- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 139328, 7 pages
A New Rapid and Sensitive Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of a Biopolymer Chitosan
Department of Pesticide Chemistry and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Alexandria University El-Shatby, Alexandria 21545, Egypt
Received 10 May 2012; Accepted 5 June 2012
Academic Editor: R. J. Linhardt
Copyright © 2012 Mohamed E. I. Badawy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. K. No and S. P. Meyers, “Preparation of chitin and chitosan,” in Chitin Handbook, R. A. A. Muzzarelli and M. G. Peter, Eds., pp. 475–489, European Chitin Society, 1997.
- S. Hirano, “Chitin biotechnology applications,” Biotechnology Annual Review, vol. 2, pp. 237–258, 1996.
- Y. Shigemasa and S. Minami, “Applications of chitin and chitosan for biomaterials,” Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews, vol. 13, pp. 383–420, 1996.
- E. I. Rabea, M. E. T. Badawy, C. V. Stevens, G. Smagghe, and W. Steurbaut, “Chitosan as antimicrobial agent: applications and mode of action,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1457–1465, 2003.
- F. Shahidi, J. K. V. Arachchi, and Y. J. Jeon, “Food applications of chitin and chitosans,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 37–51, 1999.
- M. Eikenes, M. Fongen, L. Roed, and Y. Stenstrøm, “Determination of chitosan in wood and water samples by acidic hydrolysis and liquid chromatography with online fluorescence derivatization,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2005.
- A. Tsuji, T. Kinoshita, and M. Hoshino, “Analytical chemical studies on amino sugars. II. Determination of hexosamines using 3-methyl-2-benzothiazolone hydrazone hydrochloride,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1505–1510, 1969.
- A. Tsuji, T. Kinoshita, and M. Hoshino, “Microdetermination of hexosamines,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 217–218, 1969.
- S. Roseman and I. Daffner, “Colorimetric method for determination of glucosamine and galactosamine,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1743–1746, 1956.
- N. I. Larionova, D. K. Zubaerova, D. T. Guranda, M. A. Pechyonkin, and N. G. Balabushevich, “Colorimetric assay of chitosan in presence of proteins and polyelectrolytes by using o-phthalaldehyde,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 724–727, 2009.
- Z. Dische and E. Borenfreund, “A spectrophotometric method for the microdetermination of hexosamines,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 517–522, 1950.
- E. Curotto and F. Aros, “Quantitative determination of chitosan and the percentage of free amino groups,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 240–241, 1993.
- S. Prochazkova, K. M. Vårum, and K. Østgaard, “Quantitative determination of chitosans by ninhydrin,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 1999.
- C. Wischke and H. H. Borchert, “Increased sensitivity of chitosan determination by a dye binding method,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 18, pp. 2978–2979, 2006.
- B. Miralles, M. Mengíbar, R. Harris, and A. Heras, “Suitability of a colorimetric method for the selective determination of chitosan in dietary supplements,” Food Chemistry, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 1836–1839, 2011.
- R. A. A. Muzzarelli, “Colorimetric determination of chitosan,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 260, no. 2, pp. 255–257, 1998.
- D. Sekmokiene, V. Speiciene, A. Salaseviciene, and G. Garmiene, “Determination of chitosan in food products,” Veterinarija ir Zootechnika, vol. 31, pp. 87–92, 2005.
- G. Lu, L. Wang, R. Wang, Y. Zeng, and X. Huang, “Determination of chitosan by cathodic stripping voltammetry,” Analytical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 575–578, 2006.
- T. R. Bosworth and J. E. Scott, “A specific fluorometric assay for hexosamines in glycosaminoglycans, based on deaminative cleavage with nitrous acid,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 266–273, 1994.
- A. Zamani, A. Jeihanipour, L. Edebo, C. Nlklasson, and M. J. Taherzadeh, “Determination of glucosamine and N-acetyl glucosamine in fungal cell walls,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 18, pp. 8314–8318, 2008.
- L. Daniels, R. S. Hanson, and J. A. Phillips, “Chemical analysis,” in Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, P. Gerhardt, R. G. E. Murray, W. A. Wood, and N. R. Krieg, Eds., pp. 518–519, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- M. Izume and A. Ohtakara, “Preparation of D-glucosamine oligosaccharides by the enzymatic hydrolysis of chitosan,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 51, pp. 1989–11991, 1987.
- S. Mao, X. Shuai, F. Unger, M. Simon, D. Bi, and T. Kissel, “The depolymerization of chitosan: effects on physicochemical and biological properties,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 281, no. 1-2, pp. 45–54, 2004.
- H. Sashiwa, H. Saimoto, Y. Shigemasa, and S. Tokura, “N-acetyl group distribution in partially deacetylated chitins prepared under homogeneous conditions,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 242, pp. 167–172, 1993.
- G. G. Allan and M. Peyron, “Molecular weight manipulation of chitosan. I: kinetics of depolymerization by nitrous acid,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 277, no. 2, pp. 257–272, 1995.
- G. G. Allan and M. Peyron, “Molecular weight manipulation of chitosan. II: prediction and control of extent of depolymerization by nitrous acid,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 277, no. 2, pp. 273–282, 1995.
- K. Tømmeraas, K. M. Vårum, B. E. Christensen, and O. Smidsrød, “Preparation and characterisation of oligosaccharides produced by nitrous acid depolymerisation of chitosans,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 333, no. 2, pp. 137–144, 2001.
- L. F. Tietze and U. Beifuss, “Sequential transformations in organic chemistry: a synthetic strategy with a future,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 131–163, 1993.
- D. A. Armbruster and T. Pry, “Limit of blank, limit of detection and limit of quantitation,” Clinical Biochemistry Review, vol. 29, supplement i, pp. S49–S52, 2008.
- W. Chen and R. Y. Y. Chiou, “A modified chemical procedure for rapid determination of glucosamine and its application for estimation of mold growth in peanut kernels and koji,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1999–2004, 1999.
- C. H. Ng, S. Hein, S. Chandrkrachang, and W. F. Stevens, “Evaluation of an improved acid hydrolysis-HPLC assay for the acetyl content in chitin and chitosan,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part B, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 155–160, 2006.
- F. Niola, N. Basora, E. Chornet, and P. F. Vidal, “A rapid method for the determination of the degree of N-acetylation of chitin-chitosan samples by acid hydrolysis and HPLC,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 238, pp. 1–9, 1993.
- X. Zhu, J. Cai, J. Yang, and Q. Su, “Determination of glucosamine in impure chitin samples by high-performance liquid chromatography,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 340, no. 10, pp. 1732–1738, 2005.
- T. Wu, S. Zivanovic, F. A. Draughon, and C. E. Sams, “Chitin and chitosan-value-added products from mushroom waste,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 26, pp. 7905–7910, 2004.