- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Hypertension
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 960546, 6 pages
Hypertension-Related Admissions and Outcome in a Tertiary Hospital in Northeast Nigeria
1Department of Medicine, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, PMB, Ilorin 1459, Nigeria
2Department of Medicine, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, PMB, Bauchi 0117, Nigeria
Received 14 February 2012; Revised 13 April 2012; Accepted 13 April 2012
Academic Editor: Roberto Pontremoli
Copyright © 2012 P. M. Kolo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization (WHO), “Non-communicable diseases country profiles 2011,” WHO Global Report, Geneva, Switzerland, September 2011, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502283_eng.pdf.
- L. H. Opie and Y. K. Seedat, “Hypertension in sub-Saharan African populations,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 23, pp. 3562–3568, 2005.
- B. J. C. Onwubere, E. C. Ejim, C. I. Okafor, et al., “Pattern of blood pressure indices among the residents of a rural community in South East Nigeria,” International Journal of Hypertension, vol. 2011, Article ID 621074, 6 pages, 2011.
- S. Kadiri, “Tackling cardiovascular disease in Africa,” British Medical Journal, vol. 331, article 711, 2005.
- A. N. Odili, T. Richart, L. Thijs, et al., “Rationale and design of the newer versus older antihypertensive agents in African hypertensive patients (NOAAH) trial,” Blood Pressure, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 256–266, 2011.
- C. J. L. Murray and A. D. Lopez, “Mortality by cause for eight regions of the world: global burden of disease study,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9061, pp. 1269–1276, 1997.
- P. M. Kearney, M. Whelton, K. Reynolds, P. Muntner, P. K. Whelton, and J. He, “Global burden of hypertension: analysis of worldwide data,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9455, pp. 217–223, 2005.
- V. A. Ukoh, “Admission of hypertensive patients at the university of Benin teaching hospital, Nigeria,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 329–335, 2007.
- S. O. Ike, “Prevalence of hypertension and its complications among medical admissions at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu (Study 2),” Nigerian Journal of Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 2009.
- N. O. Ndjeka and G. A. Ogunbanjo, “Disease patterns in the medical wards of a rural South Africal hospital,” South African Family Practice, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 10–11, 2003.
- C. Donnison, “Blood pressure in the African natives: its bearing upon aetiology of hyperpiesa and arteriosclerosis,” The Lancet, vol. 1, pp. 6–7, 1929.
- S. B. Garko, C. N. Ekweani, and C. A. Anyiam, “Duration of hospital stay and mortality in the medical wards of Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Kaduna,” Annals of African Medicine, vol. 2, pp. 68–71, 2003.
- R. Fuentes, N. Ilmaniemi, E. Laurikainen, J. Tuomilehto, and A. Nissinen, “Hypertension in developing economies: a review of population-based studies carried out from 1980 to 1998,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 521–529, 2000.
- P. Palatini, A. Benetos, and S. Julius, “Impact of increased heart rate on clinical outcomes in hypertension: implications for antihypertensive drug therapy,” Drugs, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 133–144, 2006.
- P. Palatini, “Heart rate: a cardiovascular risk factor that can no longer be ignored,” Giornale Italiano di Cardiologia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 119–128, 2006.
- S. Van Pelt and E. C. Jauch, “Average age at first stroke decreases in United States but not Italy,” American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) Scientific Assembly, September 2010, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/730149.
- S. O. Ogun, O. O. Adelowo, O. B. Familoni, A. E. Jaiyesimi, and E. A. Fakoya, “Pattern and outcome of medical admissions at the Ogun State University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu: a three year review,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 304–308, 2000.
- B. M. Mayosi, A. J. Flisher, U. G. Lalloo, F. Sitas, S. M. Tollman, and D. Bradshaw, “The burden of non-communicable diseases in South Africa,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9693, pp. 934–947, 2009.
- E. O. Sanya, A. A. Abiodun, P. Kolo, T. O. Olanrewaju, and K. Adekeye, “Profile and causes of mortality among elderly patients seen in a tertiary care hospital in Nigeria,” Annals of African Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 278–283, 2011.
- P. K. Whelton, “Declining mortality from hypertension and stroke,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1982.
- P. M. Kolo and A. Chijioke, “Gender disparities in mortality among medical admissions of a tertiary health facility in Ilorin, Nigeria,” The Internet Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, 2009.