Z. G. Wang, Y. Liu, L. Z. Sun, G. Wang, L. L. Fajardo, "Elasto-mammography: Theory, Algorithm, and Phantom Study", International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2006, Article ID 053050, 11 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJBI/2006/53050
Elasto-mammography: Theory, Algorithm, and Phantom Study
A new imaging modality framework, called elasto-mammography, is proposed to generate the elastograms of breast tissues based on conventional X-ray mammography. The displacement information is extracted from mammography projections before and after breast compression. Incorporating the displacement measurement, an elastography reconstruction algorithm is specifically developed to estimate the elastic moduli of heterogeneous breast tissues. Case studies with numerical breast phantoms are conducted to demonstrate the capability of the proposed elasto-mammography. Effects of noise with measurement, geometric mismatch, and elastic contrast ratio are evaluated in the numerical simulations. It is shown that the proposed methodology is stable and robust for characterization of the elastic moduli of breast tissues from the projective displacement measurement.
- S. Muller, “Full-field digital mammography designed as a complete system,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1999.
- P. J. Kornguth and R. C. Bentley, “Mammographic-pathologic correlation: Part 1. Benign breast lesions,” Journal of Women's Imaging, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2001.
- A. P. Sarvazyan, A. R. Skovoroda, S. Y. Emelianov et al., “Biophysical bases of elasticity imaging,” in Acoustical Imaging, vol. 21, pp. 223–240, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- P. Wellman, R. Howe, E. Dalton, and K. A. Kern, “Breast tissue stiffness in compression is correlated to histological diagnosis,” Tech. Rep., Harvard BioRobotics Laboratory, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- A. R. Skovoroda, A. N. Klishko, D. A. Gusakian et al., “Quantitative analysis of mechanical characteristics of pathologically altered soft biological tissues,” Biofizika, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1335–1340, 1995.
- J. Ophir, I. Céspedes, H. Ponnekanti, Y. Yazdi, and X. Li, “Elastography: a quantitative method for imaging the elasticity of biological tissues,” Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 111–134, 1991.
- J. Ophir, S. K. Alam, B. Garra et al., “Elastography: ultrasonic estimation and imaging of the elastic properties of tissues,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, vol. 213, no. 3, pp. 203–233, 1999.
- R. Souchon, L. Soualmi, M. Bertrand, J.-Y. Chapelon, F. Kallel, and J. Ophir, “Ultrasonic elastography using sector scan imaging and a radial compression,” Ultrasonics, vol. 40, no. 1–8, pp. 867–871, 2002.
- R. Muthupillai, D. J. Lomas, P. J. Rossman, J. F. Greenleaf, A. Manduca, and R. L. Ehman, “Magnetic resonance elastography by direct visualization of propagating acoustic strain waves,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5232, pp. 1854–1857, 1995.
- A. Manduca, T. E. Oliphant, M. A. Dresner et al., “Magnetic resonance elastography: non-invasive mapping of tissue elasticity,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 237–254, 2001.
- D. B. Plewes, J. Bishop, A. Samani, and J. Sciarretta, “Visualization and quantification of breast cancer biomechanical properties with magnetic resonance elastography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1591–1610, 2000.
- A. Samani, J. Bishop, and D. B. Plewes, “A constrained modulus reconstruction technique for breast cancer assessment,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 877–885, 2001.
- Y. Liu, L. Z. Sun, and G. Wang, “Tomography-based 3-D anisotropic elastography using boundary measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1323–1333, 2005.
- D. C. Liu and J. Nocedal, “On the limited memory BFGS method for large scale optimization,” Mathematical Programming, vol. 45, no. 1–3, pp. 503–528, 1989.
- A. A. Oberai, N. H. Gokhale, and G. R. Feijóo, “Solution of inverse problems in elasticity imaging using the adjoint method,” Inverse Problems, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 297–313, 2003.
- T. Belytschko, W. K. Liu, and B. Moran, Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- D. Page, A. Koschan, S. Voisin, N. Ali, and M. Abidi, “3D CAD model generation of mechanical parts using coded-pattern projection and laser triangulation systems,” Assembly Automation, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 2005.
- J. D. Eshelby, “The determination of the elastic field of an ellipsoidal inclusion, and related problems,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, vol. 241, no. 1226, pp. 376–396, 1957.
- J. V. Hajnal, D. L. G. Hill, and D. J. Hawkes, Eds., Medical Image Registration, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2001.
Copyright © 2006 Z. G. Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.