coronary atherosclerosis using electron-beam computed tomography,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2006.
- S. Ulzheimer and W. A. Kalender, “Assessment of calcium scoring performance in cardiac computed tomography,” European Radiology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 484–497, 2003.
- A. T. Jones, D. M. Hansell, and T. W. Evans, “Quantifying pulmonary perfusion in primary pulmonary hypertension using electron-beam computed tomography,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 202–207, 2004.
- C. C. Morehouse, W. R. Brody, D. F. Guthaner et al., “Gated cardiac computed tomography with a motion phantom,” Radiology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 213–217, 1980.
- S. C. Moore, P. F. Judy, J. D. Garnic et al., “Prospectively gated cardiac computed tomography,” Medical Physics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 846–855, 1983.
- J. Horiguchi, T. Nakanishi, K. Ito et al., “Initial experience of cardiac multidetector-row CT using a multisector reconstruction algorithm: studies of normal volunteers,” Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 705–706, 2000.
- W. R. Janowitz, “Current status of mechanical computed tomography in cardiac imaging,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 88, no. 2A, pp. 35E–38E, 2001.
- A. F. Kopp, B. Ohnesorge, T. Flohr et al., “Cardiac multidetector-row CT: first clinical results of retrospectively ECG-gated spiral with optimized temporal and spatial resolution,” RoFo Fortschritte auf dem Gebiet der Rontgenstrahlen und der Bildgebenden Verfahren, vol. 172, no. 5, pp. 429–435, 2000.
- M. Kachelriess, S. Ulzheimer, and W. A. Kalender, “ECG-correlated imaging of the heart with subsecond multislice spiral CT,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 888–901, 2000.
- M. Kachelriess, D. A. Sennst, W. Maxlmoser et al., “Kymogram detection and kymogram-correlated image reconstruction from subsecond spiral computed tomography scans of the heart,” Medical Physics, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1489–1503, 2002.
- B. Ohnesorge, T. Flohr, C. Becker et al., “Cardiac imaging by means of electrocardio-graphically gated multisection spiral CT: initial experience,” Radiology, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 564–571, 2000.
- K. Taguchi and H. Anno, “High temporal resolution for multislice helical computed tomography,” Medical Physics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 861–872, 2000.
- G. Wang, S. Zhao, and D. Heuscher, “A knowledge-based cone-beam x-ray CT algorithm for dynamic volumetric cardiac imaging,” Medical Physics, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1807–1822, 2002.
- K. Marten, M. Funke, M. Rummeny et al., “Electrocardiographic assistance in multidetector CT of thoracic disorders,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 8–21, 2005.
- C. R. Crawford, K. F. King, C. J. Ritchie, and J. D. Godwin, “Respiratory compensation in projection imaging using a magnification and displacement model,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 327–332, 1996.
- N. Aggarwal, S. Bandyopadhyay, and Y. Bresler, “Spatio-temporal modeling and adaptive acquisition for cardiac MRI,” in Proccedings of IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano (ISBI '04), vol. 1, pp. 628–631, Arlington, Va, USA, April 2004.
- C. Ritchie, C. Crawford, J. Godwin, K. King, and Y. Kim, “Correction of computed tomography motion artifacts using pixel-specific back projection,” IEEE Transaction on Medical Imaging, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 333–342, 1996.
- M. W. Vannier and G. Wang, “Spiral CT refines imaging of temporal bone disorders,” Diagnostic imaging, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 116–121, 1993.
- G. Wang, Y. Liu, Y. Ye et al., “Top-level design and preliminary physical analysis for the first electron-beam micro-CT scanner,” Journal of X-Ray Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 251–260, 2004.
- G. Wang and M. W. Vannier, “Micro-CT scanners for biomedical applications: an overview,” Advanced Imaging, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 18–27, 2001.
- C. Badea, L. W. Hedlund, and G. A. Johnson, “Micro-CT with respiratory and cardiac gating,” Medical Physics, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 3324–3329, 2004.
- A. Katsevich, “Theoretically exact filtered backprojection-type inversion algorithm for spiral CT,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 2012–2026, 2002.
- A. Katsevich, “An improved exact filtered backprojection algorithm for spiral computed tomography,” Advances in Applied Mathematics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 681–697, 2004.
- X. Tang and J. Hsieh, “A filtered backprojection algorithm for cone beam reconstruction using rotational filtering under helical source trajectory,” Medical Physics, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2949–2960, 2004.
- X. Tang, J. Hsieh, A. Hagiwara et al., “A three-dimensional weighted cone beam filtered backprojection (CB-FBP) algorithm for image reconstruction in volumetric CT under a circular source trajectory,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 16, pp. 3889–3905, 2005.
- G. Wang, T. H. Lin, P.-C. Cheng et al., “General cone-beam reconstruction algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 486–496, 1993.
Copyright © 2006 Erwei Bai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.