Y. V. Venkatesh, S. Kumar Raja, G. Vidyasagar, "On the uncertainty inequality as applied to discrete signals", International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2006, Article ID 048185, 22 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJMMS/2006/48185
On the uncertainty inequality as applied to discrete signals
Given a continuous-time bandlimited signal, the Shannon sampling theorem provides an interpolation scheme for exactly reconstructing it from its discrete samples. We analyze the relationship between concentration (or compactness) in the temporal/spectral domains of the (i) continuous-time and (ii) discrete-time signals. The former is governed by the Heisenberg uncertainty inequality which prescribes a lower bound on the product of effective temporal and spectral spreads of the signal. On the other hand, the discrete-time counterpart seems to exhibit some strange properties, and this provides motivation for the present paper. We consider the following problem: for a bandlimited signal, can the uncertainty inequality be expressed in terms of the samples, using thestandard definitions of the temporal and spectral spreads of the signal? In contrast with the results of the literature, we present a new approach to solve this problem. We also present a comparison of the results obtained using the proposed definitions with those available in the literature.
- L. C. Calvez and P. Vilbe, “On the uncertainty principle in discrete signals,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and SystemsPart II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, vol. 6, no. 39, pp. 394–395, 1992.
- S. Dahlke and P. Maass, “The affine uncertainty principle in one and two dimensions. Concrete analysis,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 30, no. 3–6, pp. 293–305, 1995.
- L. Debnath, Ed., Wavelet Transforms and Time-Frequency Signal Analysis, Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis, Birkhäuser Boston, Massachusetts, 2001.
- L. Debnath, Wavelet Transforms and Their Applications, Birkhäuser Boston, Massachusetts, 2002.
- L. Debnath, Ed., Wavelets and Signal Processing, Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis, Birkhäuser Boston, Massachusetts, 2003.
- V. DeBrunner, M. Özaydin, and T. Przebinda, “Resolution in time-frequency,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 783–788, 1999.
- A. Dembo, T. M. Cover, and J. A. Thomas, “Information-theoretic inequalities,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1501–1518, 1991.
- D. L. Donoho and X. Huo, “Uncertainty principles and ideal atomic decomposition,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 2845–2862, 2001.
- D. L. Donoho and P. B. Stark, “Uncertainty principles and signal recovery,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 906–931, 1989.
- M. I. Doroslovački, “Product of second moments in time and frequency for discrete-time signals and the uncertainty limit,” Signal Processing, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 59–76, 1998.
- M. I. Doroslovački, H. Fan, and P. M. Djuric, “Time-frequency localization for sequences,” in Proceedings of the IEEE-SP International Symposium on Time-Frequency and Time-Scale Analysis, pp. 159–162, Victoria, British Columbia, 1992.
- G. B. Folland and A. Sitaram, “The uncertainty principle: a mathematical survey,” The Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 207–238, 1997.
- F. J. Harris, “On the use of windows for harmonic analysis with the discrete Fourier transform,” Proceedins of IEEE, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 51–83, 1978.
- R. Ishii and K. Furukawa, “The uncertainty principle in discrete signals,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1032–1034, 1986.
- A. Papoulis, Signal Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
- T. Przebinda, V. DeBrunner, and M. Özaydin, “Using a new uncertainty measure to determine optimal bases for signal representations,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 3, pp. 1365–1368, Arizona, 1999.
- T. Przebinda, V. DeBrunner, and M. Özaydin, “The optimal transform for the discrete Hirschman uncertainty principle,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 2086–2090, 2001.
Copyright © 2006 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.