International Journal of Genomics

Long Noncoding RNAs: State of the Art and New Prospective

Publishing date
01 Jun 2018
Submission deadline
12 Jan 2018

1Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo di Pavia, Pavia, Italy

2Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy

3Translational Genomics Research Institute, Phoenix, USA

4University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy

5University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy

Long Noncoding RNAs: State of the Art and New Prospective


The human genome is composed of large and complex nucleotide sequences, which can produce more than 100,000 proteins through transcription and translation. Only 2% of genomic transcripts are translated into proteins; the remaining 98% do not have protein encoding function but play a key role on the processes of cell biology: these kinds of RNAs are called noncoding RNAs (ncRNAs).

Long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) account for more than 80% of ncRNAs. They were found to participate in a large variety of biological processes such as cell proliferation, morphogenesis, pluripotency, development, neuronal processes, and gametogenesis. These functions make lncRNAs vital for cellular health and homeostasis; conversely, their dysregulation has been described in tumorigenesis and in genetically inherited diseases.

The International Journal of Genomics seeks original as well as review articles for a special issue on lncRNAs. The goal of the issue is to stimulate a continuous effort to better understand the role of lncRNAs, to discover new functions, and their evaluation in diseases. The journal will also consider articles concerning new strategies and methods for large scale identification of lncRNAs in other organisms, including vertebrate and invertebrate animals, plants, and fungi, which have adapted epigenetic pathways in unique ways and have developed alternative phenotypes and behaviors that make them better suited for their environment. Thanks to cheap sequencing technologies and efficient genome editing tools, nonmodel organisms are emerging as potential experimental systems and are becoming accessible to molecular approaches.

Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:

  • Recent developments as biomarkers in inherited disease
  • Latest technologies for in silico prediction of structure and functions
  • New databases
  • Role of lncRNAs in cancer
  • Role of lncRNAs in aging and disease
  • Role of lncRNAs in common and rare diseases
  • lncRNAs mechanisms of biological processes regulation
  • lncRNAs as drug target
  • Epitranscriptome modifications of lncRNAs
  • lncRNAs in the multiomic context
  • lncRNAs in model organisms
  • Discovery and functional studies of novel noncoding RNAs in nonmodel organisms
International Journal of Genomics
 Journal metrics
See full report
Acceptance rate9%
Submission to final decision126 days
Acceptance to publication21 days
Journal Citation Indicator0.570
Impact Factor2.9
 Submit Evaluate your manuscript with the free Manuscript Language Checker

We have begun to integrate the 200+ Hindawi journals into Wiley’s journal portfolio. You can find out more about how this benefits our journal communities on our FAQ.