- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Dentistry
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 541831, 6 pages
Removal of Gutta-Percha/Zinc-Oxide-Eugenol Sealer or Gutta-Percha/Epoxy Resin Sealer from Severely Curved Canals: An In Vitro Study
1Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha University, Chennai 600 077, India
2Department of Dental Material, Islamic Azad University, Dental Branch, Tehran, Iran
3Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology and Department of Endodontics, Dental Faculty, Tabriz University (Medical Sciences), Tabriz, Iran
4Bioscience Research Center, College of Dentistry, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
5Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Received 3 July 2011; Revised 25 August 2011; Accepted 25 August 2011
Academic Editor: Ali I. Abdalla
Copyright © 2011 Santhoshini Reddy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Stabholz and S. Friedman, “Endodontic retreatment—case selection and technique. Part 2: treatment planning for retreatment,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 607–614, 1988.
- M. P. Gordon, “The removal of gutta-percha and root canal sealers from root canals,” New Zealand Dental Journal, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 44–52, 2005.
- J. Ring, P. E. Murray, K. N. Mamerow, B. I. Moldauer, and F. Garcia-Godoy, “Removing root canal obturation materials: a comparison of rotary file systems and re-treatment agents,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 680–688, 2009.
- S. Friedman, A. Stabholz, and A. Tamse, “Endodontic retreatment—case selection and technique. Part 3. Retreatment techniques,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 543–549, 1990.
- J. L. Gutmann and P. E. Lovdahl, Problem Solving in Endodontics, Elsevier Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 5th edition, 2011.
- S. W. Schneider, “A comparison of canal preparations in straight and curved root canals,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 271–275, 1971.
- M. L. Zuolo, R. E. Walton, and N. Imura, “Histologic evaluation of three endodontic instrument/preparation techniques,” Endodontics and Dental Traumatology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 125–129, 1992.
- M. Hülsmann and V. Bluhm, “Efficacy, cleaning ability and safety of different rotary NiTi instruments in root canal retreatment,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 468–476, 2004.
- X. Huang, J. Ling, X. Wei, and L. Gu, “Quantitative evaluation of debris extruded apically by using proTaper universal tulsa rotary system in endodontic retreatment,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1102–1105, 2007.
- V. Giuliani, R. Cocchetti, and G. Pagavino, “Efficacy of protaper universal retreatment files in removing filling materials during root canal retreatment,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1381–1384, 2008.
- M. Duarte, M. V. Só, V. B. Cimadon, C. Zucatto, F. V. Vier-Pelisser, and M. C. Kuga, “Effectiveness of rotary or manual techniques for removing a 6-year-old filling material,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 148–152, 2010.
- L. I. rossman, Root Canal Therapy, Henry Kimpton, London, UK, 1940.
- C. M. Takahashi, R. S. Cunha, A. S. de Martin, C. E. Fontana, C. F. Silveira, and C. E. da Silveira Bueno, “In vitro evaluation of the effectiveness of protaper universal rotary retreatment system for gutta-percha removal with or without a solvent,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1580–1583, 2009.
- S. D. Horvath, M. J. Altenburger, M. Naumann, M. Wolkewitz, and J. F. Schirrmeister, “Cleanliness of dentinal tubules following gutta-percha removal with and without solvents: a scanning electron microscopic study,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1032–1038, 2009.
- J. J. Ferreira, J. S. Rhodes, and T. R. Pitt Ford, “The efficacy of gutta-percha removal using profiles,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 267–274, 2001.
- V. Sae-Lim, I. Rajamanickam, B. K. Lim, and H. L. Lee, “Effectiveness of profile .04 taper rotary instruments in endodontic retreatment,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 2000.
- M. J. Roggendorf, M. Legner, J. Ebert, E. Fillery, R. Frankenberger, and S. Friedman, “Micro-CT evaluation of residual material in canals filled with Activ GP or GuttaFlow following removal with NiTi instruments,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 200–209, 2010.
- H. Shemesh, A. C. Roeleveld, P. R. Wesselink, and M. K. Wu, “Damage to root dentin during retreatment procedures,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 63–66, 2011.
- C. Pirani, G. A. Pelliccioni, S. Marchionni, L. Montebugnoli, G. Piana, and C. Prati, “Effectiveness of three different retreatment techniques in canals filled with compacted gutta-percha or thermafil: a scanning electron microscope study,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1433–1440, 2009.
- J. E. de Mello Jr, R. S. Cunha, C. E. Bueno, and M. L. Zuolo, “Retreatment efficacy of gutta-percha removal using a clinical microscope and ultrasonic instruments: part I—an ex vivo study,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. e59–e62, 2009.
- N. Imura, A. S. Kato, G. I. Hata, M. Uemura, T. Toda, and F. Weine, “A comparison of the relative efficacies of four hand and rotary instrumentation techniques during endodontic retreatment,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 361–366, 2000.
- L. S. Gu, J. Q. Ling, X. Wei, and X. Y. Huang, “Efficacy of protaper universal rotary retreatment system for gutta-percha removal from root canals,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 288–295, 2008.
- F. Somma, G. Cammarota, G. Plotino, N. M. Grande, and C. H. Pameijer, “The effectiveness of manual and mechanical instrumentation for the retreatment of three different root canal filling materials,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 466–469, 2008.
- B. Aydin, T. Köse, and M. K. Çalişkan, “Effectiveness of HERO 642 versus Hedström files for removing gutta-percha fillings in curved root canals: an ex vivo study,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1050–1056, 2009.
- G. Unal, B. U. Kaya, A. G. Taç, and A. D. Keçeci, “A comparison of the efficacy of conventional and new retreatment instruments to remove gutta-percha in curved root canals: an ex vivo study,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 344–350, 2009.
- C. Estrela, M. R. Bueno, M. D. Sousa-Neto, and J. Pécora, “Method for determination of root curvature radius using cone-beam computed tomography images,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 114–118, 2008.
- P. T. Esposito and C. J. Cunningham, “A comparison of canal preparation with nickel-titanium and stainless steel instruments,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 173–176, 1995.
- C. R. Glosson, R. H. Haller, S. B. Dove, and C. E. del Rio, “A comparison of root canal preparations using Ni-Ti hand, Ni-Ti engine-driven, and K-Flex endodontic instruments,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 146–151, 1995.
- A. Y. Saad, S. M. Al-Hadlaq, and N. H. Al-Katheeri, “Efficacy of two rotary NiTi instruments in the removal of gutta-percha during root canal retreatment,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 38–41, 2007.
- C. M. Bramante, N. S. Fidelis, T. S. Assumpção et al., “Heat release, time required, and cleaning ability of Mtwo R and ProTaper universal retreatment systems in the removal of filling material,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1870–1873, 2010.
- M. F. Scelza, J. M. Coil, A. C. Maciel, L. R. Oliveira, and P. Scelza, “Comparative sem evaluation of three solvents used in endodontic retreatment: an ex vivo study,” Journal of Applied Oral Science, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 2008.
- T. Taşdemir, K. Er, T. Yildirim, and D. Çelik, “Efficacy of three rotary NiTi instruments in removing gutta-percha from root canals,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 191–196, 2008.
- J. F. Schirrmeister, K. M. Meyer, P. Hermanns, M. J. Altenburger, and K. T. Wrbas, “Effectiveness of hand and rotary instrumentation for removing a new synthetic polymer-based root canal obturation material (Epiphany) during retreatment,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 150–156, 2006.
- J. F. Schirrmeister, P. Hermanns, K. M. Meyer, F. Goetz, and E. Hellwig, “Detectability of residual Epiphany and gutta-percha after root canal retreatment using a dental operating microscope and radiographs—an ex vivo study,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 558–565, 2006.
- E. Bodrumlu, O. Uzun, O. Topuz, and M. Semiz, “Efficacy of 3 techniques in removing root canal filling material,” Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, vol. 74, no. 8, p. 721, 2008.
- G. de-Deus, B. Barino, R. Q. Zamolyi et al., “Suboptimal debridement quality produced by the single-file F2 protaper technique in oval-shaped canals,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1897–1900, 2010.