- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 954632, 7 pages
Optimization of Two-Step Acid-Catalyzed Hydrolysis of Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch for High Sugar Concentration in Hydrolysate
1Institute of Chemical & Engineering Sciences (ICES), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), 1 Pesek Road, Jurong Island, Singapore 627833
2Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, 4 Engineering Drive 4, Singapore 117576
Received 10 December 2013; Accepted 18 May 2014; Published 11 June 2014
Academic Editor: Doraiswami Ramkrishna
Copyright © 2014 Dongxu Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. H. A. Rahman, J. P. Choudhury, A. L. Ahmad, and A. H. Kamaruddin, “Optimization studies on acid hydrolysis of oil palm empty fruit bunch fiber for production of xylose,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 554–559, 2007.
- A. Hassan, A. A. Salema, F. N. Ani, and A. A. Bakar, “A review on oil palm empty fruit bunch fiber-reinforced polymer composite materials,” Polymer Composites, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 2079–2101, 2010.
- D. Piarpuzán, J. A. Quintero, and C. A. Cardona, “Empty fruit bunches from oil palm as a potential raw material for fuel ethanol production,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1130–1137, 2011.
- D. Zhang, Y. L. Ong, Z. Li, and J. C. Wu, “Optimization of dilute acid-catalyzed hydrolysis of oil palm empty fruit bunch for high yield production of xylose,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 181-182, pp. 636–642, 2012.
- M. Jawaid and H. P. S. Abdul Khalil, “Cellulosic/synthetic fibre reinforced polymer hybrid composites: a review,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2011.
- J.-H. Kim, D. E. Block, S. P. Shoemaker, and D. A. Mills, “Conversion of rice straw to bio-based chemicals: an integrated process using Lactobacillus brevis,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1375–1385, 2010.
- A. K. Chandel, C. ES, R. Rudravaram, M. L. Narasu, L. V. Rao, and P. Ravindra, “Economics and environmental impact of bioethanol production technologies: an appraisal,” Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 14–32, 2007.
- R. C. Kuhad and A. Singh, “Lignocellulose biotechnology. Current and future prospects,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 151–172, 1993.
- R. Fogel, R. R. Garcia, R. da Silva Oliveira, D. N. M. Palacio, L. da Silva Madeira, and N. Pereira Jr., “Optimization of acid hydrolysis of sugarcane bagasse and investigations on its fermentability for the production of xylitol by Candida guilliermondii,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 122, no. 1–3, pp. 741–752, 2005.
- C. Martin, B. Alriksson, A. Sjöde, N.-O. Nilvebrant, and L. J. Jönsson, “Dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment of agricultural and agro-industrial residues for ethanol production,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 137–140, no. 1–12, pp. 339–352, 2007.
- T.-S. Jeong, B.-H. Um, J.-S. Kim, and K.-K. Oh, “Optimizing dilute-acid pretreatment of rapeseed straw for extraction of hemicellulose,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 161, no. 1–8, pp. 22–33, 2010.
- A. L. Demain, “Small bugs, big business: the economic power of the microbe,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–514, 2000.
- H. Tao, R. Gonzalez, A. Martinez et al., “Engineering a homo-ethanol pathway in Escherichia coli: increased glycolytic flux and levels of expression of glycolytic genes during xylose fermentation,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. 2979–2988, 2001.
- M. Sedlak, H. J. Edenberg, and N. W. Y. Ho, “DNA microarray analysis of the expression of the genes encoding the major enzymes in ethanol production during glucose and xylose co-fermentation by metabolically engineered Saccharomyces yeast,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2003.
- A. Herrera, S. J. Téllez-Luis, J. A. Ramírez, and M. Vázquez, “Production of xylose from sorghum straw using hydrochloric acid,” Journal of Cereal Science, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 267–274, 2003.
- G.-L. Guo, W.-H. Chen, W.-H. Chen, L.-C. Men, and W.-S. Hwang, “Characterization of dilute acid pretreatment of silvergrass for ethanol production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 14, pp. 6046–6053, 2008.
- L. Yan, H. Zhang, J. Chen et al., “Dilute sulfuric acid cycle spray flow-through pretreatment of corn stover for enhancement of sugar recovery,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1803–1808, 2009.
- S. W. McKibbins, Kinetics of the Acid Catalyzed Conversion of Glucose to 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-Furaldehyde and Levulinic Acid, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis, USA, 1958.
- S. W. McKibbins, J. F. Harris, J. F. Saeman, and W. K. Neill, “Kinetics of the acid-catalyzed conversion of glucose to 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde and levulinic acid,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 1962.
- J. J. McParland, H. E. Grethlein, and A. O. Converse, “Kinetics of acid hydrolysis of corn stover,” Solar Energy, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 1982.
- J. F. Saeman, “Kinetics of wood saccharification-hydrolysis of cellulose and decomposition of sugars in dilute acid at high temperature,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 1945.
- S. E. Jacobsen and C. E. Wyman, “Cellulose and hemicellulose hydrolysis models for application to current and novel pretreatment processes,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 84–86, no. 1–9, pp. 81–96, 2000.
- Y. Lu and N. S. Mosier, “Kinetic modeling analysis of maleic acid-catalyzed hemicellulose hydrolysis in corn stover,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1170–1181, 2008.
- T. Kobayashi and Y. Sakai, “Hydrolysis rate of pentosan of hardwood in dilute sulfuric acid,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1956.
- A. Esteghlalian, A. G. Hashimoto, J. J. Fenske, and M. H. Penner, “Modeling and optimization of the dilute-sulfuric-acid pretreatment of corn stover, poplar and switchgrass,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 59, no. 2-3, pp. 129–136, 1997.
- J. F. Harris, A. J. Baker, A. H. Conner, et al., Two-Stage, Dilute Sulfuric Acid Hydrolysis of Wood: An Investigation of Fundamentals, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wis, USA, 1985.