- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Cell Biology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 463637, 4 pages
Alternative Cell Death Pathways and Cell Metabolism
Institute for Experimental Cancer Research in Pediatrics, Goethe-University Frankfurt, Komturstraße 3a, 60528 Frankfurt, Germany
Received 29 October 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: Claudia Cerella
Copyright © 2013 Simone Fulda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Galluzzi, I. Vitale, J. M. Abrams et al., “Molecular definitions of cell death subroutines: recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee on Cell Death 2012,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 107–120, 2012.
- P. Vandenabeele, L. Galluzzi, T. Vanden Berghe, and G. Kroemer, “Molecular mechanisms of necroptosis: an ordered cellular explosion,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 700–714, 2010.
- A. Oeckinghaus, M. S. Hayden, and S. Ghosh, “Crosstalk in NF-B signaling pathways,” Nature Immunology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 695–708, 2011.
- P. Vandenabeele, W. Declercq, F. Van Herreweghe, and T. V. Berghe, “The role of the kinases RIP1 and RIP3 in TNF-induced necrosis,” Science Signaling, vol. 3, no. 115, article re4, 2010.
- N. Vanlangenakker, T. Vanden Berghe, P. Bogaert et al., “cIAP1 and TAK1 protect cells from TNF-induced necrosis by preventing RIP1/RIP3-dependent reactive oxygen species production,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 656–665, 2011.
- T. Vanden Berghe, N. Vanlangenakker, E. Parthoens et al., “Necroptosis, necrosis and secondary necrosis converge on similar cellular disintegration features,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 922–930, 2010.
- D. W. Zhang, J. Shao, J. Lin et al., “RIP3, an energy metabolism regulator that switches TNF-induced cell death from apoptosis to necrosis,” Science, vol. 325, no. 5938, pp. 332–336, 2009.
- K. Schulze-Osthoff, A. C. Bakker, B. Vanhaesebroeck, R. Beyaert, W. A. Jacob, and W. Fiers, “Cytotoxic activity of tumor necrosis factor is mediated by early damage of mitochondrial functions. Evidence for the involvement of mitochondrial radical generation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 8, pp. 5317–5323, 1992.
- C. Brenner, K. Subramaniam, C. Pertuiset, and S. Pervaiz, “Adenine nucleotide translocase family: four isoforms for apoptosis modulation in cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 883–895, 2011.
- V. Temkin, Q. Huang, H. Liu, H. Osada, and R. M. Pope, “Inhibition of ADP/ATP exchange in receptor-interacting protein-mediated necrosis,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 2215–2225, 2006.
- K. Bedard and K. H. Krause, “The NOX family of ROS-generating NADPH oxidases: physiology and pathophysiology,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 245–313, 2007.
- Y. S. Kim, M. J. Morgan, S. Choksi, and Z. G. Liu, “TNF-induced activation of the Nox1 NADPH oxidase and its role in the induction of necrotic cell death,” Molecular Cell, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 675–687, 2007.
- N. Festjens, M. Kalai, J. Smet et al., “Butylated hydroxyanisole is more than a reactive oxygen species scavenger,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 166–169, 2006.
- N. Vanlangenakker, T. Vanden Berghe, D. V. Krysko, N. Festjens, and P. Vandenabeele, “Molecular mechanisms and pathophysiology of necrotic cell death,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 207–220, 2008.
- B. Brüne, “The intimate relation between nitric oxide and superoxide in apoptosis and cell survival,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 497–507, 2005.
- F. van Herreweghe, J. Mao, F. W. R. Chaplen et al., “Tumor necrosis factor-induced modulation of glyoxalase I activities through phosphorylation by PKA results in cell death and is accompanied by the formation of a specific methylglyoxal-derived AGE,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 949–954, 2002.
- M. Leist, B. Single, A. F. Castoldi, S. Kühnle, and P. Nicotera, “Intracellular adenosine triphosphate (ATP) concentration: a switch in the decision between apoptosis and necrosis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 185, no. 8, pp. 1481–1486, 1997.
- C. Soldani and A. I. Scovassi, “Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 cleavage during apoptosis: an update,” Apoptosis, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 321–328, 2002.
- X. Saelens, N. Festjens, E. Parthoens et al., “Protein synthesis persists during necrotic cell death,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 168, no. 4, pp. 545–551, 2005.
- X. M. Sun, M. Butterworth, M. MacFarlane, W. Dubiel, A. Ciechanover, and G. M. Cohen, “Caspase activation inhibits proteasome function during apoptosis,” Molecular Cell, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 81–93, 2004.
- W. X. Zong, D. Ditsworth, D. E. Bauer, Z. Q. Wang, and C. B. Thompson, “Alkylating DNA damage stimulates a regulated form of necrotic cell death,” Genes and Development, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1272–1282, 2004.
- A. C. Schinzel, O. Takeuchi, Z. Huang et al., “Cyclophilin D is a component of mitochondrial permeability transition and mediates neuronal cell death after focal cerebral ischemia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 34, pp. 12005–12010, 2005.
- S. W. Yu, H. Wang, M. F. Poitras et al., “Mediation of poty(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1—dependent cell death by apoptosis-inducing factor,” Science, vol. 297, no. 5579, pp. 259–263, 2002.
- C. Culmsee, C. Zhu, S. Landshamer et al., “Apoptosis-inducing factor triggered by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase and Bid mediates neuronal cell death after oxygen-glucose deprivation and focal cerebral ischemia,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 44, pp. 10262–10272, 2005.
- G. Kroemer, L. Galluzzi, and C. Brenner, “Mitochondrial membrane permeabilization in cell death,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 99–163, 2007.
- V. Shoshan-Barmatz and M. Golan, “Mitochondrial VDAC1: function in cell life and death and a target for cancer therapy,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 714–735, 2012.
- V. Giorgio, M. E. Soriano, E. Basso et al., “Cyclophilin D in mitochondrial pathophysiology,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1797, no. 6-7, pp. 1113–1118, 2010.
- T. Nakagawa, S. Shimizu, T. Watanabe et al., “Cyclophilin D-dependent mitochondrial permeability transition regulates some necrotic but not apoptotic cell death,” Nature, vol. 434, no. 7033, pp. 652–658, 2005.